Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow cooker recipes

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Slow cooker recipes

I've been enjoying using the slow cooker lately. It's great to throw a meal in early in the day, and enjoy the smells of a meal cooking through out the day while getting work done at home.

I think I've perfected (to my tastes) chili, and pork baby back ribs, falling off the bone good.

Tomorrow I'm going to cook bigos in the slow cooker. My first time trying to cook this meal. Bigos is Polish "hunters stew". I lived off of it traveling Poland, home cooked, at milk bar cafeterias, and inexpensive restaurants. The recipe is said to be 700 years old, and some call bigos Poland's national meal. There's all sorts of stuff in the stew, kielbasa of course, bacon, pork, cabbage, sauerkraut, onions, tomatoes...

Any favorite slow cooker meals you like? Recipes?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

milehi (10th September 2015)

Thanks

Re: Slow cooker recipes

Yesterday morning, I made a new one. I made my own red enchilada sauce (secret ingredient is a splash of Mexican Coke. Not to be confused with the white powder) and tossed in several chicken breast. The plan was for enchiladas, but they turned into chicken enchilada, home made smashed black bean n' homegrown salsa burritos stuffed with crumbled baked potato

I'm having the same tonight. Soup of the day is beer.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to milehi For This Useful Post:

Dogman (10th September 2015),Glass (10th September 2015),Hitch (10th September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Slow cookers are great! Best toss things in and then forgot way of cooking that is hard to beat! That also can make some cuts of meat tender!

I do a bunch of one pot meals using mine!

Hitch get a chicken pre chunked/cutup or do it yourself! Add your favorite spices. Take a can (size depending) of mushroom soup add it. Throw in a couple of cups of dried rice (depending on size of cooker) and add a tad or cup more of water than the rice calls for!

Then forget for at least 8 hours or so!

The rice will absorb the excess water and you may need to add more depending on preference!

Have a stew with veg's that is dead easy, plus a chili that I may post abt later!

Sent from my Nexus 7
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

chud (9th October 2015),Hitch (10th September 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by milehi View Post
    Yesterday morning, I made a new one. I made my own red enchilada sauce (secret ingredient is a splash of Mexican Coke. Not to be confused with the white powder) and tossed in several chicken breast. The plan was for enchiladas, but they turned into chicken enchilada, home made smashed black bean n' homegrown salsa burritos stuffed with crumbled baked potato

I'm having the same tonight. Soup of the day is beer.
    Beer sandwich or soup?

Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

Iridium
    Thanks

Dogman, I'm going to try that chicken and rice one, sounds delicious.

My chili recipe is pretty easy. In the frozen food section, near the frozen meat usually, you can sometimes find a white plastic tub labelled 'chili'. It has a read band on the tub. Dump that in the slow cooker. Brown 1 pound of ground beef, add it. Then cut up some tomatoes and onions to your taste, and add a couple of cans of your favorite beans. I add black and pinto beans. Slow cook for a few hours and damn that's good chili. It makes a lot of chili. I ate chili for 2 days straight, that's all I ate.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

My chili recipe is pretty easy. In the frozen food section, near the frozen meat usually, you can sometimes find a white plastic tub labelled 'chili'. It has a read band on the tub. Dump that in the slow cooker. Brown 1 pound of ground beef, add it. Then cut up some tomatoes and onions to your taste, and add a couple of can's of your favorite beans. I add black and pinto beans. Slow cook for a few hours and damn that's good chili.
    Size the chicken amount along with the rice to your cooker depending on your preference of meat vs rice ratio's!

I have a huge cooker that it can handle a complete bird, tho my favorites are thigh's and legs for the most meat!

Hell I normally do not brown my meat, just toss it in and be done with it!

One less pan to clean!

Grin!

Hitch just read all of your post!

Boy!

You sure need to be heducated . Abt making chili!

Tho the packaged stuff could be described as dieing of thirst in the desert and only having piss to drink that keeps you alive!

It will do in a pinch!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Size the chicken amount along with the rice to your cooker depending on your preference of meat vs rice ratio's!

I have a huge cooker that it can handle a complete bird, tho my favorites are thigh's and legs for the most meat!

Sent from my Nexus 7
    You could probably even throw in some broccoli with that recipe, to cook with the rice.

Thanks

You could probably even throw in some broccoli with that recipe, to cook with the rice.
    You are only limited by your imagination!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Thanks

My chili recipe is pretty easy. In the frozen food section, near the frozen meat usually, you can sometimes find a white plastic tub labelled 'chili'. It has a read band on the tub. Dump that in the slow cooker. Brown 1 pound of ground beef, add it. Then cut up some tomatoes and onions to your taste, and add a couple of cans of your favorite beans. I add black and pinto beans. Slow cook for a few hours and damn that's good chili. It makes a lot of chili. I ate chili for 2 days straight, that's all I ate.
    You can do better. Go to this website and check out the recipes. Find one you like and tailor it to your taste, and make it yours. I found one and tweaked it to my own, and then added orange blossom honey to it to play off the heat.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/R...ipes.asp?Cat=1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milehi For This Useful Post:

Glass (10th September 2015),Hitch (10th September 2015)

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milehi View Post
    You can do better. Go to this website and check out the recipes. Find one you like and tailor to your taste, and make it yours.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/R...ipes.asp?Cat=1
    Thanks. Yeah, I probably could do better. Maybe what I've been doing is lazy man's chili. It's actually really good though, surprisingly, for how simple of a recipe.

I will man up. Work on making a real chili.