Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foodsaver

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    How to make smaller bags from bigger ones. I haven't tried this yet but will give it a go soon.
    YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZfBzmJmRs

I use mine semi-regularly and often the items are much smaller than the bag leaving me with 2/3 to 3/4 wastage. I often have items I will seal after opening and using a portion, then seal and use some more later. Hops is one such thing. So I seal at the top, cut the top off to open then reuse the bag and seal again.

But it would be good to be able to make smaller bags. I found a source of bags across country so I picked up a box full. I think 1000 pieces. 10" x 14". I still have more than half. I haven't bagged much food in a while. I did have some seal failures and was not paying attention so lost some bread mix and plain flour.

They are textured on one side. I think you are supposed to use these one side up in the saver but I don't which so I figure the failures were due to that.
    Agree bags are a rip off!

The texture as you know is for air to escape.

There are rolls that you can make bags with, pricy.

I have had some success using zip lock bags with a thread to give a path for escaping air, but hit and miss. Plus the bags are thin. (not so good). Have made my own bags from sheet plastic using the sealer and threads or strips of plastic to give air a way to escape. Sorta hit and miss.

As said earlier, I love the jar sealer cap that works good and what I use the most now.

Reusing bags work as long as recycling from dry goods, never been brave to clean a bag used for meat. Had my unit at 15 years, only problems are crap blocking the pump valves that are reed type (clean) on my unit and the gasket around the sealing chamber., that I made my own.

Sent using Forum Runner
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Foodsaver

I've got a jar sealer but never used it.

I only re-use as in the unused portion of what was originally sealed in there goes back in there and re-sealed. Dry items like ground coffee or hops. Both are also in their own foil bags.

And yes, only dry. Would not do that with wet stuff.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

Dogman (13th May 2017)

Thanks
    I've got a jar sealer but never used it.

I only re-use as in the unused portion of what was originally sealed in there goes back in there and re-sealed. Dry items like ground coffee or hops. Both are also in their own foil bags.

And yes, only dry. Would not do that with wet stuff.
    You are right some packages can be resealable using a food saver. I use a thin plastic mesh from old sealer bags with them. For a air path for drawing a vacuum. Smooth plastic bags will not pump down.

Sent using Forum Runner

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Foodsaver

just to be clear, I'm not sealing the foil, just those things come in foil bags from the store. I use what I need, fold them over, in to plastic food saver tyoe bag and seal that. In case people start trying to seal the foil stuff.

The bags I have a non branded. They ended up pretty cheap but I can recall exactly what I paid. Got the invoice at another locale. I can look it up in a few days. Anyway, proves you can get "other" or no brand bags that work.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    just to be clear, I'm not sealing the foil, just those things come in foil bags from the store. I use what I need, fold them over, in to plastic food saver tyoe bag and seal that. In case people start trying to seal the foil stuff.

The bags I have a non branded. They ended up pretty cheap but I can recall exactly what I paid. Got the invoice at another locale. I can look it up in a few days. Anyway, proves you can get "other" or no brand bags that work.
    Metallised film bags can be resealable as long as there are air escape channels. At least the ones I have tried. The ones I use are three layer ones, the middle is a plastic mesh for escaping air.

Any heat seal bag can be resealable, question is is it worth the effort.

Sent using Forum Runner