Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bitcoin Tracking Thread

Thanks

Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

I don't know enough about it, but anything electronic can be hacked. i'm a bit leery.
    Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum - I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

My GPG Pub key:
    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=steyr_m&op=index&fingerprint=on

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 4,576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steyr_m View Post
    I don't know enough about it, but anything electronic can be hacked. i'm a bit leery.
    Hackers steal over $12,000 of Bitcoins from transaction broker Bitinstant
    By Nathan Ingraham on March 8, 2013 03:41 pm Email @NateIngraham

Online institutions of all types are vulnerable to hacking, and Bitcoin is no exception: last week, hackers stole over $12,000 worth of Bitcoin currency from Bitinstant, one of the bigger Bitcoin transaction sites. As with many recent hacks, the Bitcoin theft was executed thanks to a bit of social engineering. According to the Bitinstant blog, the attacker went to the company's domain registrar posing as a Bitinstant employee — the attacker had a similar enough email address and knowledge of the employee's date of birth and mother's maiden name. From there, the attacker convinced the domain registrar to make the fake email address the default and to reset the account's password.

Once the attacker had access to the Bitinstant domain, he redirected the DNS to servers in Germany and then to the Ukraine, locking out the Bitinstant employees and gaining access to their email accounts. With control over the email accounts, they reset the login for a Bitcoin exchange and stole the $12,800 in three separate transactions. Getting access to the Bitcoin exchange proved simple because of a lack of two-factor authentication — all the thieves needed was a username and password.

Fortunately for Bitinstant and the company's customers, no personal information was obtained by the hacker — the company says it keeps all personal and transactional data offline to protect user privacy. Sadly, it wasn't as vigilant with other forms of security. Wired reports that Virwox, the Bitcoin exchange hackers raided, has supported multi-factor authentication since September of 2012. "Bitinstant was not using it (they learned and do now)," a Virwox representative told Wired.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/8/408...rom-bitinstant
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EE_ View Post
    Hackers steal over $12,000 of Bitcoins from transaction broker Bitinstant
    By Nathan Ingraham on March 8, 2013 03:41 pm Email @NateIngraham

Online institutions of all types are vulnerable to hacking, and Bitcoin is no exception: last week, hackers stole over $12,000 worth of Bitcoin currency from Bitinstant, one of the bigger Bitcoin transaction sites. As with many recent hacks, the Bitcoin theft was executed thanks to a bit of social engineering. According to the Bitinstant blog, the attacker went to the company's domain registrar posing as a Bitinstant employee — the attacker had a similar enough email address and knowledge of the employee's date of birth and mother's maiden name. From there, the attacker convinced the domain registrar to make the fake email address the default and to reset the account's password.

Once the attacker had access to the Bitinstant domain, he redirected the DNS to servers in Germany and then to the Ukraine, locking out the Bitinstant employees and gaining access to their email accounts. With control over the email accounts, they reset the login for a Bitcoin exchange and stole the $12,800 in three separate transactions. Getting access to the Bitcoin exchange proved simple because of a lack of two-factor authentication — all the thieves needed was a username and password.

Fortunately for Bitinstant and the company's customers, no personal information was obtained by the hacker — the company says it keeps all personal and transactional data offline to protect user privacy. Sadly, it wasn't as vigilant with other forms of security. Wired reports that Virwox, the Bitcoin exchange hackers raided, has supported multi-factor authentication since September of 2012. "Bitinstant was not using it (they learned and do now)," a Virwox representative told Wired.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/8/408...rom-bitinstant
    This sucks, but really is no different than old fashioned bank robbery. The difference is, there is no FDIC or central issuing authority to simply print more bitcoins into existence and make the victims whole.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

I'll give you guys a hint. Bankers what to shut Bitcoin down. They want to do whatever they can to discredit it. Make you afraid. Exchanges are the targets.

I've had Bitcoins stolen from me myself. I learned my lesson. You treat it like cash, don't treat it like a credit card or your bank. Understand that if you sell Bitcoins, someone can report the dollars they gave you as stolen and get a chargeback (what happened to me.) So only go to exchanges like Mt. Gox. Don't trust anyone other than a trusted exchange, and when you finish your trading, pull your dollars and Bitcoins out of their servers ASAP and store it on your hard drive(s).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,105 Times in 1,033 Posts

emp burst = no more bitcoins

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    emp burst = no more bitcoins
    If there was an EMP burst civilization would collapse. That's why you have Gold, Silver, Ammo, and Physical Dollars.

Bitcoins are an online currency. They compete with things like the credit card and Paypal type systems.

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

Currently at $53.99

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420 View Post
    Currently at $53.99
    Ok now it's at $54.88

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420 View Post
    Ok now it's at $54.88
    You can thank Argentina price controls for sparking demand in bitcoins, and Cyprus getting ready to take a haircut. With a limited supply demand will dictate price.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 999 Posts

I wonder if the financial "electronic" pillage going on in Cyprus and other places like Argentina is in large part causing this current run into bitcoins.

Problem-reaction-solution.

It's true I don't know dick about cryptography and I suppose that's a part of the reason for my skepticism of this bitcoin "business model." Yeah, I'm fucking stupid, I know.

But read this quote.

Fortunately for Bitinstant and the company's customers, no personal information was obtained by the hacker — the company says it keeps all personal and transactional data offline to protect user privacy. Sadly, it wasn't as vigilant with other forms of security.
    This brings to mind another ignorant question. If every buy and sell transaction occurs through an exchange like Bitinstant, what prevents these exchanges from being owned and operated by the Banksters themselves, who in that case would be the keepers of the personal and transactional data in the first place? If that were the case, they would already control every bit of the electronic information from the get go, wouldn't they?
    "Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they found it."