Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporter Who Ended Gen. McChrystal's Career Dies in Car Accident?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

Reporter Who Ended Gen. McChrystal's Career Dies in Car Accident?

Coroner has not determined if crash victim is Michael Hastings

"...The Los Angeles county coroner's office had yet to determine Tuesday night whether a body recovered from a fiery car crash was that of award-winning journalist Michael Hastings.

The body was badly charred and identified only as "John Doe 117," law enforcement authorities told The Times.
    Coroner's officials were attempting to match dental records to help make a positive identification, according to authorities.
    The death of the 33-year-old Hastings was announced by his employer, BuzzFeed, which said he died in a Los Angeles car accident..."

"...Hastings was best known for his 2010 Rolling Stone profile that led to the resignation of Gen. Stanley McChrystal. Hastings was a contributing editor to the magazine.

At the time of the article, McChrystal commanded all U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan. In the piece, he voiced open contempt for President Obama and administration policies.

After it was published, McChrystal was summoned to the White House to meet with the president. McChrystal resigned afterward..."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnQPublic For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (19th June 2013)

Thanks

Re: Reporter Who Ended Gen. McChrystal's Career Dies in Car Accident?

Journalist who brought down U.S. general is killed in Los Angeles car crash

"...police said a man who had not been identified was killed before dawn on Monday when his car slammed into a tree near Hollywood and burst into flames in what authorities say was the only fatal traffic accident reported in the city during the day. The driver was the lone occupant of the automobile, police said.

Coroner's Lieutenant Fred Corral said the body of the driver was burned beyond recognition and that further investigation was required to make a positive identification.

Authorities said they had no further information about the circumstances or cause of the accident, which left the trunk of a palm tree at the corner of Melrose and Highland Avenues gouged and charred black..."

Thanks

It is coming fast and furious, folks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 4,272 Posts

There is fighting amongst the ranks...
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Thanks

Journalist Michael Hastings Dies in Fiery Hollywood Crash

Video at link ("...sounded like a bomb went off...house shook...windows rattled...")

"...The solo-vehicle crash happened near the intersection of Highland and Melrose avenues around 4:15 a.m., according to the LAPD.
    Hastings’ Mercedes-Benz slammed into a tree and caught fire.

“I was just coming northbound on Highland and I seen a car going really fast, and all of a sudden I seen it jackknife,” said Luis Cortez, who witnessed the wreck.

“I just seen parts fly everywhere and I slammed on my brakes and stopped and tried to call 911,” Cortez added.

The engine of the vehicle was found in a yard about 100 feet away.

The driver was pronounced dead at the scene. Coroner’s officials said the body was too badly burned to make an immediate identification.

Police were investigating the possibility that speed may have been a factor in the crash..."

"...
    Cenk Uygur, host of “The Young Turks.”...
    “He was incredibly tense and very worried and was concerned that the government was looking in on his material,” he said..."

Thanks

"“I was just coming northbound on Highland and I seen a car going really fast, and all of a sudden I seen it jackknife,” said Luis Cortez, who witnessed the wreck.

Sounds contrived, "
    I was just coming northbound on Highland" sounds like a competent English speaker. "I seen a car going really fast" sounds like someone more ignorant, but not a typical "Mexican".

How often do cars jack knife then instantly explode and burst into flames sending the engine 100 ft. away? It can happen, but it sounds like it may have had some help (take out a tire or two, then set off incendiary device?). But don't worry, the LAPD is on top of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnQPublic For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (20th June 2013)

Thanks

Hastings' death in fiery car crash is just the latest in a growing list of dead investigative journos

"...And now we have Michael Hastings, dead at 33. A “fiery car crash” we are told. The car “jackknifed.” Not sure how that happens. (Oh and it just so happens that Hastings’ car crash occurred the same day a story is released saying that “cyber-terrorists and hackers” can break into your vehicles’ electronics and take over, even while you are driving).

