Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counterfeit Engelhard 1-ounce silver Prospectors

Great Value Carrots StreetsOfGold's Avatar
    Thanks

Counterfeit Engelhard 1-ounce silver Prospectors

Fake Round Can Cause Real Problem
    By Patrick A. Heller
    August 14, 2012

Counterfeit Engelhard 1-ounce silver Prospector rounds have surfaced. Engelhard was one of the most popular brand names of manufacturers of silver bars and rounds up into the mid- to late-1980s. Their 1-ounce round silver Prospectors are still highly desired by investors in physical silver, even though they have not been made for a quarter-century.

At the ANA show, another dealer brought a few pieces of counterfeit Prospectors to warn other dealers of their existence. The fakes, which showed up in Florida, had the proper diameter and thickness and weighed only about 0.5 grams light. Such pieces would almost certainly fool the general public as well as dealers who did not pay close attention. The bad pieces contained about 60 percent copper, 39 percent zinc and a smidgen of nickel, which was then silver-plated. The surfaces were mirror proof-like whereas most Prospectors have a frosty satiny look. The fakes at the ANA all had the large “E” in the center of the reverse inside a globe (as appeared on earlier Prospectors) rather than the eagle that was used on later Prospectors. If a few of these were mixed in a large batch of silver rounds, they could easily pass from hand to hand without notice.

Counterfeit silver Eagle green boxes have been spotted. One dealer reported that it was now possible to purchase counterfeit green plastic boxes in which 500-coin lots of U.S. silver Eagle dollars are sealed at the U.S. Mint. It would be a relatively simple task for crooks to fill such boxes with a variety of less valuable products, and seal them with a plastic strap and counterfeit U.S. Mint seal.

While there were no reports of counterfeit sealed boxes of silver Eagles, yet, this is an ominous development. Many buyers of bulk silver Eagles want to acquire them in sealed boxes, in the hopes that some of the coins might grade perfect Mint State-70. But, if sealed boxes cannot be guaranteed to contain 500 silver Eagles, the first change that would probably occur is that custodians of Individual Retirement Accounts precious metals and coins will start to refuse to accept such coins in sealed boxes. The current premiums at which these boxes trade could evaporate as sealed boxes would largely become unsalable.

A new fake? New shortage? One of the reasons to attend coin shows is to gain insights from others on a face-to-face basis that might not occur over the telephone, or over the Internet.

Intelligence can help in predicting which market niches have better or worse prospects, which dealers might be in financial difficulty, and what is hot and what is not.

I was one of four members of my company to attend the American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money in Philadelphia last week. While buying and selling coins and paper money, attending meetings, and receiving awards, here is a sampling of some of the information we picked up that I think readers would appreciate knowing:

Will there soon be a shortage of U.S. $20 gold pieces? A few months ago, the premiums on pre-1934 double eagles fell so low that some pieces could be purchased for premiums similar to what it would cost to purchase U.S. American Eagle and U.S. Buffalo gold coins. On a wholesale basis, that means that there was no incentive for European sellers to liquidate the coins for scrap metal value. Even though there is not a frenzy of demand for double eagles, supplies are tightening and premiums are slowly rising.

Unusually large supplies of U.S. gold coins are coming from France. Buyers of U.S. coins working in Europe report that U.S. gold coins are more readily available in France than usual, while supplies in other European countries are less common. This shift in supply could be an indication of the relative financial straits in France.

Strong demand for “fresh” low-priced inventory. In show reports, there are consistent dealer laments about the dearth of “fresh” inventory. This lament doesn’t just apply to top quality or high-priced coins. Because two of our staff drove to the show, they were able to bring along dozens of boxes of collector coins stapled in cardboard 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 or 2x2 holders. In other words, most of these coins were worth less than $20 apiece wholesale. At most shows that someone on my staff attends, we are not able to bring as much inventory to offer for sale. As a consequence, our coins were generally considered “fresh” on the wholesale market. As best I can tell, we sold between 1,000 and 2,000 such coins at the ANA. I’m not going to brag that the prices were especially strong, but we also weren’t giving away anything.

Areas of especial interest included Indian cents, early and scarce date Lincoln cents, early Buffalo nickels, Barber dimes, early Mercury dimes, Barber quarters, Standing Liberty quarters, Bust half dollars, Barber half dollars, and early Walking Liberty half dollars. The coins of most interest were those that were at least a bit nicer than the typical quality for the date.

The word was hotel buyers are cutting back on operations. One of the largest companies that blanketed the country with these buyers for a few days at a time has canceled almost all activity for the past two months. The reason is that they are simply not purchasing enough material to cover the travel and advertising overhead costs. This is happening even though such buying operations have frequently been reported as paying a very small percentage of wholesale value for the coins, paper money, collectibles and jewelry (especially when compared to prices offered by local merchants).

http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Arti...rticleId=25621

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StreetsOfGold For This Useful Post:

Blink (15th August 2012),chad (14th August 2012),gunDriller (16th August 2012),mamboni (15th August 2012),milehi (15th August 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Re: Counterfeit Engelhard 1-ounce silver Prospectors

Dang, this is getting worse and worse every day. Only .5 grams off? That's so small a difference it could account for normal wear on an old bullion coin.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks
    Thanked 2,105 Times in 1,033 Posts

great. i have a bunch of prospectors. great.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

These counterfeits must be sourced from China. The Chinese have been shown quite capable of virtually perfect knockoffs. Their Morgan fakes are so good even numismatic experts are fooled. Now they're faking modern bullion coins? This is going to cause major damage to the bullion market. Imagine being afraid to buy a generic SAE? The two selling points of the SAE were it's liquidity and impossibility of being a fake - no one would waste the time and effort to fake mere bullion, right?
    I guess this too has changed.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Thanks
    Thanked 2,105 Times in 1,033 Posts

so glad i dumped all of the 100 ounce bars and converted them to rounds. the 100 ounce bars are going to be waaaaaaay discounted if this continues.

Platinum
    Thanks

The dimensions in the OP don't add up. The composition given would have a density of 8.25 g/cc. At the standard diameter of 40.6mm for a silver round, that would make a solid disc of 2.87mm to weigh 30.6 grams (.5 grams light as stated). The standard thickness is 2.98 mm. This means that the face relief of the fake would only be .11 mm or .0043". That's .002 per face. It would look like it was etched instead of stamped and be immediately visible as a fake.
    I'm not saying forget what you lost.
    I suppose there's a purpose in pain.
    What we make of ourselves has a cost,
    and it's paid every time we take hold of the reins.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Great Value Carrots Silver Rocket Bitches!'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 590 Posts

I wonder if they pass the ping test.
    everything we learn changes that which we know to be true

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Rocket Bitches! View Post
    I wonder if they pass the ping test.
    Based on the video Horn posted it doesn't sound like it.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Great Value Carrots 1970 silver art's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Based on the video Horn posted it doesn't sound like it.
    It did not pass the "ping" test. That is one of the sure ways to tell if it is real or fake. It is not a perfect test but it works most of the time IMO. Generally speaking, a failed ping test + way underweight (weighs less than 29 grams) = fake.
    DISCLAIMER: My gut feeling on silver is just that................My gut feeling. I have absolutely nothing to back up any gut feeling that I might have on silver.

DISCLAIMER2: I am not really a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.

Pepperoni Pizza + Orange Juice + Netflix + Silver art bars = My life.

ATTENTION!!! I stood up to the TP king by making a 3-roll tp bet with him and guess what?............I won.