Thread: BREAKING: NSA Phone Spying Program Ruled Unconstitutional By Federal Judge

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

BREAKING: NSA Phone Spying Program Ruled Unconstitutional By Federal Judge

NSA Phone Spying Program Ruled Unconstitutional By Federal Judge

A federal judge ruled on Monday that the National Security Agency’s PRISM program, which collects telephone records and metadata and was revealed this summer by whistleblower Edward Snowden, could be unconstitutional.

U.S. District Court Judge Richard Leon, appointed by George W. Bush, ruled that PRISM likely violates the Fourth Amendment’s ban of unreasonable search and seizure. Leon argued that the NSA’s widespread collection of telephone calls made in or to the United States represents an “arbitrary invasion” of the lives of its own private citizens. He also said that the Justice Department has done little to demonstrate that these information-collection efforts actually prevent future terrorist acts.

“Plaintiffs have a very significant expectation of privacy in an aggregated collection of their telephone metadata covering the last five years, and the NSA’s Bulk Telephony Metadata Program significantly intrudes on that expectation,” Leon wrote in the ruling. “I have significant doubts about the efficacy of the metadata collection program as a means of conducting time-sensitive investigations in cases involving imminent threats of terrorism.”

“I cannot imagine a more ‘indiscriminate’ and ‘arbitrary invasion’ than this systematic and high-tech collection and retention of personal data on virtually every single citizen for purposes of querying it and analyzing it without judicial approval,” Leon continued.

Leon issued his ruling in response to a lawsuit levied against the NSA and President Obama by conservative activist Larry Klayman. In the ruling, Leon issued a preliminary injunction ordering the NSA to desist its metadata collection efforts, though he stayed the order and allowed the NSA to submit an appeal.

As Politico notes, this is the first significant legal ruling against the NSA’s PRISM program, which was revealed in June and has been upheld by judges on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

Linky
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

mick silver (16th December 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

Re: BREAKING: NSA Phone Spying Program Ruled Unconstitutional By Federal Judge

your telling me there a judge thats doing his job
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.