Thread: China And The Recipe For $12,000 Gold

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Red face China And The Recipe For $12,000 Gold

China And The Recipe For $12,000 Gold

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/asset...awiggin_40.jpg Addison Wiggin, Contributor

Gold has steadily advanced over the last 60 days from $1,600 to this morning’s $1,742. The IAU and GLD have been off to the races. Which is making some people a little nervous. For instance: “Can you comment,” a reader asks, “on what you think might happen to the price of gold if Romney gets elected?” I’ll tackle that question today in the course of examining some longer-term trends that will prove immune to whatever happens [checking the calendar] 25 days from now [thank God].

One of the most respected gold fund managers sees gold reaching for a new high inside the next 12 months. In his latest shareholder letter, Tocqueville Gold Fund chieftain John Hathaway bases that forecast on continued negative real interest rates: That is, as long as central banks push interest rates below the rate of inflation, gold performs well.

“Some suggest,” Hathaway writes by way of answering the reader’s question, “that a Republican victory in November would be a game changer for gold. It could bring about the dismissal of Bernanke, the taming of fiscal deficits, the painless elimination of excess liquidity from bloated central bank balance sheets and the restoration of robust economic growth.” [Pausing while your editor guffaws…]

“All of this,” Mr. Hathaway goes on, “would need to occur within the four years allotted to a new administration while voters patiently awaited the magic to take effect. While this rosy scenario is possible, we believe it would be a long shot.

“Therefore, we regard any possible pre-election weakness in gold and mining stocks based on such a possibility as a buying opportunity.”

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/great...in_101212B.gif
    A few mainstream analysts, believe it or not, are one-upping Mr. Hathaway.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch has assembled an intriguing chart tracking the expansion of the Federal Reserve’s balance sheet going back to the first round of “quantitative easing” in early 2009… and the price of gold. The chart yields a target both for next summer and the end of 2014.

Those numbers might prove conservative. “This target doesn’t take the love trade into consideration,” writes Vancouver favorite and U.S. Global Investors head Frank Holmes, who brought the chart to our attention.

The “love trade” is his term for the centuries-long affinity that Chinese and Indians have had for gold, in contrast to the Western-minded “fear trade.”

In recent months, Indian demand has slumped as the local currency weakened, driving the rupee price of gold to all-time highs. Now that trend is starting to reverse: The exchange rate is now back where it was six months ago, and UBS reports Indian gold demand at a five-month high.

“In addition,” says Mr. Holmes, “Diwali will be celebrated in November. The Festival of Lights is India’s biggest and most important holiday of the year and is celebrated by almost 1 billion Hindus around the world. Traditionally, on the first day of Diwali, it is considered auspicious to clean the home and shop for gold.”

more of this most excellent read at: http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...or-12000-gold/
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

Re: China And The Recipe For $12,000 Gold

I am lucky in that all that I have to do is to sit back and wait till it happens ...... with my BP of 185/129 I no longer worry about all that yack,yack, yac,................and NO I don't take any BP medications, I don't want to die........to me that's like taking the flu shots........does nothing and it will kill you.
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce