Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Earthers Won't Go Away

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Flat Earthers Won't Go Away

I've been seeing this stupid Flat Earth conspiracy theory all over the Internet and more people seem to be buying into this bullshit. It's really good at discrediting the entire Truther movement. Most of the Flat Earthers seem to be Christians too.

I think it's a bunch of group think idiocy and there's so many holes in the argument it's not funny.

Everyone's favorite anarchist...

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Re: Flat Earthers Won't Go Away

I've heard it too, as a matter of fact, a couple weeks ago on coast to coast there was a guest who discussed this theory. I enjoy entertaining the notions of stuff that is wayyy out there.

www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2015/05/21

In the latter half, professional game tester and proprietary software trainer Mark K. Sargent discussed his breakthrough work on the Enclosed Earth Theory. He outlined clues that point to the idea that Earth is actually a "Truman Show"-type contained system stretching thousands of miles wide, and 400 miles high. His interest in this theory developed out of studying "flat earth" conspiracies, which seemed absurd at first. One source, who said he used to work for NASA, claimed that the space agency knows that Earth isn't really shaped like a globe, Sargent reported.

Sargent's Enclosed World model differs from 'flat earth' theories in that he envisions a gigantic, but specific enclosure that stretches high enough to include weather systems. The moon and sun are not what we think they are-- they're actually much smaller spheres, like huge light bulbs, that are much closer to us than the distances NASA has suggested, according to the theory. Space missions such as to the moon and Mars could be faked, he added. Sargent also shared data from Admiral Byrd's expeditions to Antarctica-- he did numerous missions there over a 30-year period, and there's possible evidence to suggest he found something that correlates with or reveals the 'Enclosed World' secret.
    Here's his website: http://enclosedworld.com/
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

that one is a pretty good listen.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

A sextant would be worthless for navigation if earth was flat. Unless the sun is really, really close

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    A sextant would be worthless for navigation if earth was flat. Unless the sun is really, really close
    Like 3000 miles? I think that is the number I have heard for sun/moon distance.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    Like 3000 miles? I think that is the number I have heard for sun/moon distance.
    Probably something like that. Another problem is to explain the polar nights and midnight sun in a flat earth environment... It couldn't be entirely flat, it has to have some curve at least... And then you have the northpole in the middle of the disc... Phew! This is becoming complicated, could it be that the North pool is actually a deep whirlpool. So when the sun is close to the antarctica rim. It is blocked by the edge. But then you'ld have the sun in zenith at Antarctica and I am not aware of any such observations. Must have been suppressed by the Nazis!

Life was much simpler under round earth theory!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neuro For This Useful Post:

Bigjon (29th February 2016)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

This one is pretty interesting. Some new material. Matthew Boylan (?) I think is a former NASA artist who used to fabricate the images used by NASA for distribution to the media, science etc regarding planets, moons etc.

Also has some George Carlin mixed in to remind us how corrupt the system is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-i1k-eRcE

Worth a watch. Earth - Blue marble is photoshopped. The videos of the earth rotating are faked because they are faster rotating than actual - sped up and the clouds Do Not Move - change shape. They flow with the planet rotation but they don't change shape, which they should.

There are other interviews of this Matthew guy out there as well. A bit of a mix in quality, audio etc
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    well that is what they suggest, that the sun is actually very close. Not sure what the distance some say it is, have heard it mentioned. Very close. Tens of Thousands of miles from memory.

I finished listening to that Skeptics show. Probably one of the better ones so far. I did go and listen to a few presentations made by the guest on that show. He is quite adamant now and not open to other peoples ideas. So a "believer" in flat earthism. And we know it can be difficult to debate with "believers".

One of his YT's was Flat Earth for Dummies. He spent quite a bit of time talking about shooting cannon balls straight up in the air and why they didn't land meters away because the earth had moved during the time the cannon ball went straight up and down again.

Was trying to workout how far the earth would have moved in that time. My only problem with that (only at this time) is that when something is moving and is then shot in some direction it will take with it some of that momentum in the direction that it was moving.

So for cannon balls they would be traveling at the speed of earth when fired and their trajectory would not be perfectly vertical from the point in space they were fired from, they would be moving at slight angle to perpendicular to that point which in theory would cause them to fall somewhere towards the direction the earth was already traveling. The point on the earth they were fired from would also move in the same direction.

I hope that makes sense. What happens if you fire against the spin of the earth? Would it go further than normal?

They also talk about things like, why winds are not 1000mph at the equator because the earth moves that fast at the equator and if planes flew with the earths rotation it should take them longer to get to their destination or not even get there if flying on the equator because its 1000mph at the equator. Of course if you flew against the rotation you should get there in no time because the earth moves below you at 1000mph.

Also the earth spins slower at the top and bottom because they are smaller circumferences than the equator. So at the north pole you would not be spinning.

so what have we got for logical debunking of that lot?

Liberty Tree.

Thanks

I guess there would be a point to the 1000 mph winds at the equator if space was filled with air, but it isn't, you just find it in a real thin layer around earth and it mostly moves with earth. Earths rotation does however create winds, most notably the jet stream. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream
    I wonder how a flat earther would be able to debunk the jet stream?

Great Value Carrots StreetsOfGold's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    He spent quite a bit of time talking about shooting cannon balls straight up in the air and why they didn't land meters away because the earth had moved during the time the cannon ball went straight up and down again.

Was trying to workout how far the earth would have moved in that time. My only problem with that (only at this time) is that when something is moving and is then shot in some direction it will take with it some of that momentum in the direction that it was moving.
    There's a YT video in which some (non flat earth) guys sent up a balloon with a camera and it was up for over 3 1/2 hours
    When it landed it was tracked and picked up, about 65 miles away.

How would you explain this if the earth is traveling at about 1,000 mph as they claim?