Thread: Ginger Beer

Thanks
    Thanked 4,633 Times in 3,208 Posts

Ginger Beer

Anyone got a Ginger Beer recipe? Malt Extract version.

I have been drinking the shit out of Crabbie's. This is one beer I think would be cost effective to brew. I have yet to do any research, but I thought it was a good idea to see if anyone else has tried Ginger Beer.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Ginger Beer

Don't have a malt extract based one yet. I caught up with a friend a short while ago and he made some. Very good. Keen to give it a go.

in the past I made my ginger beer with fresh ginger, yeast, white sugar and water. It took about 4 - 5 days to carbonate. Nearly no alcohol but there is just a small amount.

I ground some ginger, put it in the bottle with some sugar, lemon juice and added water. After those few days you need to refrigerate to slow the fermentation.

I used this recipe: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser...er_Ale_Ag0.htm

You do get stuff in your ginger beer so you need to decant or pour through a strainer.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

osoab (26th March 2015)

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrewTech View Post
    That's not much help BrewTech. I was hoping that you might have made a batch or two once upon a time. I did find a couple of threads earlier today on that board. Heck, I might be a listed member too.

If I am remembering correctly, Charlie Papazian's book might have had a recipe for Ginger Beer. I will also check my "Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible" too.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

How did you get on with your search for a ginger beer recipe osoab? Any luck?
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks

I haven't really had the time Glass. I will update the thread once things settle down a bit.
    H.L. Mencken

H. L. Mencken

8. The Following User Says Thank You to osoab For This Useful Post:

Glass (9th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    How did you get on with your search for a ginger beer recipe osoab? Any luck?
    Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    I haven't really had the time Glass. I will update the thread once things settle down a bit.
    Hope you are more speedy than Chad and his baking !

"My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."