Thread: Mining Bitcoins & Alt-Coins

Thanks

Mining Bitcoins & Alt-Coins

I know mining bitcoins right now doesn't pay. However, mining some off the alt coins could/is a good deal.

My question is, what is a good mining rig that is relatively inexpensive and is it worth it?
    "We can guarantee cash benefits as far out and at whatever size you like, but we cannot guarantee their purchasing power." – Alan Greenspan

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Re: Mining Bitcoins & Alt-Coins

For some reason my Internet connection in Idaho doesn't let me do it since I get 100% Stales.

Anyways jsnip4 produced a video on how to do it. Funny since he used to be a major critic of cryptocurrencies and was part of the Silver religion. He's obsessed with Litecoins now but I think he's late to the party. I'm trying to convince him to switch to Feathercoin.

This should answer all your questions:

I wouldn't mine Litecoin, but I would mine Feathercoin. I just can't mine anymore for some reason but you want to build or buy a gaming computer pretty much.

Thanks

I think there is more money to be made investing and trading then mining but mining is pretty fun and can be profitable, especially when coin prices are high like now but don't think you are the only one thinking about that. A month from now profits from mining will likely be less then now as more and more people start mining.

Right now I am running 1x HIS 7950, and one MSI R9 280x which I just bought as a replacement for my other 7950 which the fan burned out and is being repaired.

I highly recommend the MSI R9 280x, it has two giant fans and a ridiculous heat sink that looks like a radiator, cooling is a major limiting factor when mining. I haven't even had time to adjust the settings yet but stock it runs 650khash/s at only 65 C.

Right now mining WDC with just 2 GPU's I am getting the equivalent of $35-40 a day even though the price dropped since yesterday.

Hopefully I will get my other 7950 back soon so I can run all 3.
    You think that the machine is so powerful that you can't fight, when the reality is that you're the battery that powers the machine.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I have to say I didnt follow any of that video. How would I find out about this mining and what it actually is? I'm not running amds and unlikely to spend $$ to make it so although I think one of the notebooks has a switchable amd on it.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    I have to say I didn't follow any of that video. How would I find out about this mining and what it actually is? I'm not running amds and unlikely to spend $$ to make it so although I think one of the notebooks has a switchable amd on it.
    Laptops are generally not good for mining because they tend not to have much hashing power and overheat easily because of the lack of air flow. Not worth ruining a laptop to mine a few coins.

If you have a desktop you could check your hardware and then go here to check what sort of hashing power you can expect.

https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

Once you have figured out what hashrate to expect you can go to http://www.litecoinminingcalculator.com/ to see approximately how many coins you could expect per day.

As for getting a better understanding of what the mining is and how to get started you will probably have to do a lot of browsing the internet and trial and error to get set up. I know I did and I still don't feel I have fully optimized my system.

This would be a good staring point though. https://litecoin.info/Mining_tutorials
    You think that the machine is so powerful that you can't fight, when the reality is that you're the battery that powers the machine.