Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 stage fermentation

Silver
    Thanks

2 stage fermentation

Hey Guys,
    I'm just starting a new batch. The last two batches I've done the two stage fermentation but lately I've been reading more articles suggesting the second stage isn't necessary.
    Just curious if you guys are still using the two stage method or just keeping the beer in the primary.

Silver
    Thanks

Re: 2 stage fermentation

Side note- my daughter bought me a wort chiller for my B-Day.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

I've never done a two stage ferment and truthfully couldn't understand why it would be done. A wort chiller is the last piece of equipment I need, congrats, enjoy!
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertytree For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (15th May 2014)

Silver
    Thanks

I thought the chiller was a nice gift. I usually just get a gift card so it was fun that she put some thought in it.

Silver
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Libertytree View Post
    I've never done a two stage ferment and truthfully couldn't understand why it would be done. A wort chiller is the last piece of equipment I need, congrats, enjoy!
    I think the thought was you were getting the beer less cloudy by siphoning into a secondary container after about a week.

Thanks

Some questions......

What type of beer are you making? What size batches? Ingredients?

I'd be interested in hearing if you see a difference in not doing a secondary fermentation.
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Silver
    Thanks

The Beer is called Flat Tire Ale. It's a knockoff of Fat Tire. It's a lighter beer then I've done before. 5 Gallon Batch.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JFN111 For This Useful Post:

Libertytree (15th May 2014)

Silver
    Thanks

The usual process is to leave it in the primary bucket for about a week. Once you see less fermentation you siphon into the glass carboy. This process the beer doesn't continue to sit on top of the sediment that built up from the initial fermenting. Hence 2 stage.
    I'm still undecided if I want to leave it in the primary bucket the whole time.
    Ingredients:

Thanks

Personally, I hope you just do a single fermentation, for comparisons sake. Unless you shake the hell out of the bucket the sediment is pretty compact actually. Do you have a spigot on your bucket?
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertytree For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (15th May 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I think you are on the right track that a 2 stage ferment is used to clear up the beer. You are doing all grains so it can have value to the finished product in clarity.

As LT points out the yeast cake compacts fairly well but I think you have seen this with your other brews. So maybe once it's settled it's not going to stir up easily and get back into the beer.

I'm only doing extracts at the moment so the beer is clear. As a result I'm only doing a primary ferment. It might run 2 weeks before everything settles and I'm not dealing with as much as you might be given it's extract and not AG. So I guess the question is, does 1st and secondary ferment of maybe 1 week each work better than around 2 in primary?

Worth the experiment. When I get to do AG I will try them and compare. Part of the fun although primary ferment only one less job to do. It could also do with the style. I want to do lager's under more controlled conditions and I'm pretty sure I would rack to secondary for those if doing AG. I think sometimes people do it to re-pitch some yeast if things are going slow due to style or something.

Congrats on the wort chiller. Nice gift. And on sticking at it. You've got a few under you belt now. Starting with AG is pretty impressive. I'm keen to move onto doing a few AG brews but I'll probably use the brew in a bag method and see how it goes.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (15th May 2014)