Thread: Kit O' Beer #24 - Cascadian Blonde (what again?)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Kit O' Beer #24 - Cascadian Blonde (what again?)

Underway with KoB #24. This is a popular beer. The hops are light, the beer is a nice bright golden colour. The Chinookale and the Australiarillo were also both tasty and everyone enjoyed those. I have a few left from past batches.

I might up the hops a bit this time. Maybe double.

The recipe:
    1 x 1.7kg Coopers Canadian Blonde
    1.25 kg Brew booster - from the preferred LHBS
    1 pkt 11gms LHBS american ale yeast

~60 gms Cascade pellet hops - dry hopped

OG 1.042
    Volume: 23L
    Fermenter Coopers #1

Brew temp: 22C - ambient
    Pitch temp: 23C - wort
    Current temp: 25C - wort

Notes: Nothing complicated. The OG seemed to be down from the last time I did this. It was 1.052 in KoB #12. No matter as it's supposed to be a session beer. I remember that one brew I thought I got the wrong dme mix and maybe it was stronger than the first time I brewed. Will have to read through and see if it was #12.

Haven't pitched just yet. Looking for a couple degrees more.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Re: Kit O' Beer #24 - Cascadian Blonde (what again?)

racked this one this morning first thing. Its probably been ready a day or two. I think the extra time was worth it.

Racked on to 62gms/2Oz of Cascade.

Finished just under 1.010 SG.

Its dry tasting but so amazingly clear. Flavour is nice and clean. Lets see where this one goes.

The weather is warming up now. Low to mid 30's C.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

I was checking on this beer yesterday. Soaking a towel in cold water to drape over. I noticed the fermenter looking a bit pregnant. I also noticed a thin layer of foam on top. The thing was fermenting away and was getting quite a bit of pressure.

I'm using the hopping jerry can. It does not have an airlock on it. The opening is angled so it's not practical and it seems a lot of people don't bother with them. The coopers kit doesn't use one.

I put sarin wrap over the opening and screw the lid down. I usually leave it noticeably loose but tight enough. Too tight this time. Not sure how much pressure it could take but it can take some pressure. Releasing the gas, beer smells great. Not super strong smell but smells good.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

bottled this one yesterday. 62 x 12oz.

Dry, very clear. Light taste. no distinct hop smell at all. In fact the hop sock came out and there was not much smell going on.

The last beer I bottled (LCBA) is a small amount oxidized. You can just taste the funk and maybe a slight metallic. I recall I had some issues with syphoning under the surface of the beer. The flow broke the surface a few times and it's difficult to resolve. The hose seems to get some kind of float thing going on and your turning the fermenter barrel around and a round trying to get the hose to move around and slip under the surface.

I got it going ok with this beer but the hose did start flowing above the surface so I spent a couple litres trying to get it to submerge again. I think we will need a weight or maybe a longer hose to loop it around inside a couple times and use its weight to hold it under. Got to do something. Maybe 2 hoses now. One for syphon and one for bottling.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

This is a nice beer. Light flavour, Great carbonation already. A summer time winner. I would have liked stronger hop aroma's I think the hops might have been a bit stale maybe? I thought I used a fresh pack but it might have been a mix of some new and older hops. I vacuum seal them when I'm finished so don't know. Maybe its just a case of needing more and more hops to get a hit. Oh-O.

I can recommend this beer though. Very tasty.

Liberty Tree.