Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kit O' Beer #3 - Draught/Draft

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Kit O' Beer #3 - Draught/Draft

My earlier hope seems miplaced. I think this must be an Obama beer. Simply is not carbing up. About the same as KoB #2. So we have 2 x KoB's with the Safale. Low bottle carbonation. Still easily drinkable as per earlier observations.

As KoB #4 is now bottled. Time to start thinking about KoB #5. I want to do something that includes either steeping some grains or adding some hops or both.

I was looking into a couple recipes using unhopped malt extract for the base and going from there as different from using the coopers beer cans which are a hopped extract. Coopers and others sell unhopped malt extracts.

I see that Coopers sells 28Kg pails of their malt and even 300Kg. I remember going to the brew on premises place and they have these 44gal drums of extract which I didn't know what was at the time. I'm figuring it could have been coopers extract in those drums.

I was trying to work out how much beer you would get from 28Kgs. 23L from 1.7Kg extract can + ~1Kg fermentables. I'm thinking nearly 400 litres or 100 gallons. hmmmm.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    My earlier hope seems miplaced. I think this must be an Obama beer. Simply is not carbing up. About the same as KoB #2. So we have 2 x KoB's with the Safale. Low bottle carbonation. Still easily drinkable as per earlier observations.

As KoB #4 is now bottled. Time to start thinking about KoB #5. I want to do something that includes either steeping some grains or adding some hops or both.

I was looking into a couple recipes using unhopped malt extract for the base and going from there as different from using the coopers beer cans which are a hopped extract. Coopers and others sell unhopped malt extracts.

I see that Coopers sells 28Kg pails of their malt and even 300Kg. I remember going to the brew on premises place and they have these 44gal drums of extract which I didn't know what was at the time. I'm figuring it could have been coopers extract in those drums.

I was trying to work out how much beer you would get from 28Kgs. 23L from 1.7Kg extract can + ~1Kg fermentables. I'm thinking nearly 400 litres or 100 gallons. hmmmm.
    Sorry to hear about your carbonation problems, I'm gonna check on mine later today and hope it's improved.

I'd be very hesitant buying that much extract at once, unless you have a way of keeping it cool and plan on using it fairly quickly. A lot of people here in the states use Northern Brewers because they sell a lot of extract and can be relatively assured of getting the freshest extract possible and there is a major difference between old and fresh.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Unobtanium
    Thanks

From what I have seen any thing more than the usual 1.7kg cans requires ordering in. I can see why and it should mean it's fairly fresh. What is interesting was that it was available in that quantity and it reminded me of the brew on premises place I used to use. They were probably using coopers malts. So if you were going to micro brew you could buy up to 300Kgs of the stuff at a time. Worth knowing.

Its a learning curve and the beer tastes good enough. I'm picking up another 2 brew systems tomorrow (I'll post something in KoB #4 about this gear when I get my hands on it) and then I'll be able to bulk prime. We will do that next batch.

Want to do a dark beer. I want to do it in different fermenter. I'm not a dark beer person. I think I tried a Guinness once and didn't think much of it. Anyway I've seen a few different recipes for a dark ale with some extras added. Some steeped chocolate type malts. I will try a batch of that. I figured if I get it going now it will be ready for the dead of winter. I might even like it.

I find this home brew stuff puts me to sleep. Not sure why but I find myself dozing off after a couple of glasses. Out like a light. Not that I mind I'll take what ever sleep I can get.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

I reckon this is as good as any place for this. Today I was duped into going to someones house only to find out to my surprise that I had been recruited to help load a truck for their move, yeah I was miffed at 1st but the dude needed help and I was there, so what the hell...goter done. So......

In the course of it he says he has beer and later on I got one, a Yuengling(bottles). I've had it before, it's not swill and it's not top of the line either but some would say it's way better and higher quality than a Bud. That's besides the point though... I cracked it open and the carbonation caught my immediate attention! It was no more or less carbed than mine, if anything it mightv'e been a lil less. I drink all my brews from the bottle and never a glass and was comparing apples to apples in that regard.

Next thing was the taste...It tasted like a watered down, very shitty version of what I make in a plastic fucking garbage can!! LMFAO And in not even close to optimum conditions to boot!

The end result besides a sore back was that I now know that my carbonation problem isn't the problem I thought it was, though I'll still tweak it a bit. Secondly, it made me way proud of the thought and labor I put into my brewing and that I must be doing something(s) right. I wish I would have had one to give that dude.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Unobtanium
    Thanks

I caught that story in the other thread. I can see where you are coming from. I've been paying close attention myself to the amount of on going carb in these macro beers while I'm drinking them. I think it fades quickly. The lack of head on my beers bugs me but I think some of these kits are known for it. A lot of people substitute the straight dextrose for more malto-dexie what ever it is, Corn sugar and other malts. It is to improve head retention.

I cracked one of these yesterday. This one was looking good. It had a reasonable starting head. Some lacing. It still faded quickly. It had been in the fridge a couple days and I think that has some impact on the beers carbonation level when you open it.

These plastic bottles are firm when I put them in but over the course of the first 24 hours they soften up. If I leave them in a couple days they firm up again and I get better results. Nothing miraculous but better. So I need to remember to put them in and let them build up a proper chill, then see how they go.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Had another one of these. Still no head retention but the carbonation is consistent and looks good. The flavour of this beer is tangy?? Not sure how to describe it. It just has something which bugs me. Not sure if this is the flavour this beer should be. It's kind of pucker. By the end of the first glass you get used to it. 2nd glass is all good. I think it's just the style of beer. It will get drunk no probs. I might do this one again soon just to get a comparo. I really think I should be looking at a couple months conditioning on these.

Liberty Tree.