Thread: New home brew system is the Keurig for craft beer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

New home brew system is the Keurig for craft beer

This home brew machine uses interchangeable cartridges.Kickstarter/Synek

Beer enthusiasts rejoice. A new machine claims to deliver craft brews right in the comfort of your own home.
    Introducing Synek, a personal tap system that uses interchangeable bag-in-a-box cartridges --similar to Keurig's coffee cartridges-- to deliver stein after stein of fresh beer.

Instead of a keg or glass growler, Synek takes vacuum-sealed, one-gallon bags of beer and lets users pump in their own carbonation. The carbonation is adjustable and the system has a pressure relief valve to prevent over pressurization.
    Missouri inventor Steve Young says his cartridges are interchangeable (so you don't have to drink the whole bag) and the beer lasts up to 30 days with no lost carbonation --unlike with growlers or bottles.

Synek has already partnered with dozens of craft beer brands, including Red Hook, Five Stones and Growler Guys. Beer lovers can also fill their bags with the beer of their choice, using a special hose.
    According to his Kickstarter page, the machine is “no bigger or heavier than a toaster oven” to appeal to those who have precious little counter space. And the system is portable, so you can take it to your next barbecue. Just make sure you have an outlet handy.

Synek --which is still in its prototype phase --has almost doubled its initial funding goal of $250,000 -- raising over $425,000--with 13 more days to go in its campaign.
    The first estimated shipment of the machine is in early 2015 and it will retail for $349, with pre-orders priced at $299. Synek says it hope to keep its beer cartridges to about $1 each.
    Check out Young as he explains his system and fills up one of his beer bags.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: New home brew system is the Keurig for craft beer

Cool. I like the idea. Using the wine box bags (casks) we've had down here for 30 years or so. Which I think were invented here or maybe in NZ. I'm pretty sure you can find them all over these days.

It clearly has a better air seal than the wine bags do. They are just a small rubberised cap with a pouring slit that is broken open the first time you use it but doesn't seal air tight again.

Get the local Disti rights?
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

"It will be super cool and amazing" "See what's in your friend's Synek." "Share it on Facebook." "Your data will be sent to brewery's" "It will be more sustainable" Yeah!

Good idea, but 300 minimum for the machine. The craft brew drinkers are also just a small slice beer pie.

What are the brewers going to charge for a gallon of beer? They had a bunch of them talk about the downside of bottles. None gave any lower future prices for selling in this manner.

I see this not going any further than the George Foreman Grill.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

4. The Following User Says Thank You to osoab For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (12th July 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    "It will be super cool and amazing" "See what's in your friend's Synek." "Share it on Facebook." "Your data will be sent to brewery's" "It will be more sustainable" Yeah!

Good idea, but 300 minimum for the machine. The craft brew drinkers are also just a small slice beer pie.

What are the brewers going to charge for a gallon of beer? They had a bunch of them talk about the downside of bottles. None gave any lower future prices for selling in this manner.

I see this not going any further than the George Foreman Grill.
    I think it will attract some people. If the same number of people by this as do the George Foreman grill then everyone who has a stake is going to get pretty wealthy. Just like George forreman and the steak he has is his grill. Did you see what I did there?

I was talking about this new Tap King system we have down here. It is basically 1/2 gallon growlers that have CO2 canisters inside that pressurise the beer. The tap king system is basically a tap on a stand you hook the growlers up to. It costs about $35.00 for the tap and then it costs $38 for 2 x 1/2 gal growlers of macro domestic. Craft or micro brew costs about $50 for 2 x 1/2gal growlers. I think it's a stupid price and I would not pay $40gallon for beer in this system that would otherwise cost me about $15 per gallon in cans.

We have a lot of mricro breweries where you can take you kegs to fill up. So they brew it for you and then you take your kegs. You can also do bottles in some of the places but the trend is for kegs. The keg system would probably cost you about $500 - $600 by the time you have a chiller/fridge/freezer/keezer, 2 kegs, some gas cylinder and regulator, hoses and taps. Sure you would have 10 gals of beer on tap but a lot more space taken up.

I think this will be a winner. Its small, possibly less messy than all this home brew malarky. If you are married and live in "a display home" because of your super modern decore then finding space for a keezer and kegs and all that is going to be a challenge to marital harmony. The fact you can plug it into any beer line and fill-er up is a great idea IMO. I did ponder on how you could use the cask wine bags to do beer. I'm glad they came up with an idea to do it.

I don't see that I can walk into a pub and hook into their beer lines but these micro club breweries will do good business with these. And the macro guys will sell their Bags O' Beer at the liquor outlet.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks

I think it'll be a winner too, at least in the long run. I also think you could walk into any pub and get a bag O beer. On top of that I see the big brewers getting in on this too, it's great "green tech" and I bet you'll be able to buy these in the super markets within 3-5 years.
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

This made me lulz.

By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

Thanks

I thought you'd like this idea BT, getting away from the growlers and a way to maybe sell more beer to your customers. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    I think it will attract some people. If the same number of people by this as do the George Foreman grill then everyone who has a stake is going to get pretty wealthy. Just like George forreman and the steak he has is his grill. Did you see what I did there?
    George Foreman grill was a bad choice.

I should have said Ron Popeil's spray on hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GeF7A05zQ8&feature=kp
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

10. The Following User Says Thank You to osoab For This Useful Post:

Glass (12th July 2014)