Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kit O' Beer #7 - Attack of the Clones - LCBA #1

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Kit O' Beer #7 - Attack of the Clones - LCBA #1

Quote Originally Posted by Libertytree View Post
    Have you figured out what your alc% was in your last batches? Maybe that's why you're getting sleepy?
    I think the ABV is between 3.5 - 4.5%. That's a bit of a range but I don't think any I've brewed could be over that amount by much if at all. I think KoB #8 could be the highest so far. We will have to see. Anyway, the upside is I sleep soundly, the down side is that I'm not drinking beer while I'm sleeping. The upside is that there is always tomorrow to do it over again.

how does it go? I only drink beer on 2 days of the year. Today and tomorrow.

Reading up on some hop profiles for the next exbeeriment. I am dry hopping KoB #8. I might do a single hop pale ale and try out something like Centennial. I will have a look and see if it is available at the LHBS. I don't recall seeing it but I was looking for something else the last time (B-SAAZ) I don't really remember what others they had in stock. It will probably be brew #10. #9 will likely be a redux of something already brewed.

I still have about 8 cases of bottles to fill. That would be about 3 batches. Plus some others that keep turning up empty so need refilling.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

2 weeks. I quick chilled a couple of stubbies. 12oz's. I thought I might let them go for a day in the fridge but decided I couldn't wait.

Great level of carb already. Not crazy but good for 2 weeks. I suspect I over primed #6 and #7. I bulked those. Doing some research a lot of people do 3 - 4 oz sugar/dex for 5 gals. I think I used about 170-175. 5 1/3 oz for 5.75gal. But then others say 1/2 to 1 cup. I think I'm at the high end but hope nothing to worry about. #6 is going to be on the shelf another couple months but I might crack one tomorrow and see. They could bomb before I get them drunk. They are in thicker glass that #7.

Back to this one. It has a nice floral passion fruit aroma in the bottle. Good carb, 1 finger head in the glass. This one is clear. The passion fruit flavour is there backed by a slight citrus flavour. Bordering on pithy taste. The bitterness is still pronounced but it is less, about the same as when I bottled it. It does not make the beer unpleasant and I think most people will think it is ok. I'd like it to be a bit less but not much. The overall hop influence is not really strong. I think it's a good level. You could ramp it a little bit on flavour and aroma but then it would be like a Fat Yak and not the LCBA.

The head on this beer is rich and creamy smooth. Mouthfeel is slightly oily or resiny. Reminds me of a London ale in that aspect. It has a nice feel to it.

Another beer that does not last long in the glass. I'll declare this one a winner. I'm going to do again with a shorter 1st addition. I'll knock 5 minutes off it and see how I like it.

How close is it to the original? I have to say I don't know. I will have to buy a bottle and do a side by side comparo. Maybe tomorrow I can do that. Regardless, it stands on it's own as a good brew.
    You could call this a light hopped cream ale. It's a bit clear but that is close.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

Libertytree (7th June 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

I had the second one of these last night. Tasty.

Today I picked up a couple craft beers. #1 was a LCBA Little Creatures Bright Ale. #2 was a Siera Leone Pale Ale. I figured the SL Pale Ale would be something to use as a bench mark because it's a USA beer and you guys could probably find it somewhere.

The big question is, did my LCBA clone turn out like the original. Yes. It did, but its just a bit stronger. Could put that down to freshness maybe. In another couple months mine might have mellowed a bit. Everything is just a small amount more pronounced. The bitterness also but not big amount. I'm pretty happy.

Compared to Sierra Leona Pale Ale. The SL PA has stronger hop flavours and less bitterness. So take 50% hop strength away and add some bitterness and you have an LCBA. Colour of SLPA is tending to red and a bit cloudy. LCBA is a nice honey amber and crystal clear.

Liberty Tree.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

Libertytree (8th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

I'm happy to hear this turned out to be a raging success! Do ya think you like the build your own brews over the kits?
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Yes I think I would like to have a crack at all grains..

I was at the LHBS yesterday picking up KoB #9. A couple of young fellas in front of me were getting all their grain for an All Grain. They obviously pre-order it for pickup. I was thinking to myself now that I have some beer in stock I feel a bit less pressure to crank out brews. Basically I've got some time that I can put together a mash tun.

A burner and a big enough LT will take some time. To be honest I've got a lot of demands on money and not enough to go around. So picking up the kit I need could take a little while.

My real interest is BIAB but I think that is a halfway step to going fully all grain. So from here, BIAB next because the kit for that will carry over to full brewing. I'm thinking while I type. The only thing BIAB doesn't have is a mash tun so it might not be a half way step. I've got a cooler to use as a mash tun. I don't have a big enough brew pot or a burner to set it on. So if I went and bought that I'd have all the kit for both styles anyway.

dribbling again. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for bargain brew gear. Kits will keep me in beer. This brew is a step up in terms of results. I'm doing this one again in 2 brews time. I've got a couple other kits I want to try out as well so I've still got a few brews lined up.

Liberty Tree.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

Libertytree (8th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

My next move would to be to all grain and rice, brewing. Growing hops is also on the table, along with cultivating yeasts...we'll see how that works out?

Sorry for the stupid question but what is BIAB?
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Sounds good. BIAB is brew in a bag.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

I've got enough beer in stock now that I've been drinking mine exclusively. Except I have bought a couple of different pale ales to see. What you can buy in store is a very mixed bag. Some beers have come a long way and freshness can be a problem. So for some you are left guessing what it could be like if it were your local beer. Fresh from the tap.

Serving temperature plays a big role in beer. As does the glass for some styles. But I have found with this one and KoB #5 that serving or drinking temp gives the beer a whole new dimension. I've served both of these beers at about 5C/41F in chilled glasses. The aroma is a chemical smell like raw alcohol. Taste is subdued flavours and bitter. As the beer warms it mellows and those smells and off flavours are gone. Serving it a bit warmer is better for smoother flavours and better mouth feel.

Still it can be improved on. Less bitterness.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

had a friend try this as well as KoB #6 lemon lager. Preferred this one because there were a few different aromas and tastes going on. Thought both were good, just this was better. I thought it was bit too bitter on finish. They did not think so. I tried another one since it has been a while. I find the bitterness has mostly faded. I think the hop flavours have faded generally. Aroma still strong. It's a bit more mellow. We'll follow it and see how much it fades.

Anyway it got a thumbs up.

Liberty Tree.