Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ban on cash is coming. Soon.

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

The ban on cash is coming. Soon.

The ban on cash is coming. Soon.
    By Simon Black - February 17, 2016

This is starting to become very concerning.
    The momentum to “ban cash”, and in particular high denomination notes like the 500 euro and $100 bills, is seriously picking up steam.
    On Monday the European Central Bank President emphatically disclosed that he is strongly considering phasing out the 500 euro note.
    Yesterday, former US Treasury Secretary Larry Summers published an op-ed in the Washington Post about getting rid of the $100 bill.
    Prominent economists and banks have joined the refrain and called for an end to cash in recent months.
    The reasoning is almost always the same: cash is something that only criminals, terrorists, and tax cheats use.
    In his op-ed, Summers refers to a new Harvard research paper entitled: “Making it Harder for the Bad Guys: The Case for Eliminating High Denomination Notes”.
    That title pretty much sums up the conventional thinking. And the paper goes on to propose abolishing, among others, 500 euro and $100 bills.
    The authors claim that “without being able to use high denomination notes, those engaged in illicit activities – the ‘bad guys’ of our title – would face higher costs and greater risks of detection. Eliminating high denomination notes would disrupt their ‘business models’.”
    Personally I find this comical.
    I can just imagine a bunch of bureaucrats and policy wonks sitting in a room pretending to know anything about criminal activity.
    It’s total nonsense. As long as there has been human civilization there has been crime. Crime pre-dates cash. And it will exist long after they attempt to ban it.
    Perhaps even more hilarious is that many of these bankrupt governments have become so desperate for economic growth that they now count illegal drug activity and prostitution in their GDP calculations, both of which are typically transacted in cash.
    So, ironically, by banning cash these governments will end up reducing their own GDP figures.
    What’s really behind this? Why is there such a big movement to ban something that is used for felonious purposes by just a fraction of a percent of the population?
    Cash, it turns out, is the Achilles’ Heel of the financial system.
    Central banks around the world have kept interest rates at near-zero levels for nearly eight years now.
    And despite having created massive bubbles and enabled extraordinary amounts of debt, their policies aren’t working.
    Especially in Europe, the hope of stoking economic growth (and even the sickening goal of inflation) has failed.
    So naturally, since what they’ve been trying hasn’t worked, their response is to continue trying the same thing… and more of it.
    Interest rates across the European continent are now negative.
    Japanese interest rates are now negative.
    And even in the United States, the Federal Reserve has acknowledged that negative interest rates are being considered.
    They have no other choice; raising rates will bankrupt the governments they support and derail any fledgling economic growth.
    Look at how low interest rates are in the US-- and yet 4th quarter GDP practically ground to a halt. They simply cannot afford to raise rates.
    As global economic weakness continues to play out, central banks will have no other option but to take interest rates even further into negative territory.
    That said, negative interest rates will be the destruction of the financial system.
    Because sooner or later, if banks have to pay negative wholesale interest rates to each other and to the central bank, then eventually they’ll have to pass those negative rates on to their customers.
    Many banks have already started doing this, especially on larger depositors.
    We’ve seen this in Europe where some banks charge their customers negative interest to save money, and in some extraordinary circumstances, pay other customers to borrow money.
    It’s total madness.
    There’s a certain point, however, when interest rates become so negative that no rational person would hold money in the banking system.
    Eventually people will realize that they’re better off withdrawing their money and holding physical cash.
    Sure, cash doesn’t pay any interest. But it doesn’t cost any either.
    If you have a $200,000 in your savings account at negative 1%, you’d have to pay the bank $2,000 each year.
    Clearly it would make more sense to buy a safe and hold most of that money in cash.
    Problem is, the banks don’t have the money.
    For starters, there’s literally not enough cash in the entire financial system to pay out more than a fraction of all bank deposits.
    More importantly, banks (especially in the US and Europe) are extremely illiquid.
    They invest the vast majority of your deposit in illiquid loans or securities of dubious long-term value, whatever the latest stupid investment fad happens to be.
    And many banks have been engaging in a substantial balance sheet shift, rotating bonds from what’s called “Available for Sale” to “Hold to Maturity”.
    This is an accounting trick used to hide losses in their bond portfolios. But it also means they have less liquidity available to support bank customer withdrawal requests.
    The natural side effect of negative interest rates is pushing people to hold money outside of the banking system.
    Yet it’s clear that a surge of withdrawal requests would bring down that system.
    Banks don’t want that to happen. Governments don’t want that to happen.
    But since central banks have no other choice than to continue imposing negative interest rates, the only logical option is to ban cash and force consumers to hold their money within the banking system.
    Make no mistake, this is absolutely a form of capital controls. And it’s coming soon to a banking system near you.
    Conclusion: Clearly a trend with this much momentum requires some deliberate and measured action if you don’t want your savings trapped.
    We’ll discuss this in our upcoming webinar.
    I hate to belabor the point, but it should be obvious that these things are happening, quickly, and I can promise that you’ll get a ton of great information and solutions with the small investment of your time.

- See more at: http://www.thedailybell.com/news-ana....4C4IKA5Y.dpuf
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

Re: The ban on cash is coming. Soon.

Paper fiat is made by the Fed........coins by the government......., what can you do with a piece of paper? and what can you do with a coin? LOT OF THINGS....save all your coins. The more that I learn, the better that I can get ready.

V
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Great Value Carrots StreetsOfGold's Avatar
    Thanks

This has been KNOWN by us Bible believers for centuries, but it's always good when the "world" wakes up (a little) to Bible TRUTH!!

Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
    Revelation 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
    Murder was the Catholic answer - Pope Francis

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StreetsOfGold For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (20th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

A lot of you Bitcoin naysayers will come to love Bitcoin once cash is outlawed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shami-Amourae For This Useful Post:

madfranks (18th February 2016)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shami-Amourae View Post
    A lot of you Bitcoin naysayers will come to love Bitcoin once cash is outlawed.
    Not sold on that yet...it's still all digital currency to me subject to powers and events out of my control

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joshua01 For This Useful Post:

mick silver (18th February 2016),Ponce (18th February 2016),Sparky (18th February 2016)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua01 View Post
    Not sold on that yet...it's still all digital currency to me subject to powers and events out of my control
    Not only to the power but also to power itself..... when the power goes out? what will you use?.....bye bye bitcoins...hello coins, remember......there are no longer paper fiat...and you are right Joshua for, "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ponce For This Useful Post:

Sparky (18th February 2016)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 7,912 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua01 View Post
    And EMP of course.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
    Paper fiat is made by the Fed........coins by the government......., what can you do with a piece of paper? and what can you do with a coin? LOT OF THINGS....save all your coins. The more that I learn, the better that I can get ready.

V
    You can't wipe your ass with coins.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    You can't wipe your ass with coins.
    Hahahahahahs.........yes I can.........can you do it with bit coins?

By the way,,,,,,the way of asking that question was not vey dignified of you. Remember who you are, and your position at this site.

V

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ponce For This Useful Post:

madfranks (18th February 2016),mick silver (19th February 2016)

Palladium
    Thanks

Will any of you "gold/silver bugs" entertain a dumb question? How can I know a coin is gold or silver? How can I know an ingot is either gold or silver? By its color? By its weight?

What does someone do, carry his own testing equipment whenever he contemplates receiving gold/silver in exchange for something of value he has to offer? A corollary is: How much expectation do we have that a shopkeeper, or seller (of whatever) will just accept your coin (that "looks" like gold/silver) and know how much it is worth and have your transaction proceed as smoothly as it would if you just forked over a "Jackson" (twenty dollar bill)?

Years ago I was willing to part with a huge wad of cash (one hundred dollar bills) for some coins laid out on the glass counter, but, the seller chickened out at the last minute, so, I left the store with my cash, NOT the coins. Afterwards, I started wondering how foolish I would have felt had those coins been counterfeit - I had NO WAY of knowing since I have never really handled either gold or silver, except back when quarters were actually 90% silver.

So, yes, the question burns - how is the general public going to have any confidence in the purity, or correct impurity, of the coins you hope to exchange for your toilet paper?

The ONLY hiccup I've ever had in using the good ole' "yankee dollar" was when I use a fifty (or one-hundred) - the clerk would hold it up to the light, and, look for one thing or another that they had been trained to look for - that all took less than a second or two, and, then, bingo! I got my goods and whatever change was coming. Can anybody expect this kind of ease should you lay down a gold/silver coin instead?

Has anybody ever actually used gold/silver coins in a typical retail purchasing situation?

Just asking.

I got more questions about this push for "cashless" monetary policy, but, this one is the upfront burning one.

And also, what the hell is going on with stopping the printing of one hundred dollar bills? So? Can't they just use two fifty's? I just don't get it. Somebody is playing mind games with us - I really suspect that! But I can't figure what their "game" is - it seems like the three stooges in real life running our monetary policy, but it ain't funny.