Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysia Airlines shot down over Ukraine

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Malaysia Airlines shot down over Ukraine

Really? Malaysian airlines? It appears to be confirmed but I'm not seeing it elsewhere yet. Also claims of a fighter shot down, however that story is older so maybe the plane was first thought military, now thought civilian.

Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 Reportedly Shot Down Over Ukraine

Update: so yes, it was shot down according to flashing headlines.

• MALAYSIAN PASSENGER JET WAS SHOT DOWN AT 10 KM ALTITUDE: IFX

While we hope it is a horrific accident, and has yet to be officially confirmed by Malaysian Airlines, the timing is oddly coincidental. From Bloomberg.

• INTERFAX SAYS PLANE MAY HAVE CRASHED NEAR RUSSIA-UKRAINE BORDER
    • MALAYSIAN BOEING 777 MAY HAVE CRASHED IN UKRAINE: INTERFAX

The crash happened near Donetsk and the plane had 280 passengers on board. The question is - accident? Or was it shot down by Russia or Ukraine as a provocation.

The passenger jet was bound for Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam, Interfax reports, citing an unidentified aviation official.

Airliner began losing altitude 50 km before entering Russian air space; wreckage was found burning on Ukrainian territory

Crash happend near Donetsk, where Ukrainian govt troops are fighting rebels: IFX
    As ITAR-TASS reports,

Boeing 777 passenger airplane of Malaysian Airlines crashed on the territory of Ukraine in 60 km from the Russian border, a source in air traffic control circles told ITAR-TASS.

The source noted that the flight was supposed to enter the Russian air space at 17:20 Moscow standard time (13:20 UTC).

“However, it fell down in 60 km from the border; the plane’s emergency location beacon went off,” the source said.
    ZeroHedge story
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Re: MALAYSIA AIRLINES loses contact with flight carrying 239 en route to Beijing

Flight path. It seems to be confirmed that the plane is no longer transponding. Waiting for on the ground confirmation now.

Here Is The Real-Time Flight Path Of The Shot Down Malaysian Airlines Flight MH 17

Update: reportedly Malaysia Airlines has confirmed that plane "Kuala Lumpur -Amsterdam" went off the radar in Donetsk oblast, possibly shot down"
    First it was MH-370. Now, it appears tragedy has struck again, this time on Malaysian Airlines flight MH-17, on route from Amsteram to Kuala Lumpur, which disappeared from radar moments ago and was reportedly shot down over Ukraine. While there is nothing yet officially confirmed by the carrier, the radar tracked path of the airplane is shown below.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...path%202_0.jpg
    ZeroHedge story
    Last edited by Glass; 17th July 2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: changed image. more of flight path.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Re: MALAYSIA AIRLINES loses contact with flight carrying 239 en route to Beijing

Ok so Separatist Rebels now accused of shooting it down with using BUK missile system. Interesting to know that at this stage of the events.

I'm seeing it reported widely now.
    That didn't take long for the Ukrainian government to know exactly what happened:

*UKRAINE REBELS SHOT DOWN MALAYSIAN PLANE, GERASHCHENKO SAYS; But
    *DONETSK SEPARATISTS SAY NOT INVOLVED IN PLANE CRASH: INTERFAX
    All 280 passengers and 15 crew were killed in the crash. The Malaysian Airlines jet was shot down by the BUK Missile System according to Interfax.
    Another ZH story

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Sorry if this is spamming. Looking to see if I can find something about the journalist story as there is no link, just a claim.

Official: Malaysian plane shot down over Ukraine

Jul 17, 11:39 AM (ET)

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — An adviser to Ukraine's Interior Minister says a Malaysian passenger plane carrying 295 people has been shot down over a town in the east of the country.
    Anton Gerashenko says on his Facebook page the plane was flying at an altitude of 10,000 meters (33,000 feet) when it was hit Thursday by a missile fired from a Buk launcher.

A similar launcher was seen by Associated Press journalists near the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhne earlier Thursday

link

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Older Story says Separatists have Sam-6 missiles. You can have both can't you?
    This BBC story reported 15th is about a transport plane shot down on the 14th.
    Plane dispute In Monday's incident, Ukrainian officials said the An-26 had been hit at an altitude of 6,500m (21,325ft) and must have been targeted with "a more powerful missile" than a shoulder-carried missile, "probably fired" from Russia.

When fully loaded, the plane can fly at 7,600m.
    BBC Story

So Separatist missile claim may be confirmed but who shot plane down is not.

Seems people were trigger happy in those parts. Story also has claims Russian airforce could have done it. There was a rocket attack in retaliation and again everyone is pointing finger.

Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

New thread?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Or re-title the thread,

Whack-A-Malaysian Airline
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Unobtanium
    Thanks

BBC Now reports that 10,00metres altitude is too high for shoulder fired missle. IT would required guided missile system. Suggesting now that plane may have crashed without being shot down.

Part of longer story
    Analysis: Jonathan Beale, BBC News A defence expert has told the BBC that shooting down a plane at 10,000m (9.7 miles) would have required a long- range surface-to-air missile - possibly guided by radar.

That suggests it is unlikely it could have been downed by a portable air defence missile, or Manpad, which has a much shorter range.
    The only other possibility is for an aircraft at that height to be downed by a fighter carrying air-to-air missiles.
    The US will have access to satellite imagery that should be able to identify ultra-violet plumes if a long-range surface-to-air missile was fired.
    BBC Link

Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Jackie did it!
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Thought about it didn't see the point of a new thread. Up to Mods.

Liberty Tree.