Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Kit O' Beer #2 - Canadian Blonde

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

Re: Kit O' Beer #2 - Canadian Blonde

Quote Originally Posted by JFN111 View Post
    Quick question for you guys. I'm going to bottle for the first time tomorrow. Made up a batch of English Ale and it looks like it's ready. When I move it from the carboy to the bottling container I need to add the sugar. I think I have that part down, dissolve the sugar with 1 cup boiling water and then let cool somewhat. Questions- How much is somewhat? Do you pour the sugar in and then siphon from the carboy or visa verse?
    Thanks
    Hey man, start a thread about your 1st brew with some details, please. We can all learn something and I'm curious about what tools and or kit you got.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JFN111 View Post
    My First Batch of Beer is an Extra Special Bitter. Directions call for 1 week in Fermenter, 1 week in the Carboy, when your readings hold at 1.010 then bottle and let sit for two weeks.
    I picked up the kit from Midwest Homebrewing Supply. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewi...ter-kit-1.html
    Using a cast Iron pot for the cooking.
    Borrowed the chiller from the Son In Law (to Be) now affectionately called the Baby Daddy.
    JFN, no disrespect intended but could you maybe make a new thread about this? This is Glasses' thread and besides your brewing cherry is getting popped and we want to share it with ya in its own right. Plus you can use it as a chronicle as you progress.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertytree For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (18th March 2014)

Silver
    Thanks

No problem. I'll start a new thread.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JFN111 For This Useful Post:

Libertytree (18th March 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I'm easy about posting here. I think it's cool we have more home brewers. Nice one JFN11. Looks like you went hard core from the get go. I'm keen to hear more.

Always good to have an experienced hand on deck to help everything go smoothly so thumbs up to the Future SIL.

I've nearly drunk all of the beers from this batch now. So I'm not sure I've got much more to add to this thread. Only 5 left and they won't be getting drunk for a while. Will save them for a relatives visit.

I had 2 more bottles from this batch. The first one was another flat one. Well its got enough fizz to tickle the back of the throat on the way down like the others. The second one was a gem. Nice full head. Good lacing. Same as the other "good" ones I've had. So I think that makes the count 3 or 4 good ones out of the 30. We will do better in the future. It is a sweet tasty tasty beer. You could easily hammer this one.

After I finished these two I went back to a store bought beer. Yuk. I got to get enough stocks going so I'm not buying store bought anymore. The difference is cheese to chalk....although personally I don't think there is much difference between chalk and cheese.

I want to do it again and add some citrus hops for taste and aroma. I think it would be a juicy juicy beer. That's kind of what it's like. Its the Juicy fruit of beers. It is a summer time beer.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (18th March 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I have 4 of these left. I was going to share with friends 2 + 2 but the catchup could be a while. So very very thirsty.

This one is just about spot on now. About 1 week on the chill. Nice fizz, acceptable 1 and a bit finger head. Ok lacing and best of all visible healthy carbonation. It is less sweet tasting now. Less like lolly water and more like beer. There's some character there now. I think it is turning out. Tasty. I would say a bit more persistence on the head. Otherwise I might be disappointed that is nearly gone. More patience and they could have all been like that. No mind? There is more on the way.

I've picked up the ingredients I need to do KoB #5. I am going to see if I can do 2 brews. Probably a few days apart. I picked up some seals for the 2 fermenters but they are over size. The guy also said I need some new airlock grommets. I said no. I was wrong. I'll have to go back. Will pick up another beer kit when I do. KoB# 6 will be dark with some steeped grains.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.