Thread: antique Meat !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

antique Meat !

GunDriller

For some reason I thought of you..

One of my freezers that lives in my carport had a seal fail years ago, bought it 2-3 or more hand almost 10 years ago. That I used for meat and a way to keep my bulk rice weevil free.

(Believe me unless vac packed) weevils are a part of life ! And this stuff was in 20lb bags and to vac seal and for some reason I never have played with other storage ways.

Now as I said I knew the seal was gone, 3 or so years ago back in the past and more and more ice was building up in it.

The world turns !

And turns !

Other than the rice I forgot what else I had in it, I knew I had some meat, but have forgotten what the meat was and even how much, mostly by the time I noticed the seal gone and then the ice, it seems the ice was hiding the meat.

The world turns many more times.....!

And that freezer is in sight but totally out of mind !

About a 2 weeks ago, I ran out of all the rice that I had stashed back and knew I had at least 80 lbs in that freezer which by this time has not been opened in close to 3 years or more!

Note: The temp was turned down as low as the thermostat would let me do it , I do that with all freezers, figuring that the colder the better..

Anywhoo!

The dam door would not open, it would not bulge !

It took me 4 days to defrost (pulled the plug) it to the point that I could get the dam door open ! (The ice had frozen and entrapped the door shelf and brackets.

(Think of a freezer that is a totally solid block of ice inside) Grin !

And when I did I saw this humongous block of ice ! It took me a couple of days to defrost that ice down to the point I could see what I had in it.

And then recover the contents, Note: I did replug it in once I could reach the thermostat and turn it up some and then ran it at night, but turning of during the day, hence the the time it took.

I found !

10 whole chickens.

abt 20 lbs of pork chops.

abt 20 lbs of assorted steaks and roasts.

abt 20 lbs of hamburger !

Well !

Being the naturally frugal person I am, I took a good look at all of it !

And did find some freezer burn, in some of the meat, but best guess less than 2% or so..

Seeing and using the standard abt refreezing is if most of the meat still has ice crystals and such it is good to refreeze.

So I did, and have been chomping my way through it as required ! (Gundriller this where you can to mind)

My best guess due to CRS (ask me the definition) I bought this meat from my local meat packer (yes meat packer that uses freezer paper, not plastic!)

Was 7 years ago give or take one year.

So far I am not dead or sick yet, and the taste is not bad, tho I do admit that any fat on the meat that looked funny, I have taken care to trim off, plus what minor freezer burn that I have found, which is not much....

This is just a true tale of discovered antique meat and a frugal bastard that does not want to waste a dam thing !

The freezer has major rust on the outside, but that can be fixed, question is finding another seal or is it worth saving! It has ran contentiously in my carport for close to 10 years or so !

The mechanic's are perfect, when I bought it I tested its low and it was well into the sub zero , dam CRS strikes again but I think, abt -20° F.

GunDriller, you find anymore road kill I have a working freezer !

Lmao !

Peace !
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (2nd September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 999 Posts

Re: antique Meat !

I was half expecting a Woolly Mammoth or at least a BigFoot carcass.
    "Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they found it."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I was half expecting a Woolly Mammoth or at least a BigFoot carcass.
    Going by the guidelines of how long frozen meat should be kept!

The meat in my freezer is only missing the time line you are referring to by several thousand of years, but still way over any current recommendations as far as time lines go..

Hell I have some canned stuff that I know is at least 30 years old, but going by the vacuum seal the cans that I still have are still good. That I have settled down to open at least one a year now to check, and if the contents seem good, I will eat...Still here !

Lmao...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

How long can meat last in a solid block of ice? It's gotta be decades.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    How long can meat last in a solid block of ice? It's gotta be decades.
    Franks I really do not have a clue, I just know that that pile of meat other than a small tad of freezer burn, if still edible.

And seeing i like all my food highly spiced, I really can not tell the diff, from fresh and this stuff.

Go figure ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Cool Re: antique Meat !

Does a dead cow for $50 count as Road-Kill ?

When I bought that cow, it was the last week in February 2012. It was unloaded (with a come-along onto a tarp in my driveway) on a Friday. I spent 1/2 of Friday and all of Saturday cutting pieces of meat off of it and filling up 5 gallon buckets with 1000's of pieces of bloody mostly clean meat. Main goal - to not cut myself doing it.

It was below freezing that one night that the carcass was outside. I told myself that would be enough refrigeration.

Then I bought several bags of Great Value ice, to keep the meat colder on Saturday night and Sunday.

I ended up with a stack of meat in bags in the freezer. Measured about 18 inches by 14 inches by 54 inches high.

The cow started out at about 1500 pounds. When I removed 250 pounds of meat, I was left with 1250 pounds of carcass. I made the mistake of letting myself be distracted by gardening chores for about 3 weeks.

Not sure you want to hear the rest

PS

Chickens LOVE Maggots.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Thanks

Kissing cousin..

Great value Ice? ? ?

Did that make your cow bits and pieces.

A Great value......?

Hoot!

The chickens do love maggots..

Truly hope you and yours were upwind all the time after !

Lmfao !

Peace !

Thanks

Update:

Most of the meat and rice went back into that freezer, with a firm commitment from me to check that dam thing more often! And use the meat as needed soonest, the rice can stay there also as needed !

Soon I think just for a grin will be time to make another trip to my meat packer and buy one of their bulk packages !

And this time around not let the "Out of sight out of mind" even when the dam thing is in plane sight is right in front of me.

I think I have found where the seal failed and made a minor repair that may have fixed it, time will tell !

Moral of story, check your stuff more than once in every few years..

LMBO !