Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 stage fermentation

Silver
    Thanks

Re: 2 stage fermentation

Thanks guys, I may just stick with the primary and see what happens. I will siphon into the bottling bucket at the end. I didn't want to start out in the bottling bucket not knowing if the sediment would interfere.
    I love the wort chiller.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

How are you powering your chiller? Pump?

I can see doing a secondary ferment when using grains, either that or investing in one of those inline strainers.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertytree For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (16th May 2014)

Silver
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Libertytree View Post
    How are you powering your chiller? Pump?

I can see doing a secondary ferment when using grains, either that or investing in one of those inline strainers.
    The best way to use the chiller is with the garden hose. Now that spring has finally arrived I can bring the wort outside and cool on the deck. I can also do the bucket to bucket aeration on the deck without worrying about a little splashing.
    This was the way I learned to make beer:
    "This is accomplished through two-stage fermentation. Primary fermentation is the first step. During this 5-7 day process, most of the fermentation takes place and by the end of this period most of the particles and solids will settle to the bottom. The second step is transferring the beer in to the secondary fermenter. (7-21 days) Separating the beer from the sediment will result in clearer beer and improve the characteristics of the beer. Beer can condition and clarify in the secondary fermenter for weeks or months depending on the style and strength of the beer. Transferring the beer in to a 5 gallon glass carboy or better bottle will reduce oxidation of the beer."
    The wife also saved all the grains from this batch and is going to try making bread.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFN111 For This Useful Post:

Glass (16th May 2014),Libertytree (16th May 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

The thing that worries me about the primary only ferment is the yeast cake. It's basically yeast that has done it's dash and I'd worry that over time it affected the flavour of the beer if you were going for a longer ferment. It could be thats the point. I don't know to be honest. Perhaps Brewtech will look in and help out. As I said before I'd like to do some quality lagers fermented at low temps. Possibly for a couple months before bottling. How would doing a primary only work for that period of time I wonder?

Brewing out on the deck sounds great. If the day is perfect weather even better. Get some music and a cold beer. Wort chiller run off into the garden. I am going try catching my run off and see how much it is, filter it maybe. Just up my filtered water storage if need be. I will go to a burner outside when moving up to BIAB. The pot I just bought is a bit too small for a 23l batch though. I could probably do a Mash ok using 2 pots. Doing those kind of volumes of wort makes a chiller fairly important. My last batch was a 14l boil. Just under 4gal and that was a challenge to cool.

I like the bread idea. I would do that. I've seen a few YT's. Some are pretty fancy recipes. I saw someone making dog biscuits as well. They added somethings including flour and crushed up egg shells. Don't know about the shells but the rest of it looked good.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (16th May 2014)

Silver
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    The thing that worries me about the primary only ferment is the yeast cake. It's basically yeast that has done it's dash and I'd worry that over time it affected the flavour of the beer if you were going for a longer ferment. It could be thats the point. I don't know to be honest. Perhaps Brewtech will look in and help out. As I said before I'd like to do some quality lagers fermented at low temps. Possibly for a couple months before bottling. How would doing a primary only work for that period of time I wonder?

Brewing out on the deck sounds great. If the day is perfect weather even better. Get some music and a cold beer. Wort chiller run off into the garden. I am going try catching my run off and see how much it is, filter it maybe. Just up my filtered water storage if need be. I will go to a burner outside when moving up to BIAB. The pot I just bought is a bit too small for a 23l batch though. I could probably do a Mash ok using 2 pots. Doing those kind of volumes of wort makes a chiller fairly important. My last batch was a 14l boil. Just under 4gal and that was a challenge to cool.

I like the bread idea. I would do that. I've seen a few YT's. Some are pretty fancy recipes. I saw someone making dog biscuits as well. They added somethings including flour and crushed up egg shells. Don't know about the shells but the rest of it looked good.
    I did pick up an outside burner. It was a little to cool and windy yesterday to try it out but next batch for sure. I started out with 4 gallons and with evaporation probably had 3 3/4 gallons left in the pot. It took about 8- 10 minutes for the chiller to bring the wort down from 200F to 80F.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFN111 For This Useful Post:

Glass (16th May 2014),Libertytree (16th May 2014)

Thanks

When I do get a chiller I'm gonna use my 1/4 horse pump and run ice water through it.

ETA...I'm somewhat forced into this to make it worthwhile in getting a chiller. The water temps are hardly what you would call cool in S FL and pumping half ass cool water through the wort seems hardly worth it as I've seen what those temps do to really cold water. And...since I have the pump I might as well use it to my advantage. I think by constantly passing the cold ice water through it and it refreshing itself on each pass it should take approx 7 gals of wort to 70 degrees or less in 20-30 mins.
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertytree For This Useful Post:

Glass (16th May 2014),JFN111 (16th May 2014)

Silver
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Libertytree View Post
    When I do get a chiller I'm gonna use my 1/4 horse pump and run ice water through it.

ETA...I'm somewhat forced into this to make it worthwhile in getting a chiller. The water temps are hardly what you would call cool in S FL and pumping half ass cool water through the wort seems hardly worth it as I've seen what those temps do to really cold water. And...since I have the pump I might as well use it to my advantage. I think by constantly passing the cold ice water through it and it refreshing itself on each pass it should take approx 7 gals of wort to 70 degrees or less in 20-30 mins.
    If you can keep the water cold you should be able to get the temp down in less then 30 minutes. 7 gallons is a lot of wort. You must be making 10 gallon batches?
    My future SIL is starting to make those size batches and keging them. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JFN111 View Post
    If you can keep the water cold you should be able to get the temp down in less then 30 minutes. 7 gallons is a lot of wort. You must be making 10 gallon batches?
    My future SIL is starting to make those size batches and keging them. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
    I'm just hoping for 30 mins and I'd be tickled if it was even 45. last batch was an all nighter. Yep, 20 gal batches actually but I'm bottling them.

I'm looking forward to using a chiller because I think my "cold haze" is a result of my beer not getting a real "cold break" after the cook. IF, what I read is correct my cold haze will be gone and the cold beers I have/take pics of etc... will be crystal clear.
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertytree For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (17th May 2014)