Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about talking with strangers?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 607 Posts

How do you feel about talking with strangers?

What made me think of this was the video mamboni posted where random passers-by are asked to guess the price of gold. I was struck by how many people would not even break stride for a second to talk to him. It probably had nothing to do with gold.

As long as I'm not in a rush, I'm happy to talk to anyone about anything, pretty much any time. I don't mean disclose personal information, but just share opinions or comments or humor on things. I enjoy interacting with people, and hearing what they have to say. I have a friend who, when we are out somewhere, will inevitably get us involved in a conversation with a group of whomever happens to be within earshot. His knack for this is amazing.

How about you? If you are at the store or a ballgame or a bar or a movie, do you like getting engaged in conversation with strangers? Or are you uncomfortable and would rather avoid it? Or neutral? As a self-test, if a stranger opens up a conversation with you, do you usually try to keep it going, or do you tend to cut it short because you prefer to be left alone?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparky For This Useful Post:

Blink (12th June 2013),Libertarian_Guard (12th June 2013),Libertytree (12th June 2013),midnight rambler (12th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Re: How do you feel about talking with strangers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    What made me think of this was the video mamboni posted where random passers-by are asked to guess the price of gold. I was struck by how many people would not even break stride for a second to talk to him. It probably had nothing to do with gold.

As long as I'm not in a rush, I'm happy to talk to anyone about anything, pretty much any time. I don't mean disclose personal information, but just share opinions or comments or humor on things. I enjoy interacting with people, and hearing what they have to say. I have a friend who, when we are out somewhere, will inevitably get us involved in a conversation with a group of whomever happens to be within earshot. His knack for this is amazing.

How about you? If you are at the store or a ballgame or a bar or a movie, do you like getting engaged in conversation with strangers? Or are you uncomfortable and would rather avoid it? Or neutral? As a self-test, if a stranger opens up a conversation with you, do you usually try to keep it going, or do you tend to cut it short because you prefer to be left alone?
    it depends on location & who it is.

obviously location matters. if you did this near the 19th Ave. BART station in Oakland, that's very different from "Art Night" in a small town, for example.

last time i was at the 19th Ave. BART station, a black guy threatened to kill me because i talked to "one of his women", after i asked a woman for directions.

in the city, you stay alert & go where you're going. some stranger who wants to talk about whatever, you generally ignore, even if the 'whatever' is Gold.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

Well, I don't talk to cops and if they sit near me in a restaurant either I change seats or pay my bill and leave..... oh, and I don't talk to people form Mars or Jupiter, they are nasty people.

V
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Thanks
    Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,790 Posts

No one is a stranger to me even if I dont know them but people maybe a stranger too them selves

The Cabal...........“Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King’s horses and all the King’s men couldn’t put Humpty back together again”.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

I'm like you sparky, if I'm not in a hurry to get somewhere, I don't mind chatting with strangers. It doesn't happen very often but when it does I enjoy it.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Great Value Carrots Libertarian_Guard's Avatar
    Thanks

I''ve noticed that this was more common back in the 1960's & 1970's. I try to chat it up, or at least wave and say hi, but you know the story.....everyone is anxious or in a rush.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 999 Posts

I talk to strangers every day, many times over. Come to think of it, I've been talking to strangers all my life.

But I'd generally just walk past a loud aggressive petition pusher with a clipboard. I'd figure he was probably trying to push a FREE Vaccination on me or something.
    In fact, if anybody puts a hustle voice on me, I'm pretty much out of there. At that point words become blunt objects to avoid. He may as well have thrown a sack of dead rats at me.

I really do enjoy talking to strangers though... when we're on equal terms.I don't care to carry on with anyone who attempts to lay a position of contrived authority over me.
    Nope.
    "Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they found it."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post

It's L.A. and Newport Beach too boot. I would say you need to redefine what you mean by talking with strangers. Having small talk or a conversation.

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian_Guard View Post
    I''ve noticed that this was more common back in the 1960's & 1970's. I try to chat it up, or at least wave and say hi, but you know the story.....everyone is anxious or in a rush.
    IMO, in general people have become much more anti-social. Many things have led to this.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

11. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Blink (12th June 2013)

Thanks

" I have a friend who, when we are out somewhere, will inevitably get us involved in a conversation with a group of whomever happens to be within earshot. His knack for this is amazing."

I'm this guy, but the setting has to be right. Blows my brother away. I almost always have a good looking dog or two with me that attracts dog lovers like moths to a lamp. I can bring a dog into Bass Pro with the intent of grabbing something quick, and end up leaving over an hour later if I take the dog in. I live in a small town and notice I'm ducking people I know (gossipers, busy bodies, butt ins and time wasters) rather than strangers.