Page 99 of 132 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Earthers Won't Go Away

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Re: Flat Earthers Won't Go Away

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    The Space station is a fraud, a fiction, a Disneyesque production, that is obvious to all but the blind.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

The earth is flat, vandal writes on Riverside's Mount Rubidoux

By IMRAN GHORI / STAFF WRITER Published: Feb. 14, 2017 Updated: Feb. 15, 2017 5:09 p.m.

In the past few weeks, an unusual message began showing up along the northwestern side of Riverside’s Mount Rubidoux.
    In large letters, someone had carved into the grass the words, in all capitals: “GOOGLE FLAT EARTH.”
    Huh?
    Adolfo Cruz, the city’s director of parks, recreation and community services, says employees have met the man they think is responsible and know his motive.
    “The gentleman was telling the staff member that we live on a flat earth,” said Cruz, who added that the man was very passionate about that viewpoint.
    City parks workers began noticing the words – created by removing grass – about a month ago, Cruz said. Employees had just reseeded the hillside near Carlson Dog Park where the 10-by-4-foot letters were carved, he said.
    Parks workers reseeded the hill again. But the culprit began writing the words again and larger – this time 25 feet by 10 feet, Cruz said. The carvings likely took “hours and hours of work,” he said.
    “He’s done quite a bit of damage there that will cause further damage when it rains and it creates erosion,” Cruz said.
    Parks workers saw the man they believe is the culprit at least once before, Cruz said. Also, a city employee saw him again Monday coming down the hill, he said.
    The man wore an orange vest and carried a shovel and pick, he said. The employee confronted the man and shot video of the encounter on his phone.
    Because of concerns about the man’s mental state, Cruz told workers to let police handle the situation. The city gave police the video and a license plate number for the man’s car.
    Riverside police spokesman Officer Ryan Railsback said officers are investigating. The suspect could be cited for vandalism or violating a city ordinance, he said.
    Cruz said the city is calculating its costs, estimated at $400, and could seek reimbursement from the suspect.
    City workers already have worked to make the words illegible and are reseeding the area again.
    “It will grow back, but we just want him to stop,” he said.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    Your eyes are being fooled by perspective my friend.
    Tell that to your own lying eyes!

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

You need 7 points to find a position in 3D space.

Can I get God to do my tax return? The universe is....... Elementary?
    https://sagesigmaunbound.com/2017/02...es/#more-14911
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

I see this argument drift into pissing contests all over the place. I fail to see what a flat or a round Earth has to do with me and the price of potatoes!

Who gives a rat's ass what shape it is? I got bigger problems to figure out without needing to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt....whatever the cost... what shape the Earth is in.(Well, that's actually a different discussion but, you know what I mean) Be the Earth flat or be it round, I always get where I want to go, the Sun rises and sets, the weather and environment supports human life quite comfortably....I'm good!
    Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    The earth is flat. If you say it's round then shame on you because you have not done your homework. Ask any naval officer who works with tracking and targeting systems using line-of-site laser guided ordinance how such systems can routinely range sea-level targets 50 miles away, something that is impossible on a globe. Fact.

Do some reading and thinking and wake the hell up already. If you believe in the globe earth, then you are still asleep in the matrix.

I'm very disappointed the the poor level of inquiry and reasoning here. Many of you are as pigheaded and closeminded as the doctors I work with. Sadly, ignorance tends to result in shortened lifespan.
    If you're offended by any of my posts tough shit!
    "Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"
    If you're not prepared for what's coming it's already too late!
    Niggers will never be satisfied!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshua01 For This Useful Post:

monty (1st March 2017)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Several people from different locations on the "globe" are taking video/photos at the same time. The resultant images are along the lines of those in Shami's post.
    Except!!

Something potentially interesting being observed. Reading the comments is interesting. The gist is: viewing the moon from 2 different locations at the same time should result in slightly different surface areas being visible to each observer. Not just upside down vs right side up. But craters/surface area should be visible to one observer and not to another and vice versa.

This might be completely a factor of the distance both observers are from the moon and the size of it. IMO this should be testable using scale models.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shami-Amourae View Post
    http://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/62391716

Beside Niggers, is there a stupider group of people than flat earth theorists?
    Just glance looking at this image it does raise the question of how is that possible. it then takes a bit of sitting and thinking about this to see the start of a different conclusion. A lot of people are not going to think long enough about what is shown, to even consider there are other ways to look at this image.

It takes a bit of abstract and spacial thinking. Having not paid much attention to where the moon is and the path it traverses when in the northern hemisphere. Here in the southern part of Australia the moon traverses a path to the north. It is either just north or very north. It is almost directly above some times of the year or it is off to the north other times.

In the more northern parts of the northern hemisphere does the moon track more south or is it more over head in the sky.

If it was hangning out there in line with the equator, notherners would be looking down or south-ish at it and obviously we would be looking north at it. Hence the difference of appearance.... that it is being looked at from the top side down and down side up.

Man it is hard to put into words.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

North South Circumnavigation.
    I've said that there were no true north south circumnavigations of earth. Based on the paths traveled by those who claimed to circumnavigate the globe across both poles, it looked like they went up/down one side to a pole then traveled up/down the same side to the other pole. i.e. up/down west coast Americas then up/down east coast Americas. Same for the African continent. No one appears to have gone over the top of both poles in a more or less straight line.

I've also stated that I didn't believe Fiennes is a legitimate north south circumnavigator. My reasons were: distance traveled was far in excess of the circumference of the globe AND there was no map available. I'm going from memory on the map. I would need to search a bit more on this thread to confirm I didn't see a map or that no one else posted one. It's possible someone has and I don't recall. Please feel free to clear that up for me if you can.

I found this one when getting side tracked trying to find the North Pole on google earth. (Hint for Google: It should be at the top somewhere.)

I can't embed the image: So here's a link

It purports to be based on the "official" expedition map, which is unavailable at this time and that Fiennes circumnavigated across both poles. However I'm still confused by the Distances traveled. They are on the first page I linked. I can't replicate them here because its a table that gets messed up. What I don't understand are the 2 x 12,430 mile legs that appear to be included as part of the journey. They only have co-ordinates of:
    90:00N 0:00E 90:00S 0:00E 180 degrees (S) 183 degrees (S) 12,430 mi
    90:00N 180:00E 90:00S 180:00E 180 degrees (S) 183 degrees (S) 12,430 mi

I don't know what that means. The miles are included in the Total miles traveled. It's almost as if, they started at the North Pole and traveled to the South Pole down one side of the earth. Then Jumped on a plane, flew back to the North Pole and journeyed down another side back to the South Pole. But the map doesn't demonstrate that kind of journey, only the 11 legs that make up some 31,400 miles.

If someone could take a look and maybe offer an idea what it implies that would be appreciated.

Liberty Tree.

Thanks

I think the above was the image you were looking for.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

10. The Following User Says Thank You to osoab For This Useful Post:

Glass (7th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,159 Posts

Out here in farm land we try to put down straight lines on a curved surface and we can only go so far and we have to change direction or leave a chunk out.

If the world were flat we would not need surveyors and maps and roads and farm plats would be so easy to lay out.

Minnesota is curved both north and south and east and west.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjon View Post
    Out here in farm land we try to put down straight lines on a curved surface and we can only go so far and we have to change direction or leave a chunk out.

If the world were flat we would not need surveyors and maps and roads and farm plats would be so easy to lay out.

Minnesota is curved both north and south and east and west.
    Radial lines would cause that on a FE map too. North is dead center. Just like spokes from a bicycle.
    H.L. Mencken

H. L. Mencken