Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1088

Thread: The Bitcoin Tracking Thread

  1. #21
    Platinum Golden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,129
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 159 Times in 110 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

    The exchange systems are the achilles heal. Achtung mania!
    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

  2. #22
    Moderator madfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,469
    Thanks
    7,039
    Thanked 7,729 Times in 3,841 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

    Last price:$60.11100
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that Iím very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

  3. #23
    Platinum Son-of-Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,560
    Thanks
    374
    Thanked 490 Times in 278 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

    I really don't know much about bitcoin either but I am pretty skeptical.

    Nobody really knows who developed it and I can't help but think if you were the original designer why not rig it so you start with millions of bitcoins that you just don't spend. Nobody else would know they exist and you could just sit back and wait until bitcoins rise in price to $1000 each or more then you start to convert your bitcoins and bam, instant billionare off the backs of all the chumps.

    Of course I don't know enough about programing to know if this is even possible but if they are anonymous and can be stored offline I don't see why there wouldn't be a way to game the system if you were the developer of the whole thing.
    You think that the machine is so powerful that you can't fight, when the reality is that you're the battery that powers the machine.

  4. #24
    Bitcoin Miner Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,304
    Thanks
    5,804
    Thanked 8,052 Times in 3,965 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

    Quote Originally Posted by Son-of-Liberty View Post
    I really don't know much about bitcoin either but I am pretty skeptical.

    Nobody really knows who developed it and I can't help but think if you were the original designer why not rig it so you start with millions of bitcoins that you just don't spend. Nobody else would know they exist and you could just sit back and wait until bitcoins rise in price to $1000 each or more then you start to convert your bitcoins and bam, instant billionare off the backs of all the chumps.

    Of course I don't know enough about programing to know if this is even possible but if they are anonymous and can be stored offline I don't see why there wouldn't be a way to game the system if you were the developer of the whole thing.
    That's the beauty with Bitcoin, every coin in circulation points back and is authenticated with the ledger that created it. So if the creator wanted to come back with a million or so coins. The network would discard them as being fakes and not allow them into circulation. The source code is freely available here So if you're familiar with code you can go through and look for back doors. It's completely open source, nothing is hidden.

    The bitcoin network uses SHA256 encryption. With network hashing rate of 47Thashes a sec which equals to 503.57 PetaFLOPS, making it faster than 500 of the worlds fastest super computers. The only real way to "hack" the bitcoin network is to outperform it's hash rate. Which currently is impossible with current technology.

    Now get into quantum computing then it might be possible.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

  5. #25
    Moderator madfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,469
    Thanks
    7,039
    Thanked 7,729 Times in 3,841 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

    Quote Originally Posted by Son-of-Liberty View Post
    Of course I don't know enough about programing to know if this is even possible but if they are anonymous and can be stored offline I don't see why there wouldn't be a way to game the system if you were the developer of the whole thing.
    Every transaction is independently verified by tens of thousands of separate computers in a system called the block chain. The block chain is the ledger showing every transaction in the bitcoin universe. This is what bitcoin miners do; they run software that independently tracks and verifies every transaction in the network. If a sole entity tried to add even a single bitcoin to his account without a corresponding entity sending him that bitcoin, the block chain would not verify that transaction and it would be rejected. Imagine a room with a thousand accountants tracking the same transactions and one of them tried to pull some funny stuff, the 999 other ones wouldn't verify it.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that Iím very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

    Ares (19th March 2013)

  7. #26
    Great Value Carrots
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,003
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,192 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

    Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Every transaction is independently verified by tens of thousands of separate computers in a system called the block chain. The block chain is the ledger showing every transaction in the bitcoin universe. This is what bitcoin miners do; they run software that independently tracks and verifies every transaction in the network. If a sole entity tried to add even a single bitcoin to his account without a corresponding entity sending him that bitcoin, the block chain would not verify that transaction and it would be rejected. Imagine a room with a thousand accountants tracking the same transactions and one of them tried to pull some funny stuff, the 999 other ones wouldn't verify it.

    This stuff is way over my head. Usually when something is so complex it is open to various methods of attack. If I can't understand something, it just doesn't seem wise to me. Often the reason for complexity is to hide the truth. In the real world, the more complex an organism is, the more ways there are to circumvent it's defenses. I think this is an accident waiting to happen to those who put too much faith in it.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

    Blink (7th April 2013)

  9. #27
    Chatmaster Flash vacuum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,279
    Thanks
    2,144
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,153 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

    The value of bitcoins is so high right now that you could make a lot of money by being the first one to find a weakness.

    I'm sure the code has been gone through with a fine-toothed comb by many people.

  10. #28
    Unobtanium Shami-Amourae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    14,020
    Thanks
    3,062
    Thanked 7,408 Times in 4,201 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

    This is the first time I've held absolutely 0 Bitcoins in several years.

    Just saying.

  11. #29
    Great Value Carrots
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,003
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,192 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...

    Quote Originally Posted by vacuum View Post
    The value of bitcoins is so high right now that you could make a lot of money by being the first one to find a weakness.

    I'm sure the code has been gone through with a fine-toothed comb by many people.
    I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I just believe that everything has it's weak spot. Weak points will be exploited.

  12. #30
    Unobtanium Shami-Amourae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    14,020
    Thanks
    3,062
    Thanked 7,408 Times in 4,201 Posts

    Re: Right now the Bitcoin price is at par with Silver Spot price...


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shami-Amourae For This Useful Post:

    woodman (19th March 2013)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •