Thread: Why is the City of Anaheim ordering ballistics vests for their firefighters?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,378 Posts

Why is the City of Anaheim ordering ballistics vests for their firefighters?

I subscribe to a bid notification system and just got this here's the basic blurb.Attachment 3949

2. The Following User Says Thank You to General of Darkness For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (6th November 2012)

Thanks

Re: Why is the City of Anaheim ordering ballistics vests for their firefighters?

Whoa!

Starting a few years ago, the firefighters around here were trained to report "terrorists" (the description of which includes owning firearms, ammo, and a cache of food . . . so me).

Perhaps the Anaheim firefighters were trained similarly, and want to protect themselves from the potential repercussions of outing "terrorists".

Or more likely, they're outfitting everyone in Southern California with ballistic vests, because S is going to HTF there, sooner rather than later.
    The more you live, the less you will die. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ If you want to be somebody else, change your mind.

slowbell

Re: Why is the City of Anaheim ordering ballistics vests for their firefighters?

Firefighters are first responders, a lot of times beating police and ambulance to the scene. It's not uncommon for them to be shot at. There's a book that's a fantastic read, report from engine co 82. Written firsthand by a FDNY firefighter in the 70's in the bronx. They were shot at a lot, just driving to the scene. Back then they had guys on the tailgate of their engines. Folks would pull a fire call box to report violent crimes. Just because the call box was there and they needed help, from anyone.

I do think it's odd that Anaheim guys need vests. When I think of Anaheim, I think of Disneyland.

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

They anticipate mass rioting for whatever reason, and in a riot people burn things, requiring the fire dept to respond. Rioters also are likely to be slinging projectiles of various types, including lead.

Perhaps the fire dept would prefer not be a subject to crossfire casualties.

Judging from recent bid requests, .gov seems to be pretty sure they are going to have issues to deal with in the very near future.
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BrewTech For This Useful Post:

undgrd (6th November 2012)

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowbell View Post
    Firefighters are first responders, a lot of times beating police and ambulance to the scene. It's not uncommon for them to be shot at. There's a book that's a fantastic read, report from engine co 82. Written firsthand by a FDNY firefighter in the 70's in the bronx. They were shot at a lot, just driving to the scene. Back then they had guys on the tailgate of their engines. Folks would pull a fire call box to report violent crimes. Just because the call box was there and they needed help, from anyone.

I do think it's odd that Anaheim guys need vests. When I think of Anaheim, I think of Disneyland.
    As it turns out I was typing my response at the same time you were...

Anaheim also reminds me of this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/25...ials-call-for/
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

slowbell

Quote Originally Posted by BrewTech View Post
    They anticipate mass rioting for whatever reason, and in a riot people burn things, requiring the fire dept to respond. Rioters also are likely to be slinging projectiles of various types, including lead.

Perhaps the fire dept would prefer not be a subject to crossfire casualties.
    That's got to be it. EMT's and Paramedics wear bullet proof vests in most of the big cities. I bet these firefighters have vests just in case of some major rioting. Personally, I wouldn't want to wear one with all the gear you have to wear anyway.

I've got lot's of fire dept stories.

One Captain of ours, was at the station by himself when a guy knocked on the door. Not uncommon, lot's of folks stop by, kids say hi, etc. He answers the door and the guy was very distraught, acting very off. The guy walks off, all of a sudden gunshot. The guy drops to the ground. The captain thought the shooter was going to shoot him next. Got inside the fire house and called the cops. Turns out the guy shot himself. Good thing he didn't shoot the captain before killing himself.

Another couple of guys responded to a medical call. Find a woman not breathing. They start CPR, standard type of call. All of a sudden 5 gang bangers come marching up from the basement with guns, on drugs. Those two guys had to get the heck out that house, until the cops could get there. Had to stop CPR. That woman died.

freespirit

i wonder if perhaps a firefighter was injured in a fire by stored ammunition going off from the intense heat... if your house is burning and you have a few boxes of ammo in there, that makes a potentially life threatening situation...

Thanks

Yes, during riots they do shoot at fire trucks. St. Petersburg Fire Dept was shot at during the 1996 riots. They now have vests in case there's another riot in the future.
    It's good to be the King!