Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Motorcycles

Wondering who out there is a motorsickle fan? Only messed about with small ones when I was a wee lad but never enough to call myself a rider. Wanted to get a bike from time to time. I thought if SHTF then a trail/cross bike could be a handy mode of transport to have.

Been looking again, but more about ticking something off the bucket list. Seems bucket lists are popular these days. Used to be called a mid life crisis but now its the things to do before kicking the proverbial.

I don't think I'm a candidate for a sport bike. I'm not in much of a hurry these days. A sport tourer maybe. Until this year, new riders have been limitted to 250CC capacity bikes for the first 12 months. This changed in some Aussie states a couple years ago when they increased this to 650CC. I think 250CC is about 15 Cubic Inches and 650cc is about 40.

I didn't want to have to buy 2 bikes just to get to a decent size bike. I think they cottoned on to this and changed it. A lot of mid life people are now getting into bikes for the first time.

I got to looking at cruisers. Obviously you got your harleys. I don't think I'm a harley dude but I do like that style of bike. I was looking at things like the royal enfield which is a small thumper. Kind of nostalgic. I saw the Indians which are very cool but not quite my style.

Then I saw that Honda does a few cruisers which look pretty good. They do a Shadow which looks the business. It's 400CC so well below the limit. Then I saw the Star bikes from yamaha. They have a couple in at 650CC which I like the look of. Good price new. Not many second hand here in WA because they haven't really sold them much before now. Mostly because of the restrictions on new riders which have been lifted.

From reading around, most owners love their V Stars regardless of capacity and age. They seem to be exceptionally reliable and many people put big miles on them. I think this would be the bike for me if I can get it together to buy one.

So, who here rides? What ya got? How much do you love riding it? Do you have one of these V Stars or similar? Are you a cruiser or a rider?
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Silver
    Thanks

Re: Motorcycles

The wife and I rode Harley's for years but finally sold the bikes two years ago. Living in MN the riding season was short and age was starting to catch up with us.
    If you want a "Made in America" bike the Polaris line is very good at a reasonable price. http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en...otorcycle.aspx
    If you want to do long distance riding the Honda Gold wing is a great bike for reliability and comfort.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JFN111 For This Useful Post:

Glass (27th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,331 Times in 5,107 Posts
    I am 71 years old. I am still riding my Harley, but not to the extent I rode It when I was younger. I used to average about 12000 miles a year. Now I only ride It a little in the summer months.
    I had a 1987 Harley-Davidson FLT Tour Glide I rode 187,000 miles. It was a very realiable bike. It broke down once about 10 miles from home. In the 187,000 miles I never had to add oil between oil changes. I changed oil every 5000 miles.

I would strongly advise you to take a begining riders motorcycles safely course before you start riding.
    The only thing declared necessary in the Constitution & Bill of Rights is the #2A Militia of the several States.
    “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a freeState”
    https://ConstitutionalMilitia.org

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

Glass (27th March 2013),Libertarian_Guard (27th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

Still made in America. Runs for 9 hours on a tank that holds less than 3 gallons. Mine is a little older.
    http://www.rokon.com/index.php?p=1_4_Trail-Breaker
    http://www.rokon.com/web_images/Mous...ailbreaker.jpg
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palani For This Useful Post:

Camp Bassfish (27th March 2013),Glass (27th March 2013),Hillbilly (27th March 2013)

Thanks

I have since added removable soft sided saddlebags and a removable windshield (mostly to hold my EZ Pass). Riding season is short here as well, but I'm not above "trailering" her to warmer climates should the urge arise.

Going to be mid 50's here Easter Sunday....... I'll be home as the ham leaves the oven.
    * This space for rent *

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camp Bassfish For This Useful Post:

Glass (27th March 2013),mick silver (15th June 2016)

Silver
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I am 71 years old. I am still riding my Harley, but not to the extent I rode It when I was younger. I used to average about 12000 miles a year. Now I only ride It a little in the summer months.
    I had a 1987 Harley-Davidson FLT Tour Glide I rode 187,000 miles. It was a very realiable bike. It broke down once about 10 miles from home. In the 187,000 miles I never had to add oil between oil changes. I changed oil every 5000 miles.

I would strongly advise you to take a begining riders motorcycles safely course before you start riding.
    Great advise on the safety course.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JFN111 For This Useful Post:

Libertarian_Guard (27th March 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JFN111 View Post
    Great advise on the safety course.
    Totally agree. No matter your skill level you will take SOMETHING home from this class.
    * This space for rent *

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camp Bassfish For This Useful Post:

Glass (27th March 2013),Libertarian_Guard (27th March 2013)

Thanks

There are also some nice "big scooters" at 250cc, 400cc and 650cc. I think they are a good option for many adults. They have automatic transmissions, good wind protection, comfortable seats, and a large locking storage area under the seat. Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki make good ones.

Attachment 4641

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half Sense For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (31st March 2013),Glass (25th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 921 Posts

thoughts....a cycle that is confined to the white lines of the highway is totally USELESS.....i mean, WHY? just get a small car! better gas mileage and you can drive it in the rain.
    Now, if we choose a dual purpose bike, then we have the best of both worlds! I always rig a kill switch to the lighting system including brake lights....for discrete get aways ; )

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDRock For This Useful Post:

Glass (27th March 2013),govcheetos (4th April 2013)

Electrum
    Thanks

I rode for over 25 years before having to convert my scoots to tractors. My rides were a 76 BMW R90S (Sport/Touring) and an 86 BMW K75. The 90 was sold with nearly 200,000 miles on it and I never really fell in love with the K and the triple engine. Too much like a rice burner. Although I had numerous long distance trips (member of the Iron Butt Club), most of my riding was with a dedicated group of buddies screaming along country twisties pushing ourselves and our machines to limits. All kept the rubber on the road, but there were certainly a few hair-raising moments. Nothing like the throb of those twin jugs...
    AT

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ArgenteumTelum For This Useful Post:

Glass (27th March 2013)