Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Other crypto currencies and playing the market

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Re: Other crypto currencies and playing the market

I had an conversation with a Romanian jew in the past, his opinion was that commodities should not be allowed on Wall Street.

Currency being a commodity I guess that financials could be included.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,389 Times in 2,416 Posts

Could be useful if you're playing the market:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comm...ces_feel_free/

a) green bars above the axis represent increases in buy orders
    b) red bars below the axis represent decreases in buy orders
    c) red bars above the axis represent increases in sell orders
    d) green bars below the axis represent decreases in sell orders
    Sometimes you'll see weird looking bars like this, where there's green both above and below the line at a single price point:
    http://i.imgur.com/Usrdy99.png
    That means the market price has moved up past that point. There used to be sell orders at that price (which have gone down to zero, case d) above) and now there are buy orders at that price (which have gone up from zero, case a) above).
    Other times you'll see red and green bars on top of each other, like the 2nd bar from the left here:
    http://i.imgur.com/wiMGHmV.png
    That's cases b) and d) - both buy and sell orders in the price range have reduced.

http://i.imgur.com/516v5Nz.png

Thanks
    Thanked 7,798 Times in 5,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    MtGox is back up, (I was able to log in at least) Got this in a red banner at the top.

Being in I.T. myself I know exactly what they are doing. The problem is poor planning (lack of hardware, software, people etc.) But at the same time there really isn't any ground work to follow to try and get an idea of what kind of resources you need to run a virtual currency exchange. They are for a lack of a better phrase "a victim of their own success." Hopefully their hiccups are a learning tool for others to put up more exchanges so as to have better method for price discovery and currency stability. You can't have an exchange that does 70% of BTC volume going down all the time or you're going to get these price plummets.
    I don't remember who it was, but someone here have been in contact/knows the crypto-anarchist that runs Mt. Gox, and had been told that in times like these their idea was to slow down trading by not allowing orders or slowing down the execution of them, so maybe it is not so strange it 'crashed'?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,817 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    I don't remember who it was, but someone here have been in contact/knows the crypto-anarchist that runs Mt. Gox, and had been told that in times like these their idea was to slow down trading by not allowing orders or slowing down the execution of them, so maybe it is not so strange it 'crashed'?
    If so, even more of a strong case to have more exchanges.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."