Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kit O' Beer #5 - Lager

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Kit O' Beer #5 - Lager

Well its about 13 days since I bottled this one. The carbonation has been progressing fairly well for such a short time. I checked these and KoB #6 yesterday. KoB #6 is even more carbonated at this stage. One of those is in the fridge to try tomorrow.

I used carbonation drops with KoB #5 but they were a different brand than the Coopers ones. CopperTun I think. These seemed more consistent in size. 3gms a piece. So 60 in a 23l batch, 180gms, 6Oz. They seem to work at least as good. We'll see how it progresses. They may be a better option. I think I prefer bulk priming. Definitely with odd bottle sizes.

Taste test. I like this beer. Trying to remember back to KoB #1. Taking into account this one was fairly old and the way it was stored was suspect. It has the maltiness. I think it's not as prominent. I added some fresh lemon zest to the boiled water. It is not obvious in the taste but the beer seems more summery. It's lighter. I think there is faint aftertaste after a couple of minutes almost like home made lemonade. I might add a bit more zest and see but it may not benefit from it. Is it like a cerveza? maybe.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

22 days. I haven't opened a glass bottle yet. Sampled another 2 PET bottles. The remaining PET's still seem fairly soft still. These were good and carb'd. It's a winner. It will get high rotation. The lemon lightens the whole beer up. tasty. Got a second opinion today. Much like want more. I felt a bit stingy cause I only had the one bottle. The carbonation is great for the duration. Excellent rich creamy head. Tastes like summer. Shame is so wet and cold here now.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Coincidence. Saw a tv show with that theme during the week. I tried a glass bottled one of these last night.

When I bottled this brew I ran short of bottles and had to grab a couple on the fly. I forgot to prime them. I lost track of one and didn't bother to reopen the other one. I just labelled it. I figured at some point I'd be disappointed with a flat beer.

Seems first one I tried was the one that I lost in the beer forest. Lets hope. totally flat. No real sediment. I remembered this and decided we need to try again. Tonight is ok. Obvious sediment. Nice 1 finger head although does not last. Lacing ok, carbonation ok. All good. The remaining PET bottles are still very soft.

1 and one half thumbs up.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

been a while. Had a chilled one of these in the fridge and not much else. Saving it to share with a friend. Rummaging around the cupboards I turned up maybe 8 12oz bottles of this that I didn't have before. I can crack this one. Happy days.

This is nice. Mellowed. Hint of lemon still. You kow it's there but its faint. You taste it on your lips like a warm chilli. Non of the other slight smells or taste elements remain. Nice beer. Good beer. Licking out glass kind of tasty.

It's interesting seeing how a beer changes. It ebbs and flows. I feel like this beer is back where it was at maybe week 4 in the bottle. Anyway there is still a half to drink. Old Alfie used to say that. I'll have arf.

Liberty Tree.