Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In San Francisco, It’s Illegal to Store Your Own Stuff in Your Own Garage

Thanks
    Thanked 6,457 Times in 4,275 Posts

In San Francisco, It’s Illegal to Store Your Own Stuff in Your Own Garage

In San Francisco, It’s Illegal to Store Your Own Stuff in Your Own Garage

San Francisco is plagued with thousands of scofflaws. Their crime? Storing anything that isn’t a car in their garage.
    According to Chapter 6 of the San Francisco Housing Code, “Private and public storage garages in apartment houses and hotels shall be used only for storage of automobiles.” Failing to comply with the law can lead to fines of up to $500.
    The law is particularly silly since many San Franciscans are proud cyclists. Take Kimberly Conley. She has a home in the Mission District with her husband, but no car. Because of the city’s code, she’s technically breaking the law every time she stores her bike in her garage:

It’s absolutely ridiculous, especially in San Francisco, where storage space is at a premium—you expect to be able to do with your garage whatever you need to do with it. If you’re not going to use your garage for a car, it should be your space to do as you please.

Fortunately, Supervisor Mark Farrell will soon introduce legislation to repeal the garage storage ban. As the San Francisco Chronicle reports, this supervisor will be on a mission “to clear any unnecessary laws from San Francisco's books and to tweak laws that need updating.” Farrell is also calling upon citizens to suggest reforms and to scour the city’s code, looking for outdated and harmful laws to scrap.

They’ll have their work cut out for them. San Francisco isn’t exactly a city known for protecting property rights and economic liberty. To name just a few examples:

• Back in June, the Board of Supervisors unanimously voted to make doing business much more difficult for food trucks, even though they’ve been creating new jobs. Food trucks can now face fines of up to $5,000 per day for a violation, like vending for four days at one spot or being too close to a restaurant—say, 74 feet instead of 75.

• The city’s rent control policies have weakened the incentive to build more housing units in San Francisco, which has a median rent of over $3,400 a month. Last year, only 126 housing units were added.

• San Francisco has been fighting to widen and enforce a 15 percent “transient occupancy” tax on house and apartment rentals arranged through Airbnb, the innovative company that allows homeowners to rent their space to travelers when they’re not using it. That tax has traditionally been levied on hotels. But short-term rentals are quite different from staying at a hotel. Not to mention higher taxes could weaken tourist demand. An economic impact survey found that Airbnb contributed $56 million in taxes to San Francisco.

If you or anyone you know wants San Francisco to reform its laws, you can leave a (polite) comment on the relevant section of the San Francisco Code.
    -- Nick Sibilla
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,083 Times in 2,713 Posts

Re: In San Francisco, It’s Illegal to Store Your Own Stuff in Your Own Garage

if you live in that hell hole City you deserve exactly what you get.
    Honor The Most High, Keep His Commandments and all will go well with you.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Twisted Titan For This Useful Post:

collector (9th January 2014),mick silver (9th January 2014),zap (8th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,457 Times in 4,275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Titan View Post
    if you live in that hell hole City you deserve exactly what you get.
    Cost of living in that radiated hell hole there is nothing left to move with let alone find and buy. I admit having to pack shop and relocate sucks.
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

I feel very lucky to have planned my retirement just right...... like I said before, not counting food and gas my yearly expensed is of around $4,300 that I can cut down to $3,600...........why hell, I can beg on the streets and make that much in three months.

V
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
    I feel very lucky to have planned my retirement just right...... like I said before, not counting food and gas my yearly expensed is of around $4,300 that I can cut down to $3,600...........why hell, I can beg on the streets and make that much in three months.

V
    Go gigolo and make that much in a weekend. I recall something about a hot tub maybe in one your posts
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

Yes I do have a hot tub that I use every two days in winter to take a bath.....in summer I use my 550 gallon black water tank where the top water in the tank is always hot......nothing like a naked Cuban taken a bath in his backyard ahahahhaahah.

V
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Thanks
    Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,790 Posts

Yes I do have a hot tub that I use every two days in winter to take a bath.....in summer I use my 550 gallon black water tank where the top water in the tank is always hot......nothing like a naked Cuban taken a bath in his backyard ahahahhaahah.

V
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Cabal...........“Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King’s horses and all the King’s men couldn’t put Humpty back together again”.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

V

Ahahahah

Hope you meant "gray water". My friend!

Black water tanks are where the piss and shit are stored!

Gray water is bath water/wash water!

Crazy Cuban!

Lmfao!

Edit: Figured it out!

OK!

Black colored plastic water tank, not what it sounds like! And it is solar heated ?

Most people in the know, associate black water tanks with septic tanks!

Still funny!
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,790 Posts

I was more concerned about this mental image.................hehe

a naked Cuban taken a bath in his backyard ahahahhaahah.

The Cabal...........“Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King’s horses and all the King’s men couldn’t put Humpty back together again”.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpo View Post
    I was more concerned about this mental image.................hehe

a naked Cuban taken a bath in his backyard ahahahhaahah.
    Wonder if birds flying overhead squawk and fall out of the sky?

In shock!

Or do the wild critters in the neighborhood, leave in a hurry?

Some mental pictures I try not to visualize!

Maintaining Sanity, don't you know!
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."