Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woks

Thanks

Re: Woks

I'm using "Lucky" brand fish sauce from Thailand, sourced from an Asian Market. I'd been using "Kimlan" dark soy sauce but lately I've been using Bragg Liquid Aminos soy sauce substitute. I have everything to make Thai Basil with chicken tonight, so that's what I'm making.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milehi View Post
    I'm using "Lucky" brand fish sauce from Thailand, sourced from an Asian Market. I'd been using "Kimlan" dark soy sauce but lately I've been using Bragg Liquid Aminos soy sauce substitute. I have everything to make Thai Basil with chicken tonight, so that's what I'm making.
    Dam my memory!

But I cannot remember any English names on the sauce's just pictures one had a squid am sure was a squid sauce. When I got back and was stationed at carswell afb (sac) there was an Asian market I used that I stocked up from and then used my stock for many years!

My basic learning was based using that squid? And one or two other sauces, ? One may have been based on sardines?

?

Then as all things in life my basic life changed and took other tangent's!

If possible avoid C.R.S it does come with age or un use in time!

Tho real Thai sauce's for me are a good starting point on my future journeys using my old wok!

Note!

Around any military base stateside there will be an real Asian market!

Dammit you sure sound smug!

#$$##5-+-$#!

Grin!

Dammit !

Basil?

I used to grow most of my herbs, been using dried longer than I can remember!

You gave me another reason to cuss you!

Easy pleesy for me to setup a indoor herb box inside for the winter and outside in warmer weather! Another thing I used to do but life changing left behind!

Had a true love, but my mistake not going her way that was a German/Russian that taught me on how to do!

Seeds once bought need not be bought again!

And nothing and I mean nothing beats fresh when it comes to herbs! As long as they can be grown inside or outside depending!

Which brings to mind growing my own mushrooms which I have done and is easier than most think!

But that is another thread to be made!

Sent from my Nexus 7
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Thanks

My fish sauce is anchovie based. Now I need to get to the Asian market to see what others they have. When I bought it I just grabbed one off the shelf.

I have a extensive herb garden and it does quite well for the short growing season here at 7200' I've been making a Greek salad dressing that is very tasty.

1 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup Braggs ACV
    1 minced garlic clove
    1ts finely minced onion
    1/2 ts pink sea salt
    Splash of white wine
    Greek oregano, spearmint, thyme, basil and rosemary all finely minced.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to milehi For This Useful Post:

Dogman (14th September 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by milehi View Post
    My fish sauce is anchovie based. Now I need to get to the Asian market to see what others they have. When I bought it I just grabbed one off the shelf.

I have a extensive herb garden and it does quite well for the short growing season here at 7200' I've been making a Greek salad dressing that is very tasty.

1 olive oil
    1/2 red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup Braggs ACV
    1 minced garlic clove
    1ts finely minced onion
    1/2 ts pink sea salt
    Splash of white wine
    Greek oregano, spearmint, thyme, basil and rosemary all finely minced.
    Anchovies !

Yes!

The sauce is the only good IMO for those bastard's, tho in fish sauce wonderful!

Forgot that one, which these days not unusual!

Herb garden's along with mushrooms can be grown year long every year. Indoors and outdoors anywhere as long as nutrition/humidity/water and temp conditions can be met!

If done right they will thrive!

24/7/365 onwards!

Ignoring =failure!

When it comes to upkeep, which is not demanding!

I need to get some starter seeds/cuttings , thinking I may have everything else?

Blasts from the past (mine) to do again! Amazing what we can forget for years just waiting for a trigger!

7000 feet?

Punk!

The correct humidity plus light from a window with correct temps work magic!

Just needs the dedication to make it so!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

hmm Braggs make "the" apple cider vinegar. Looked for that one down here. No luck so far getting stock. love ACV.

The Liquid Aminos is now called All Purpose Seasoning? I can find that one here.... and a small vinegar. not the gallon jug. Still, is good news.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks

isn't it amazing how something awakens memory's and appetites that do demand to be revisited?

Within the next hour of so I am fixing to do my first major stir fry in my barely and newly reseasoned wok.

But starting a herb indoor garden for now and out door when the season changes is and will happen within the week.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

Celtic Rogue (15th September 2015),Glass (14th September 2015)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

yes I've decided that I'll be looking for a wok tomorrow. I'll buy a camping cook top for the heat if it comes to it.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks

yumm.

See now I need to work up a supply of green onions/scallions and celery to add to my list of things to grow or keep handy to my need to have list... along with other veg's.

And deficiently a tad of garlic...

All fresh, most can be grown in a window still indoors, during winter.

Dam the thoughts of bell peppers are messing with my mind, along with other peppers to add to the mix!

First fry was a complete sucksess, for the first go in years! And can see and taste what was missing.

Diffidently a work in progress...!

Spices Hummmmm?

The mixes along with the tastes are endless!

Going by past experience within a few weeks, most of what I have listed can be grown indoors during winter and the rest can be had on the cheep from the local store.

Glass jump right in the water is just fine !

Just got of the phone with my younger half brother RichG (other forum) and to my amazement he has never used a wok,

His loss big time,

Lots that I do not know about him, we may only talk once every several years, more or less, mostly less. He was in the af like me but after the Viet Nam thingy and stationed in Germany, but this is a thread about woks and Asian style cooking, but not limited to it.

As long as it was cooked in a wok!

In time I think my memory will kick in of some of the other things that were non Asian, and more European that I used my wok to cook in. know I did it and they turned out great because of the quick cooking, but dam it I do have some holes in my memory but they are returning to the point I really need to ether record them writing or electronically

I have done a bunch of stuff in this lifetime, mostly because I never settled down until very late in life.

That is my excuse anyway!

Or what can be tasty and cooked in a wok, which can be any and everything, as long as it is chopped small enough so it can be flashed fried and cooked.

Which is what a wok does best !

Grinning !

Thanks

Excellent thread, great read.... thank you!
    * This space for rent *

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Camp Bassfish For This Useful Post:

Dogman (15th September 2015)

Thanks
    Moving on to the next stage of my reeducation, and jumping in with both feet doing thai fried rice "Khao phat " which sounds like cow pot to western ears.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_fried_rice

Using this link has reminded my of my own doings in the past.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Khao...ao+Pad&tbm=vid

It is a tossup between for tonights meal, was at the store and picked up some shrimp, pork and chicken, along with most of the veg's with some pepper subs mentioned in the videos (have spent years looking for thai peppers, tho once got a hold of some seeds and for years grew my own)

If you are not sweating your ass off, during and after eating these dishes,

you are not doing it right !

Also if I recall the tongue also turns bright red as it feels like it is burning off from tip to root , when using the proper peppers !

All the dishes are very fast cooking!

Still need to find some of these sauces, maybe in the local big town, it does have a large Asian population. That I can ask around about finding what I need.

And also find a tree trunk chopping block, brought one back when I came home, it got lost in the shuffle over the years.