Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Kinda sad...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Re: Kinda sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Half Sense View Post
    Cast iron, bitches!

I got my wife some new pans with the latest miracle non-stick surface. These will replace the 2-year-old pans with the previous miracle non-stick surface, which has started chipping off into our food. Meanwhile, I cook my eggs on a lovely old #4 Griswold cast iron skillet that is older than me and is good for a few hundred more years of daily use. My wife has no interest in cast iron, since it doesn't come in pastels, but she does love a steak seared in cast iron.
    can't u 'season' cast iron, whereafter it's surface is easy to clean as teflon?

IIRC it involves oiling the pan, then super heating it on the stove for () time -- does something re the porousness (or not?) of the surface
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks
    Thanked 8,331 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    can't u 'season' cast iron, whereafter it's surface is easy to clean as teflon?

IIRC it involves oiling the pan, then super heating it on the stove for () time -- does something re the porousness (or not?) of the surface

I have well seasoned cast iron I bought in the ‘60s. They are better than any ‘non stick’ surface.
    The only thing declared necessary in the Constitution & Bill of Rights is the #2A Militia of the several States.
    “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a freeState”
    https://ConstitutionalMilitia.org

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I have well seasoned cast iron I bought in the ‘60s. They are better than any ‘non stick’ surface.
    wives prolly don't like the damn WEIGHT of 'em!
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    wives prolly don't like the damn WEIGHT of 'em!
    Have heard of housewives using them as weapons of aggression.

I try not to wash my cast iron. Wipe it out after using and the oils keep it seasoned.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

5. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

PatColo (9th February 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,331 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Have heard of housewives using them as weapons of aggression.

I try not to wash my cast iron. Wipe it out after using and the oils keep it seasoned.
    My ex told a story of an angry wife rolling her drunken husband in the blankets the beating him with a cast iron skillet.

My brother doesn’t wash his either. I do wash them but never scour them. I can’t see any difference in the performance between mine and my brother's.
    The only thing declared necessary in the Constitution & Bill of Rights is the #2A Militia of the several States.
    “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a freeState”
    https://ConstitutionalMilitia.org

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

PatColo (9th February 2020),woodman (9th February 2020)