Thread: Open-Carry Practitioner Gets Gun Stolen at Gunpoint

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Open-Carry Practitioner Gets Gun Stolen at Gunpoint

http://www.kptv.com/story/26729956/m...autostart=true

What would you do in this situation?

I personally only Conceal Carry, so...

GRESHAM, OR (KPTV) -
    A man openly carrying his new handgun was robbed on a Gresham street by a man with a gun of his own.

Police were called out to the area of 172nd and Glisan Street at 2:10 a.m. Saturday.

Investigators said the 21-year-old victim bought a handgun earlier in the day and was openly carrying it while talking to his cousin.

They said a man approached them and asked for a cigarette. Talk eventually turned to the victim's new purchase, before the robber pulled his own gun from his waistband and said, "I like your gun, give it to me," according to police.
    The victim handed over his gun and the suspect ran away.

The suspect is described as a light-skinned black man, 19 to 23 years old, 6'1" with a skinny build. He had black, wavy hair and was clean cut, except for a small patch of facial hair on his chin. The man was wearing gray sweatpants, a white T-shirt and flip-flops.

The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a black gun, possibly semi-automatic. The stolen gun is a black Walther brand, model P22. It is semi-automatic and .22LR-caliber.

Anybody who may have information on this case is asked to call the Gresham Police tip line at 503-618-2719.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shami-Amourae For This Useful Post:

crimethink (13th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Re: Open-Carry Practitioner Gets Gun Stolen at Gunpoint

Avoid the Groid.

Around Blacks, Never Relax.

That means if a Nigger approaches you "for a cigarette," you remove the retaining strap on the holster and keep your hand on the pistol.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (1st November 2014),hoarder (31st December 2017)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 7,912 Posts

Striking up a conversation by asking for a cig or spare change is a rudimentary yet very effect NLP tactic used by criminals to cause one to lower one's guard. When a stranger walks up to me and wants to initiate a contact I pick up the pace and maintain the initiative remaining as unpredictable as possible.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

6. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (1st November 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I have this experience today, parked at the back of a mall car park. Guy wanders around and approaches asking for fire, pulls out a cigarette. I look at him and say No. Nothing else. I am close to car so quick in and door shut but he was following me and asked again. I didn't have any doubt. Been there a couple times so I trust no one and considering he could walk 30 yards and find a bunch of people smoking outside the mall entrance.....
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (1st November 2014),mick silver (16th October 2014)

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

The wife just had this experience yesterday. Walking back from the store a black kid was walking down the other side of the street, and she noticed him. She looked again and he was gone, but ended up behind her. Followed her into the alley and asked her for a cigarette...which she refused. He got a little distraught, apparently, and tried to drag out the conversation. She was very close to home at this point, made sure she kept her distance, and walked away, keeping her eye on him. Apparently he noticed her physical condition, because he made a comment about it (those of you that have met her know what I'm talking about), and realized she could probably do some serious damage if provoked. That might have been the only thing that saved her. We have since had a talk about thug tactics and situational awareness. All in all I think she did the right things, except putting herself in the position to be approached in the first place. This was in the middle of the day, so these fuckers are clearly getting more desperate, as there was a local series of attacks on women around here recently, but all of them took place at night.
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrewTech For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (1st November 2014),Hitch (28th October 2014),midnight rambler (28th October 2014),StreetsOfGold (28th October 2014),zap (28th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrewTech View Post
    The wife just had this experience yesterday. Walking back from the store a black kid was walking down the other side of the street, and she noticed him. She looked again and he was gone, but ended up behind her. Followed her into the alley and asked her for a cigarette...which she refused. He got a little distraught, apparently, and tried to drag out the conversation. She was very close to home at this point, made sure she kept her distance, and walked away, keeping her eye on him. Apparently he noticed her physical condition, because he made a comment about it (those of you that have met her know what I'm talking about), and realized she could probably do some serious damage if provoked. That might have been the only thing that saved her. We have since had a talk about thug tactics and situational awareness. All in all I think she did the right things, except putting herself in the position to be approached in the first place. This was in the middle of the day, so these fuckers are clearly getting more desperate, as there was a local series of attacks on women around here recently, but all of them took place at night.
    That's scary. These thugs literally have no moral sense, they have no qualms about hurting or stealing from others.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Great Value Carrots StreetsOfGold's Avatar
    Thanks

If you're going to "open carry" it's good to ALSO be a -

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StreetsOfGold For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (1st November 2014),Shami-Amourae (28th October 2014),steyr_m (28th October 2014)

Thanks

Wow open-carry with a .22? What is he going to shoot? Squirrels?
    Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum - I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

My GPG Pub key:
    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=steyr_m&op=index&fingerprint=on

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steyr_m View Post
    Wow open-carry with a .22? What is he going to shoot? Squirrels?
    If the guy got his pistol taken from him less than 24 hours after he got it, my guess is he wasn't going to be shooting anything.

That being said, .22LR is a pretty deadly round, historically speaking.
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BrewTech For This Useful Post:

Tumbleweed (7th November 2014)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Brewtech, what about pepper spray for Mrs. Brew? A blast of that into the face, followed by a kick in the groin, would take any one out. A friend of mine's girlfriend came to the aid of an old lady being harassed by several, I think 4, young thug women. The girlfriend fought them all off with pepper spray. It really works.