Thread: Kit 'O Beer #29 - IPA Cascade ~8 minute boil

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Kit 'O Beer #29 - IPA Cascade ~8 minute boil

Been a while. Not many brews getting done here. Been drinking a bit of Sierra Nevada and some others. Some good craft brews atm.

This is almost a repeat of #27. An 8 minute boil of Cascade. No Amarillo this time.

1.25kgs of Brew booster, some kind of dextrose and light malt mix. Half mixed with 3.0 litres of boiling water. The rest in the vessel. 1.5oz of Cascade hops boiled for about 8 minutes.

The recipe:
    1.5oz Cascade pellet hops
    1 x 1.7kg Coopers IPA
    1.25 kg Brewbooster - from the preferred LHBS
    2 x 7gms Coopers premier yeast - 1 hr rehydrate.

Dry Hop
    2 - 3oz Cascade pellet hops

Changes:
    None

OG 1.041
    Volume: 23L
    Fermenter: Coopers

Brew temp: 19C - ambient
    Pitch temp: 22C
    Current temp: 22C

Notes:
    OG is higher than #27. The extra 250gms makes the difference, although still think its slightly low for the mix. Maybe the brewbooster recipe has changed.

After listening to a John Palmer interview, he suggested that rehydrating dried yeast is better than making a starter with it. Happy to give it a go and see what happens.

John (or Jon?) Palmer said that the dried yeast usually has it's own nutrients stored so it can get a good kick start. Loading it up in a small wort before pitching could just be making those chemicals that lead to the off flavours.

Liquid yeast on the other hand has been hydrated the whole time and will have consumed the bulk of it's nutrients while on the shelf. These should be used for a starter to get them back up to full strength.

I think the flavour of #27 was very clean in comparison to previous beers - that was a 24 hour starter. I was much happier with that one. Maybe there was just a slight hint of something, but you need to look for it. I think the style does a lot for going over the top of those off flavors.

Not sure why one would cause creation of a lot of chemicals leading to off flavours and the other would not. When I did the 24hr starter I decanted most of the liquid which I assumed would dump most of the chemical compounds and leave a mostly clean yeast colony.

I have a 3oz pkt of Cascade hops for dry hopping. I think I will use all of it and see how it turns out.

I have another 2 kits sitting on the shelf to do. I don't know if I will be able to get another one done right after this one but will try.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (19th July 2015)

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Re: Kit 'O Beer #29 - IPA Cascade ~8 minute boil

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    Been a while. Not many brews getting done here. Been drinking a bit of Sierra Nevada and some others. Some good craft brews atm.

This is almost a repeat of #27. An 8 minute boil of Cascade. No Amarillo this time.

1.25kgs of Brew booster, some kind of dextrose and light malt mix. Half mixed with 3.0 litres of boiling water. The rest in the vessel. 1.5oz of Cascade hops boiled for about 8 minutes.

The recipe:
    1.5oz Cascade pellet hops
    1 x 1.7kg Coopers IPA
    1.25 kg Brewbooster - from the preferred LHBS
    2 x 7gms Coopers premier yeast - 1 hr rehydrate.

Dry Hop
    2 - 3oz Cascade pellet hops

Changes:
    None

OG 1.041
    Volume: 23L
    Fermenter: Coopers

Brew temp: 19C - ambient
    Pitch temp: 22C
    Current temp: 22C

Notes:
    OG is higher than #27. The extra 250gms makes the difference, although still think its slightly low for the mix. Maybe the brewbooster recipe has changed.

After listening to a John Palmer interview, he suggested that rehydrating dried yeast is better than making a starter with it. Happy to give it a go and see what happens.

John (or Jon?) Palmer said that the dried yeast usually has it's own nutrients stored so it can get a good kick start. Loading it up in a small wort before pitching could just be making those chemicals that lead to the off flavours.

Liquid yeast on the other hand has been hydrated the whole time and will have consumed the bulk of it's nutrients while on the shelf. These should be used for a starter to get them back up to full strength.

I think the flavour of #27 was very clean in comparison to previous beers - that was a 24 hour starter. I was much happier with that one. Maybe there was just a slight hint of something, but you need to look for it. I think the style does a lot for going over the top of those off flavors.

Not sure why one would cause creation of a lot of chemicals leading to off flavours and the other would not. When I did the 24hr starter I decanted most of the liquid which I assumed would dump most of the chemical compounds and leave a mostly clean yeast colony.

I have a 3oz pkt of Cascade hops for dry hopping. I think I will use all of it and see how it turns out.

I have another 2 kits sitting on the shelf to do. I don't know if I will be able to get another one done right after this one but will try.
    These are the questions (and answers) I wanted from you as a homebrewer... carry on !
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BrewTech For This Useful Post:

Glass (19th July 2015)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

I racked this this one to secondary last sunday. Dry hopped with 100gms/3+oz cascade.

Got a lot going on, so it didn't get done as soon as it should have. Looks clean but it had that banana taxte to the sample I tried. Its been on heat and no I dont mean its a bitch of a beer.

We will bottle it next weekend.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Bottled this one yesterday, Sunday. About a 3 week dry hop. Long time but stuff gets in the way.

17 x 1 pint bottles - about 580mls ~ 20oz
    31 x 330ml/cl bottles ~ 11oz

Slowed this one down a lot. Given the spoilage of the last batch, which I think mostly came from the handling stages. Perhaps got a bit of air in the mix when siphoning.

So we racked this one into the bottling fermenter very slowly. I had the spigot on maybe 1/2 as fast as usual. Just wanted a nice slow transfer, no turbulence to the beer.

Kept about the same pace for bottling. Been dreading bottling, which is why id didn't get done the previous weekend. Having about half into bigger bottles made the job easier and still got it done in reasonable time. I guess 25% less bottle washing and filling and capping add up.

The flavour and aroma of this beer is excellent. The aroma is not as strong as I think it has been in other beers but is still noticeable and pleasant. Likewise the flavour of the cascade is there in the taste. This been is very clear to look at. The taste is nice and clean. No hints of any off tastes. This one is less bitter than the last IPA I did, which I did a 10 minute boil for. This one was 8 minute boil and dry hoppage

I used much more hops than I normally would. I think 100gms is about the starting point now for dry hoppage. This beer looks hopeful.
    Last edited by Glass; 31st August 2015 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added in the boil

Liberty Tree.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (31st August 2015)