Thread: Australia doubles tax on retirement savings

Thanks

Australia doubles tax on retirement savings

Though Australia’s national balance sheet is comparatively quite strong, the government has been running at a net deficit for years… and they’re under intense pressure to balance the budget.

The good news is that Australia now has a goodly number of investor-friendly immigration programs designed to bring productive foreigners into the country, similar to the trend we’re seeing across Europe.

On the flip side, though, the Australian government has just announced new rules which penalize citizens who have responsibly set aside savings for their own retirement.

Any income over A$100,000 drawn from a superannuation fund (the equivalent of an IRA in the United States) will now be taxed at 15%. Previously, all such income was tax-free.

The really offensive part about this is that the government is going to tax people’s savings ‘on both ends,’ meaning that people are taxed on money they move INTO the retirement fund, and now they can be taxed again when they pull money out.

The Cyprus debacle drew a line in the sand– fleecing people with assets, or income, in excess of 100,000 dollars, euros, etc. is now acceptable. This is the definition of ‘rich’ in the sole discretion of governments.

And make no mistake– if it can happen in Australia, which still has reasonable debt levels despite years of deficit spending, it can happen in bankrupt, insolvent nations like the US.

As you may know, US tax code allows for several different types of retirement accounts… and there has been a lot of talk lately about a ‘Roth conversion’.

This is to say that a US taxpayer can convert his/her traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. And the implications are enormous.

A traditional IRA is not taxed on the way in, but it’s taxed on the way out. So if you contribute $3,000 annually to your IRA, you won’t pay income tax on that $3,000. But the accumulated retirement savings is taxed in the future when you withdraw the funds at retirement.

Conversely, contributions to a Roth IRA are taxed each year with the rest of your income. But the accumulated savings are NOT taxed when you withdraw the funds at retirement.

A few years ago, Congress inked a deal to allow US taxpayers to CONVERT their traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. In doing so, Americans were allowed to pay tax on the accumulated gains in their traditional IRA up through that point, then switch to a Roth.

Congress was essentially saying, “We promise that we will only tax you now in exchange for not taxing you later.”

It certainly begs the question: How much do you trust your government?

Can we really expect the country that has racked up more debt than any other in the history of the world to keep its word? Can we really expect that 5 or 10 years from now, they won’t make another grab for cash?

If the Australian government can unilaterally change the rules and start double-taxing retirement accounts, so can the US. And the trillions of dollars in retirement savings in the Land of the Free is far too irresistible for them to ignore.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-n...savings-2013-4
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months

Silver will have its day...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Re: Australia doubles tax on retirement savings

The really offensive part about this is that the government is going to tax people’s savings ‘on both ends,’ meaning that people are taxed on money they move INTO the retirement fund, and now they can be taxed again when they pull money out.

"Offensive" does not begin to describe it.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Australia doubles tax on retirement savings

Not at all is the answer.

Speaking with a relative recently who asked for advice on retirement planning and investing. Borrowed money on house to fund retirement investment fund that went 0% in all directions since 2007 to 2012.

Suggested
    #1 get out of the US retail space investment growth fund.
    #2 payback loan on house that gained 0% growth and cost $10K in interest fees (deductable).
    #3 make the bare minimum superanuation contributions (concessional tax rate of 15% instead of 30%)
    #4 start saving

Actual
    #1 sacked existing fund manager
    #2 paid out of the funds
    #3 paid of house loan
    #4 borrowed again
    #5 selected mid risk moderate growth fund for retirement investments
    #6 requested post implementation review and thumbs up from yours truly

Suggested they keep their exposure low e.g. invest the bare minimum under retirement savings laws and keep as much money as possible out of clutches of government and investment advisors.

Response was: What? You think I should stuff my money under my mattress or something?

Yes.

But someone might steal it from me.

sigh.

in 2007 my advice was: get a shot gun. 20 guage would suffice. Don't put any more money than you have to in a place where the government will steal it, because as sure as night follows day, they will steal it.

The whole of my personal organisation is set up so that I do not have to contribute to a retirement fund. I am not sure how much longer this will remain an option for people but I have never, will never put anything more than the damn minumum amount in a government mandated program.

20 years ago when they first rolled out this scheme I knew they were going to eventually steal it. They will steal more. You have to pay 15% to get it out anyway so there is no real savings. Pay 15% in and 15% out or pay 30% in or 30% out. Doesn't really matter that much IMO. It will be stolen regardless.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

zap (10th April 2013)