Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Warning! Very Sophisticated Silver Eagle Counterfeits out of China!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 607 Posts

Re: Warning! Very Sophisticated Silver Eagle Counterfeits out of China!

When he was referring to detecting by the "flipping", I thought he meant the sound. The fake one failed the silver "klink" test.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

no one has a monopoly on the industrial arts.

silver plating is cheap, gold-plating is relatively cheap. tungsten is cheap, though hard to machine.

i think where this is going is towards silver (and gold) counterfeit rounds that are visually indistinguishable from the real thing.

that leaves us with test methods like -

* destructive testing, i.e. cut it in half. that costs about 3% - if you're lucky.
    * sound testing, which is better if you can use quantitative methods, i.e. use a sound analyzer & not rely only on human judgment
    * that sliding magnet test device

also i don't blame coin dealers & market makers for shying away from 100 ounce bars & even 10 ounce bars.

so i guess those Circulated Silver Merc's & Roos'ies are making more & more sense, as "least likely to be counterfeited". Jeez, they're worth $2 each, even with paper silver prices knocked down.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gunDriller For This Useful Post:

horseshoe3 (9th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,844 Posts

it gets even better... and better. However, the problem is power... as long as people fail to understand the inherent issues with it (that it is an illusion), shenanigans and deceptions are here to stay.

Every time I come n here and read the OPS, I have to shake my head in disbelief...
    All the money that exists cannot buy Earth, and the evidence is that we destroy our habitat as a result, thinking that we can just seize and pillage as we see fit. If crowds endorse the pursuit of wealth at their own level, they cannot prevent multinationals from doing exactly the same. The “dystopian endless growth paradigm” is going to end with a bang but will open the door to a premise endorsing that Earth is the only wealth we truly have while journeying through life.

Zinc
    Thanks

Saw this video few weeks ago when it came out, too bad a magnet won't detect them anymore that's how I've always detected fake silver in the past

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JonasMills View Post
    Saw this video few weeks ago when it came out, too bad a magnet won't detect them anymore that's how I've always detected fake silver in the past
    In the video above he shows a neodymium magnet weakly but definitely sticking to the fake SAE, indicating that the alloy is weakly ferromagneticd, so your magnet is still worth using. Remember "Forearmed is foreskinned."
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Friday May 31, 2013 21:41 EDT (All prices and information will update automatically every minute on the home page)

Dealer Alert - Fake Silver Bars

Minnesota - Wisconsin - Michigan area

Fake 1 oz. Silver Bars in hard plastic.

25ish young white male passing these.

Possible name Jake.L Nelson

Brands: Silvertown, Sunshine, J.M, Northwest, Palasade.

After cutting into Bars they are silver plated over copper. Some are right weight. Some are 4-6 grams light.

One dealer took several hundred till he found out.

Duluth police case# 13089843

Det. Shauna Green 218-730-5623

If you come across any please contact the info above. Thanks for any possible help.

Craig Dickison
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mamboni For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (1st June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    25ish young white male passing these.

Possible name Jake.L Nelson

Brands: Silvertown, Sunshine, J.M, Northwest, Palasade.

After cutting into Bars they are silver plated over copper. Some are right weight. Some are 4-6 grams light.

One dealer took several hundred till he found out.

so who made the dies ? who is making the planchetts ? who is doing the stamping ? who is doing the plating ?

is the dealer going to buy a sheet metal shear - or something - to inspect incoming rounds ?

i bet if we started going to coin shows within a 500 mile radius, and had small tables with "we buy silver" signs, we'd meet the guy who is selling these.

you would need to buy 1 round or bar from everybody & destructively test it - without anybody seeing what you are doing. since most of them would test good, you'd end up with a big pile of silver half moons.

maybe that will become the new "In" shape. 1/2 ounce rounds cut in half.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com