Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kit O' Beer #4 - Canadian Blonde redux

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Kit O' Beer #4 - Canadian Blonde redux

Tried the first one of these last night. It's been in the fridge since Sunday. It's going to be green.

So far it's looking good. It is a little less sweet than the 1st one I did. Thats a good thing. It is crystal clear. Looks great in the glass. No head to speak of but it is nearly as carb'd as the first one ended up. Some slow ongoing carbonation.

For me there is no difference in the flavour between them, so the yeast didn't seem to have an impact on flavour. KoB #2 used SafAle. KoB #4 used Coopers yeast. I think I can afford to let this sit for longer than the others. I had hoped to get #5 on the go but I will have to wait until next week. Probably a Wednesday brew. If I can manage it I'll try and get 2 down next week. Will have to see. Got lots going on right now.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

So, the jury is still out on the Safale vs the Coopers? And, why would this batch be able to sit longer?
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Libertytree View Post
    So, the jury is still out on the Safale vs the Coopers? And, why would this batch be able to sit longer?
    i think I will get a better result with the coopers. OR it will condition faster. A bit more time needed to tell but it seems that way. I can wait more this one because I have more other beers to drink. I got through most of the other batches before they got to 4 -5 weeks in the bottle. I'd like to see ~3 months on them.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

Libertytree (3rd April 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

another week has passed. I drank a KoB #3 yesterday and a KoB #4 today. hmmm I am going to have to get a second opinion. To me these taste the same. #3 is a Draught/Draft and #4 is the Canadian Blonde.

The only difference between them is the colour. When I bottled the Draught/Draft it had a nice malty flavour. This is undetectable now. It has a flavour I can't describe easily. It is crystal clear. Its ok carb'd but there is a bitterness I did put down to being a bit green. The blonde tastes the same. KoB #2, Canadian Blonde was a nice sweet beer, about the same carb, a bit cloudy but deliciously sweet. KoB #4 redux is not showing those traits. Its amazingly clear but not sweet. It is carbing well. To me #3 and #4 taste identical.

I will be near the LHBS tomorrow morning. I think I will swing by and set up a taste test. See if they can tell me where the beer is at. There is a month or so age difference between these batches and they are different beers, I think, but to me they taste identical. I can't find a way to describe the flavour. Its a mix of things but no thing distinct. Not complaining because I will drink just about anything, I just want to do a good job. Make the best beer I can. Fortunately I have good notes on what I did.

I need to go there anyway because the seals I bought for the 2 extra fermenters I scored are the wrong size.

Liberty Tree.

Thanks

This will be interesting, I wish I had someone to taste test different batches with. Keep me posted!
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Well I didn't go to the LHBS in the end. I worked out how the seals fit the fermenter lid.

I went to a mates place - that means a buddy's place in 'straylian and took a KoB #2 and a KoB #3. We had the #2 talked about here. I left #3 with them because it wasn't cold. They're going to try and and tell me something. maybe.

I cracked a #3 yesterday. 3 words - It was great. No head to speak of but enough carbonation. Was smooth and malty. My tatse buds must have been on strike last time because I enjoyed this one just fine. That's what the problem was. I was using my tatse buds and not my taste buds.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

I had 2 of these on Friday. 4 weeks in the bottle now. Not long in the fridge. Progressing well enough. Still a tasty drop. I think we can give this more time although I'll be drinking more of these as we go. I'm going to do this again and dry hop it with some citra or similar.

Liberty Tree.

Thanks

See if you notice a difference in a bottle that's been in the fridge for 4 days vs 2 days.

I've thought about dry hopping too, yet another experiment waiting to happen.
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertytree For This Useful Post:

Glass (20th April 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

2 more of these tonight. This is still pretty young but its tasty. This is too drinkable. I wasn't sure about this beer type but it's great. I think this will probably be the main one I'll brew for the next while. If I do this every second batch that should be a good rotation. I'll play around with it as the base and add some things. It needs more head retention so I might do some steeping of light grains for it.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

We had to go back a ways to dig this thread up. I'm might be confused but anyway. I found what I think was the last one of these and chilled it down. I say I think because I could have sworn it was the draught when I poured it. I put the # on the caps for ID and thought 4 was for Draught.

I don't have the cap anymore so I can't check what it was.

Still not much in the way of carbonation. The beer was very tasty. It had a nice darker colour to it which was why I thought draught. I did think that it was light on for malt flavours but there were some. So maybe it was a blonde.

Anyway was good.

Liberty Tree.