Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Dash

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Amazon Dash

Official video from Amazon:

Mark Dice's commentary:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...tton/70747342/

Never, ever want to run out of coffee, toilet paper, razors or trash bags again? Amazon has a button for you.

The online behemoth launched Amazon Dash on Tuesday. Although that was one day before April Fools', it actually is a real product, the company says.

Dash is a small oval electronic device about the size of a pack of gum. Each one comes emblazoned with the name of a different, frequently used-up, product.

Press the button and the device uses Wi-Fi to send a message to your Amazon account, automatically ordering a new stock of whatever you're about to run out of.

The buttons mount using an adhesive strip on the back or a plastic clip.

You can set the buttons via Amazon's mobile shopping app and assign the specific products and amounts you want from each click.

That click also sends a message to your phone, giving you a 30-minute window to cancel.

However many times an inquisitive toddler or pet might click the button, only one order will be sent at a time.

"Amazon Dash is Jeff Bezos' latest 'I want it now' convenience stratagem," said Richard Doherty, director of consulting firm The Envisioneering Group.

So far there are Dash buttons for coffee, detergent, razors, toilet paper, diapers, wipes, juice, dog food, trash bags, macaroni and cheese and napkins, among other items. A full list is available on the site.

Currently the Dash buttons are being sent only to Amazon Prime members who request them, and then by invitation only.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Amazon Dash

ok so these will be hacked and trolled pretty quickly I expect. Imagine the havoc of being able to press everyones buttons and ordering tons of stuff. Will be like sending 100 pizzas to your ex.

Does it include a voice recorder? can it spy on other things I do? Can a supplier pay Amazon to hold up my order if I am using a competitors product?

So they do multiple products or do you need one per product?

I remember in Denmark they had these vending machines in the supermarket where you took your empty softdrink/soda bottles. The machine had a tube you shoved them in. It has a set of rollers and a small conveyor belt which spun the bottle so a bar code scanner could read it. Then it was sent off to be crated.

In return the machine spat out a coupon with the refund amount on it. You present that at the checkout which was then scanned and deducted from your bill. The deposit was quite high. About 10 Krone per bottle or around $2.

Seems to me a barcode machine would do just as well and only needs 1 device for all products. Of course you would have to pickup the package which might be too much for some people. Smart phones can read bar codes and you can even put apps on the phone which enables it to do stuff for you. Can't I just have a button on my phone what I press when I am needing more stuff?

Who owns these buttons? What happens if you break one?
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Is Mark Dice really that gullible? It's an April fools day joke for sure.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Is Mark Dice really that gullible? It's an April fools day joke for sure.
    No it's legit.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

so it works the way I figured. . you can bar code scan products. It also listens in, eavesdropping on you and your family.
    https://fresh.amazon.com/dash/

Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts

OR

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

I showed the video to my wife, and the thinks it's a dumb idea. She asked who would want a bunch of buttons all over the house, in your kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Think there will be an Amazon button for ammo? I wouldn't mind a 22lr button. We could mount it right next to our gun safe.

Thanks

Amazon sadly doesn't sell ammo. They do sell gun parts though so.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shami-Amourae View Post

They do sell gun parts though so.

http://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Adapt...filter+adapter

wink wink

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

Shami-Amourae (3rd April 2015)