Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Choices, Bad Choices for Sentinel Dogs

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,262 Posts

Re: Good Choices, Bad Choices for Sentinel Dogs

Old thread here. My last dog, Ruby, has been gone since last summer. Sad day when she went. My wife is allergic to dogs and I think it is the hair mainly. Without a good guard dog I feel exposed. I have convinced my wife that we need another dog but it must have short hair because we don't want to keep it outside all the time; I just don't feel that it is fair to a family member, which my dogs inevitably become and should be.

I have never paid for a dog in my life so it is a little shocking to see what they are being sold for. I came across an American Bull Terrier/Boxer mix, but the lady wanted $300 for it. I don't know. I guess if one knew how the dog would turn out then it might be a very small price to pay.

Anyone have any input here? I want a dog that is vigilant and brave, but mostly will just alert me when anything is amiss, prowlers about, but will have common sense and I suppose put up an excellent front to keep jerks at bay. Must have short hair. I know a lot of this will be up to how I raise the puppy. I have thought about a shelter animal but that is a bit of a gamble too.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Re: Good Choices, Bad Choices for Sentinel Dogs

I will gladly pay $300 or even $600 for the right dog that will be my loyal companion and watchdog for many years. I prefer the herding breeds myself.