Thread: LocalBitcoins hacked?

Great Value Carrots Silver Rocket Bitches!'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 590 Posts

LocalBitcoins hacked?

Initial Response regarding Localbitcoins account vulnerability claims

http://localbitcoins.blogspot.com/20...V57nZJ004Z2PjR

Couple of hours Reddit user don4of4 posted warning to reddit, claiming that localbitcoins user accounts are vulnerable to some kind of exploit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comm...localbitcoins/

Similar post has been made on Localbitcoins forums.

So far we have found one systematic and recent attack against LocalBitcoins users, and right now it seems that the amount of users attacked have been under 30, and amount of bitcoins reported has been less than that. The common pattern between these cases has been that prior the transaction there have been login to the account, and the fact that none of the users affected had 2-factor authentication enabled. Most likely explanation to these attacks have been stolen user credentials through phishing or malware. So far nothing indicates that this have been a security flaw on the website itself, but we are going to continue investigating the case.

There have been also two or three isolated cases which does not necessarily fall directly to this pattern*, and those case still need more research before anything can be said from them.

We will continue investigating these cases during the weekend, and meanwhile outgoing transactions might be delayed, since we try to minimize cold storage movements until everything is sorted out. We apologize all inconvenience affected.

*) edit: There have been claims that users with 2FA have been affected. So far we have received three this kind of reports in total during last month, and some further investigation is required before we can draw too many conclusions about these cases.
    everything we learn changes that which we know to be true

Great Value Carrots 1970 silver art's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: LocalBitcoins hacked?

If true, then it is another unfortunate situation where crypto investors got hurt and probably will not recover what was stolen from them. That is why the following bears repeating and that is............................NEVER store cryptos on an exchange or an online wallet. Too much can go wrong by storing them there in my opinion.
    DISCLAIMER: My gut feeling on silver is just that................My gut feeling. I have absolutely nothing to back up any gut feeling that I might have on silver.

DISCLAIMER2: I am not really a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.

Pepperoni Pizza + Orange Juice + Netflix + Silver art bars = My life.

ATTENTION!!! I stood up to the TP king by making a 3-roll tp bet with him and guess what?............I won.