Thread: Find Out How Many People Around You Receive Food Stamps

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Red face Find Out How Many People Around You Receive Food Stamps

mamboni comments: My county had very few recipients, ~5%. But, the number has TRIPLED since 2000!

How Many People Around You Receive Food Stamps?

Slate’s interactive tool for finding local SNAP data.

By Chris Kirk

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/sla...ediumsmall.jpg

Sales associate Leo De La Cruz restocks fresh fruit during the Grand Opening of the new Walmart Neighborhood Market in Panorama City, California, a working class area about 13 miles (20km) northwest of Los Angeles, on September 28, 2012.Photo by Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images

Since the turn of the millennium, participation in the food stamp program, known officially as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, has more than doubled to 15 percent of all U.S. residents in January. In some parts of the country, as few as 1 in 20 people receive food stamps. In others, the figure is more than 1 in 3. Low-income households that meet SNAP eligibility requirements receive a payment card that can only be used to buy government-approved essential foods.

Under President Obama’s watch, the value of the benefits distributed by the program each year has more than doubled as more people have fallen below the poverty line and more households have joined the program. Obama has expanded eligibility under the theory that it helps the economy, which led Newt Gingrich to dub him the “food stamp president” early in the 2012 election season. Due to the high unemployment rate, the Obama administration has also waived a 1996 job requirement—a rule that made finding a job or enrolling in job training a prerequisite for receiving SNAP benefits—for 46 states. Republican leaders are trying to reinstate the requirement to counteract the program’s escalating cost.

To find out how many people participate in the program in your area and how that number has changed since 2000, enter your ZIP code, city, or county and state in the widget below.

How many people around me receive food stamps?

Go here to find out(scroll down): http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...snap_data.html
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

Re: Find Out How Many People Around You Receive Food Stamps

Uffffffffffffffff....19, 975 or 25% of those living here in my county.....better buy more ammo.

V
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,865 Times in 7,916 Posts

My county had very few recipients, ~5%. But, the number has TRIPLED since 2000!
    A local metromess county here went from 3% in 2000 to 13%. Dallas county went from 3% to 16%. Philadelphia is 27%. Detroit is 28%. Surprisingly Gary, Ind. is 18% while Shreveport, La. is 21% (large Negro population in Shreveport).
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,271 Posts

28% in my county. $1581 Per person per year.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

Woodman? you also better buy more ammo......and a good long machete...heads will roll.

V
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

dam how long can this last
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,798 Times in 5,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Same as Detroit... Did you think it was that bad?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Aren't you in a rural area?
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,271 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    Aren't you in a rural area?
    Yes. 3 traffic lights in Lake County and all 3 are blinkers. Very depressed around here. No industry at all besides logging. A few farms and that's it. Most of the people around here collect SS income. Too stupid to work, or something. I call it an oak desert. Sandy soil and lots of woods. Nice rolling hills in some parts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

mamboni (17th October 2013)

Great Value Carrots willie pete's Avatar
    Thanks

21% county wide here, almost 700k people
    If you don't think to good, don't think too much