Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait to kill possom and racoons but not cats ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,857 Posts

Bait to kill possom and racoons but not cats ?

Any suggestions for this problem?

There is some animal I think that is getting on my back deck and moving things around a making a lot of noise. It is scaring me but when I peak out the window I can't see anything.

I have seen a possom once back there but no raccoons yet around this suburban neighborhood. (I think racconns are cute and don't like idea of killing one, but possums are beady-eyed rat like rabid looking varmints that I have no sympathy for.)

I would like to set some kind of poison out there to kill them but do not want to kill my neighbors' cats that often visit. They have never gotten on my deck and made a racket and sounded like they are moving things around.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

I have noticed that when I turn on all the lights, whatever it is ceases and desists, but I always have my gun drawn just to be on the safe side in case it is a two legged critter.

Any suggestions for this problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

Re: Bait to kill possom and racoons but not cats ?

Set a trap with canned cat food and see what you get.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

3. The Following User Says Thank You to osoab For This Useful Post:

Dachsie (3rd September 2014)

Thanks

Nope no poison is that specific. Better to live trap them... that way if its your neighbors cat you just let it go. If its anything else... [put it in your car still in the live trap and drive far away and release it.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic Rogue For This Useful Post:

madfranks (3rd September 2014)

Thanks

Thanks for very wise suggestions.

Do you think I can order a trap from Walmart or where would I get one?

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKJAMHM/...SIN=B00FKJAMHM

Click to open expanded view

Live Pet Animal Trap Racoon Skunk Rabbit Cat Dog Traps Steel Cage 26"LX9"WX12"H

by ARKSEN

1 customer review

Price: $42.96 & FREE Shipping

Only 8 left in stock.
    Ships from and sold by Best Deal Tools.

• Trap Dimension: 26" (L) X 9 1/2" (W) X 12" (H)
    • Made Of Heavy-Duty Tubular Steel
    • Green Powder Coated Finish
    • Spring Loaded Doors On Both Ends Of The Trap
    • Pop-Up Carry Handle For Easy Storage And Transport

2 new from $42.96
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic Rogue For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Some General Raccoon Information - Raccoons breed mainly in February and March with a gestation period of 63 days. Adult males travel within areas of about 3 to 8 square miles, compared to about 1 to 3 square miles for females. What Damage to raccoons do?
    The different types of damage which raccoons are capable of are almost too numerous to mention. In urban environments, raccoons are more than capable of finding homes in uncapped chimneys. tearing off shingles or fascia in order to gain entrance to an attic or wall void, tearing up lawns in search for grubs and earthworms, destroying gardens, and upsetting and eating the contents of garbage cans. In attics and wall voids, the build-up of raccoon feces and urine can constitute health hazards to the homeowner. In more rural environments, raccoons can be highly destructive in and around poultry barns.

What bait should I use for raccoons?
    Fish, fresh or canned, honey or sugar covered vegetables, smoked fish, watermelon, sweet corn, cooked fatty meat, crisp bacon. Special favorite of the raccoon is marshmallows!

Where should I place raccoons traps?
    Locate the trap in an area where raccoons are often observed. Place the trap on a level surface. Since raccoons tend to dig all the dirt up under the trap, place the trap on a flat piece of wood. Dispose of the wood after the raccoon is caught. Position one side of the trap against a wall of a building or in a path commonly traveled by raccoons. Before handling the trap, you may want to spray with an insecticide because they often have fleas and ticks. Wear sturdy gloves to cover your hands, since raccoons and skunks carry many diseases. If there are known cases of rabies in your area, we suggest that you contact a professional animal removal service.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic Rogue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dachsie View Post
    I have noticed that when I turn on all the lights, whatever it is ceases and desists, but I always have my gun drawn just to be on the safe side in case it is a two legged critter.
    U have an outdoor porch light? Replace it with a motion detecting fixture... very cheap @ Home Depot etc. You set range & sensitivity, and whether it stays on for 1, 5, or 10 minutes after being activated. Convenient for the residents too, as when they approach their darkened house, the outdoor lights turn on. Uninvited 2 legged varmints don't like these lights though.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/motion+de...+lights?NCNI-5
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dachsie View Post
    Thanks for very wise suggestions.

Do you think I can order a trap from Walmart or where would I get one?
    Any farm store will have the live traps.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

14. The Following User Says Thank You to osoab For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My big town has one farm store. Will go there and get one as well as the motion detector thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 999 Posts

Racoons and possums are attracted to dog and cat food and trash cans, and sometimes possums will even eat chicken feed.
    Any food like that left out, or even in bins on a deck will eventually attract them.
    "Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they found it."