Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fires in Oregon....... by me.......V

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

The fires in Oregon....... by me.......V

Woke up this morning to the smell of something burning, got up to chech in my house and in the outside... nothing...looked outside and there was smoke all over the place.....as time went by the smoke was getting worse and right now is still getting worse......seven big fire in my area with heavy smoke that wont let me see beyond a mile with wind blowind around fifteen MPH.........correction 20-25 MPH with the gust of wind.............already checked out Ponce's fire department and everything is working A OK..........100 feet of 1.5 water hose with 18 HP honda engine (lot of power) and with my two water tanks full.......2,500 and 550 black tanks. Better sleep with one ear open tonight.

V
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

Re: The fires in Oregon....... by me.......V

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
    Woke up this morning to the smell of something burning, got up to chech in my house and in the outside... nothing...looked outside and there was smoke all over the place.....as time went by the smoke was getting worse and right now is still getting worse......seven big fire in my area with heavy smoke that wont let me see beyond a mile with wind blowind around fifteen MPH.........correction 20-25 MPH with the gust of wind.............already checked out Ponce's fire department and everything is working A OK..........100 feet of 1.5 water hose with 18 HP honda engine (lot of power) and with my two water tanks full.......2,500 and 550 black tanks. Better sleep with one ear open tonight.

V
    I was just in Oregon (Mackenzie River area) for vacation. Beautiful country.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

We just had some crazy wildfires here in colorado, over 400 homes lost. I hope for your sake the fire doesn't get any closer and your air clears up. Smoke inhalation isn't good for you.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Tood my dog out for a walk with my head light.....at first I thought that it was snowing (What the hell?) but then I knew that it was ashes from the fire hahahahahhah...........I was about half a mile from the house and I saw the shinny red eyes of a small animal....well, it was my cat......first time that she has followed me outside the property.......nowdays everything is weird about this world.

V

Thanks
    Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,790 Posts

we have had that in OZ ,ash fouls up the water tank and in a shower it smells smoky.

At 3 pm one day it was pitch black and the cars had to drive with lights , often these fires are miles away but the smoke goes a long way, nicer sunsets.

we had 6 weeks of sheer terror one summer with a 100 km fire front up in the hills..............

The Cabal...........“Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King’s horses and all the King’s men couldn’t put Humpty back together again”.

Thanks

Sit tight Ponce. Only bail if you have to. I live in a ponderosa pine forest and have frequent fires and evacuations. Post another prominent sign that reads "You loot, I shoot."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to milehi For This Useful Post:

zap (28th July 2013)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

milehi?......I am lucky in that there are very few trees in my property but I am surrounded by the forest...all the grass and junk around my home and other buildings have been cut out and with my private fire department equipment I will be able to put out any fires in my property, also have fire sprinklers on my roof..........bring it one.

V

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

it's good to meet the local fire operations manager - the guy who manages the firefighters - and to 'talk shop' with them.

but nothing beats Do it Yourself.

I finally removed the tree from the edge of my swimming pool and am in the process of removing a large raspberry bush.

besides a bunch of other cleaning i had to do, i am about to fill the pool up with water.

i have filter parts but i'm thinking, just to put in enough chlorine or salt so if the mosquito's lay eggs, nothing happens.

i got a bag of water softener, maybe that will be enough.

then i got a battery, a DC-AC converter, and a few powerful pumps, and a gas powered pump. so i can do a little bit of Do it Yourself firefighting.

however, i still feel vulnerable to wildfire.

the amount of fuel that is combusted during a size-able wildfire is comparable to a nuclear explosion.

kilotons of TNT /rating, vs. thousands of tons of dry wood - per square mile.

having seen a few fires up close, i am quite scared of them.

i was a witness to the Oakland Hills fire, that killed about 70 people. started out as a little wisp of smoke in the distance, then while i was standing on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley, the fires were about 3 blocks away.

i saw that, i saw a few large fires in San Diego, and i saw the after-effects of a fire in Eastern Oregon, near Baker City. beautiful area for the people whose homes weren't burned down. one side of the road was like the moon, everything burned for tens of miles.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gunDriller For This Useful Post:

Ponce (28th July 2013)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Just came back from walking my dog, smoke is about 55% less than yesterday and now it smells more like wood rather than like rubber like it was yesterday.......time will tell.

V

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by milehi View Post
    "You loot, I shoot."
    You might as well add below that "I shovel too" because that sign gives an indication of a predisposed intent to commit violence and you surely would not like evidence to turn up.
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor