Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big day in science today - gravitational waves are discovered

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Re: Big day in science today - gravitational waves are discovered

Lucky enough to pick up on 2 black holes uniting the last fraction of the second, the day prior to the official start of the measuring. It seems like an incredibly rare event (assuming black holes are real, which they probably aren't). I would be interested if this cosmic "collision" was recorded otherwise and how? The predictions of the masses of these black holes and distance from earth are very precise...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    Lucky enough to pick up on 2 black holes uniting the last fraction of the second, the day prior to the official start of the measuring. It seems like an incredibly rare event (assuming black holes are real, which they probably aren't). I would be interested if this cosmic "collision" was recorded otherwise and how? The predictions of the masses of these black holes and distance from om earth are very precise...
    It is compared to a numerical solution of a general relativity simulation of two black holes spiraling together. The parameters are tweaked (optimized) to make fit the signal, and thus predict the masses, etc. of the black holes. This still begs the question whether black holes even exist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    It is compared to a numerical solution of a general relativity simulation of two black holes spiraling together. The parameters are tweaked (optimized) to make fit the signal, and thus predict the masses, etc. of the black holes. This still begs the question whether black holes even exist.
    Yes, they make a prediction of an event to fit the signal. Then they turn it around and state that the event is real and that it created this "gravitational wave" that was detected by their giant radio tube. This is bullshit circular reasoning. The fact is they got a signal, and they have no idea what created it, unless they created it themselves, an explanation I'm leaning towards...

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I'd like to know if they have to take into account any curvature of the earth with their L detector thingo.

It's a highly stable and precise device that suffers no variations from any source? Of course they would filter out any obvious sources of interference with the beams stability. Not sure how they do it.

I saw somewhere that the earths resistance was 220 Ohms. Was watching one of those presentations on electric universe and the Auroras, the existence of them at the poles of saturn and neptune? The hexagonal storm on the top of one of them or maybe more than one. Even NASA filmed that one.

Anyway I was looking into resitance. Seems they just make crap up to fit. Standardised measurement - for the purposes of mathematics/design. That is basically what it boiled down to. Not an actual real situation but a standard.

I was wondering if the 220 Ohms was a close approximation and the real number might be 222 Ohms. Graphene is also interesting. I wonder how it would perform on those sound/vibration experiments compared to other materials like sand.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elemen...lly-found-them

The LIGO team includes a small group of people whose job is to create blind injections—bogus evidence of a gravitational wave—as a way of keeping the scientists on their toes. Although everyone knew who the four people in that group were, “we didn’t know what, when, or whether,” Gabriela González, the collaboration’s spokeswoman, said. During Initial LIGO’s final run, in 2010, the detectors picked up what appeared to be a strong signal. The scientists analyzed it intensively for six months, concluding that it was a gravitational wave from somewhere in the constellation of Canis Major. Just before they submitted their results for publication, however, they learned that the signal was a fake.

This time through, the blind-injection group swore that they had nothing to do with the signal. Marco Drago thought that their denials might also be part of the test, but Reitze, himself a member of the quartet, had a different concern. “My worry was—and you can file this under the fact that we are just paranoid cautious about making a false claim—could somebody have done this maliciously?” he said. “Could somebody have somehow faked a signal in our detector that we didn’t know about?” Reitze, Weiss, González, and a handful of others considered who, if anyone, was familiar enough with both the apparatus and the algorithms to have spoofed the system and covered his or her tracks. There were only four candidates, and none of them had a plausible motive. “We grilled those guys,” Weiss said. “And no, they didn’t do it.” Ultimately, he said, “We accepted that the most economical explanation was that it really is a black-hole pair.”
    Sounds like a small team that have practiced making fake signals for ages, and they were caught doing this before. Now we are supposed to believe their insurances that they didn't do it...

I'll say waterboard them, that should be more effective than "grilling" them. I don't think any of these Jew conspirators would hold up very long...

Thanks

We'll all just have to wait and see what comes of this, might end up being a false positive or even just a dead end, either way its all just a bit of fun at this stage, but it sure as heck is funny watching a bunch of "arm chair astronomers" getting all indignant and asserting they know more than the experts, lol

Secrets in Plain Sight - A side splitting yet fascinating mockumentary for the archaeologicaly inept and wilfully ignorant.
    "I literaly couldn't stop laughing" - Rolling Stone Magazine "Its like watching a train wreck, but funnier" - NYT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aeondaze View Post
    We'll all just have to wait and see what comes of this, might end up being a false positive or even just a dead end, either way its all just a bit of fun at this stage, but it sure as heck is funny watching a bunch of "arm chair astronomers" getting all indignant and asserting they know more than the experts, lol

May be another case of popping the cork too early. (If you recall, this was about the Bicep2 gravitational wave in 2014 that was proved false)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aeondaze View Post

You don't see a problem in interpreting a signal as two black holes colliding and then from that interpret it as evidence of a gravitational wave, because these are experts?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,383 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    You don't see a problem in interpreting a signal as two black holes colliding and then from that interpret it as evidence of a gravitational wave, because these are experts?
    I don't think their paper has been published yet. This is all science journalism at this point (albeit from reputable sources like Nature). Maybe in their paper the whole black hole thing is a "what if" scenario, and they focus mostly on the signal itself and eliminating source of error such that the signal could only be explained by gravity. We don't know quite yet. Once the paper is published, other scientists will be eager to tear it apart.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vacuum View Post
    I don't think their paper has been published yet. This is all science journalism at this point (albeit from reputable sources like Nature). Maybe in their paper the whole black hole thing is a "what if" scenario, and they focus mostly on the signal itself and eliminating source of error such that the signal could only be explained by gravity. We don't know quite yet. Once the paper is published, other scientists will be eager to tear it apart.
    Here is the paper: https://dspace.mit.edu/openaccess-di.../1721.1/101166

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnQPublic For This Useful Post:

Neuro (15th February 2016),vacuum (15th February 2016)