Yeah, it was Hastings’ terrific article on the real Gen. Stanley McChrystal in Rolling Stone in 2010 called “The Runaway General” that got a lot of people’s attention. The Operators went even further, giving readers an intimate look into how the military’s upper echelon really think. Ultimately, a disgraced McChrystal opted for “early retirement” due to Hastings’ work reporting on McChrystal's activities in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

Now, while we are awaiting the official “accident report,” I should note that in my March 2012 review of The Operators last year, I noted a particularly sinister exchange between Hastings and staffers of Gen. McChrystal.
    From The Operators, Hastings writes that as they drank and sang, several McChrystal staff members make subtle threats, saying:

You’re not going to f*ck us, are you?” asks one staff member.

Hastings responds: “I’m going to write a story; some of the stuff you’ll like, some of the stuff you probably won’t like.

Another staffer then says: “We’ll hunt you down and kill you if we don’t like what you write.

Not exactly subtle, in retrospect. Perhaps they followed through with their threat?

One has to imagine that Hastings was looking over his shoulder in the wake of “The Runaway General” piece and The Operators. I saw him on a cable-news program not too many months ago and he comes across as serious and professional.

And now we hear that Hastings’ car “crossed the median, slammed into a tree and bust into flames.” Hastings was found dead at the scene, a’la whistleblower Karen Silkwood in 1974, here in Oklahoma. Will we get the truth of how Hastings’ car went out of control? Granted, a lot of investigative journalists are known to love “living on the edge.” ..."

Thanks

Michael Hastings OBVIOUSLY murdered by bomb on gas tank

"...1. There is no impact damage to this car. The only damage there is is BLOWN OUT, not smashed in.
    2. This was a Mercedes, not a Pinto, which means it did not burst into flames on its own. One (seldom quoted) eyewitness said the car "exploded". Interesting stuff.
    3. Here is where it starts to get REALLY damning - LOOK AT THE FRONT PASSENGER DOOR. The paint is PERFECT yet the car is ablaze. This means that whoever photographed this was on scene right away, with a camera ready to film this in the wee hours of the morning, and nail it before the fire scorched the paint. HMMMMMM . . . . . .
    4. Unlike what the so called single "eyewitness" report says, the car did not impact a tree. The car did not impact ANYTHING. Look at where the car stopped. See much damage there? The front only touched the tree as the car rolled to a stop
    5. The car was not speeding, as was said in the "eyewitness" report. The level of damage to that car is that of a 25 mile an hour impact AT MOST. On top of that, it does not appear to have impact damage, it is blown out and not crunched in. It sure looks like an explosion pushed that door out, and nothing crunched it in.

AND FINALLY, THE MOST DAMNING THING OF ALL -
    Here we have a car FULLY, and I mean FULLY in flames, from front to back, with NO SCORCHED PAINT because the flame is too new, which means the flame went from the back of the car to the front of the car instantaneously, at the same time it breached the floor and engulfed the passenger compartment before it had a chance to scorch anything, which means ONE THING - A BOMB ON THE GAS TANK, and a PHOTOGRAPHER READY TO SNAP THE PHOTO VERY EARLY ON. Even rapid car fires take time to progress through the car, and totally scorch the paint as they progress. Only a bomb could have blown gas through the floor to the inside of the passenger compartment and under the car all the way to the front of the engine compartment and lit the whole thing up at once. That's the only explanation for the shiny paint while it sits completely engulfed in flames. That flame did not progress through that car, it was blown through it with force and the photographer was on the scene the moment it happened and bagged a perfect shot. I'd like to know how that happened - early morning walk?..."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnQPublic For This Useful Post:

General of Darkness (19th June 2013),govcheetos (20th June 2013)

Thanks

Dude was suicided as a warning to all whistle blowers and journalist who dare to tell the truth.
    Voting is the opium of the masses.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Salty For This Useful Post:

madfranks (19th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
    Dude was suicided as a warning to all whistle blowers and journalist who dare to tell the truth.
    you guys are so cynical ! car accidents happen. i mean, come on. /sarc

i think most of the time, the person receives warnings, to back down, before the decision is made to kill them.

but sometimes, prompt action is needed. the person needs to disappear because they won't shut up, and TJPTB need them to shut up.

i wonder if this reporter got warnings first. or if they had any premonitions, perhaps to take the day off the day that they were killed.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com