Thread: Wallets

Thanks

Wallets

I was looking to put my BTCs on a flash drive or a cd, and found it to be a little complex. Are there any straight forward directions to do this?
    Also, what is the best wallet strategy? Paper wallet, flash drive, cd?
    "We can guarantee cash benefits as far out and at whatever size you like, but we cannot guarantee their purchasing power." – Alan Greenspan

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Wallets

If you have Windows 7 go to start, type in Run hit enter.
    Type in %APPDATA% into the Run prompt and hit enter.

look for the Bitcoin folder and browse to it. Look for wallet.dat and copy and paste that to your USB flash drive and that should be it. Make sure you encrypt your wallet FIRST before you copy it to a flash drive though. That's under the wallet program Settings-->Encrypt Wallet make sure you remember the password.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

madfranks (18th November 2013),optionT (18th November 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    If you have Windows 7 go to start, type in Run hit enter.
    Type in %APPDATA% into the Run prompt and hit enter.

look for the Bitcoin folder and browse to it. Look for wallet.dat and copy and paste that to your USB flash drive and that should be it. Make sure you encrypt your wallet FIRST before you copy it to a flash drive though. That's under the wallet program Settings-->Encrypt Wallet make sure you remember the password.
    To do this, I have to download the bitcoin client? Can you link me to the website? I'm a noob, about 4 weeks only into it, lol.
    "We can guarantee cash benefits as far out and at whatever size you like, but we cannot guarantee their purchasing power." – Alan Greenspan

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by optionT View Post
    To do this, I have to download the bitcoin client? Can you link me to the website? I'm a noob, about 4 weeks only into it, lol.
    Maybe this site will help, there are a number of different wallets you can use.

http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Personally I've been using blockchain.info however I backed it up via a wallet backup, and a paper backup. But there are a number of options. If you have any question, feel free to ask.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Maybe this site will help, there are a number of different wallets you can use.

http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Personally I've been using blockchain.info however I backed it up via a wallet backup, and a paper backup. But there are a number of options. If you have any question, feel free to ask.

I forgot to add that I have my BTCs at coinbase.

I went ahead and downloaded the multibit client. I found where my wallet is, multibit.wallet. So, I think I'm all set, I just have to send my BTCs from coinbase to my multibit address.

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by optionT View Post
    I forgot to add that I have my BTCs at coinbase.

I went ahead and downloaded the multibit client. I found where my wallet is, multibit.wallet. So, I think I'm all set, I just have to send my BTCs from coinbase to my multibit address.
    Make sure that you back up your private keys too.

You could backup your private keys to a text file, and encrypt that text file with a strong passphrase, and then email it to yourself, if you wanted to be able to reach it anywhere that you could check your email.

Or, there is always the paper wallet option, which is nice.

Cold storage is a good idea.... that is... to create a bitcoin address and private key pair on a computer that is NOT connected to the internet (linux Live CDs are great for this purpose, because they provide a safe environment from intruder software), and then to hand copy that address/privkey onto a piece of paper [double/triple checking for accuracy... UPPERCASE and lowercase matter], which you then hide/protect. After you are done, shut down the computer, and remove the Live CD. The private key(s) generated this way exist solely on the piece of paper, and nowhere else. This is a secure, offline storage method, but paper wallets are still subject to loss, destruction, and theft.

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sirgonzo420 For This Useful Post:

optionT (19th November 2013)