Thread: America's Little Fukushima: Nuclear Plant Leaking 'Uncontrollable' Amounts of Radioac

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

America's Little Fukushima: Nuclear Plant Leaking 'Uncontrollable' Amounts of Radioac

America's Little Fukushima: Nuclear Plant Leaking 'Uncontrollable' Amounts of Radioactive Waste Into Drinking Water of 23 Million New Yorkers

Source: Blacklisted News

https://spoonsenergymatters.files.wo...ng-station.jpg

An investigation recently called upon by New York governor Andrew Cuomo after the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant reported nuclear material leaking into the areas groundwater reveals a staggering 80% increase in contamination over previous samples. Reported as a "disaster waiting to happen" experts suggest the immediate deactivation of the facility located just 25 miles north of New York City to halt the further contamination of 23 million people's water.

The plant which is owned and operated by Entergy has experienced and reported leaks in the past but one iron worker who worked at the facility is unsurprised citing: "I was kind of shocked at how decrepit the facility seemed." upon receiving work there. More troubling though is that the official numbers reported of the most recent samples may not be nearly as accurate as samples from other locations which reported results as much as "65,000 percent times" the readings taken before the Cuomo's investigation.

While Paul Gallay, president of watchdog group Riverkeeper, suggested the immediate close of the facility Entergy officials suggest that the tritium leaking into the ground water poses no significant health risk and confusingly cite that "the effected groundwater is on their property" as evidence and that ultimately the contamination problem is more regulatory than it is a concern for the environment.

In the past year the problems plaguing the facility are not limited to radioactive leakage but also power outtages, fires and safety alarm malfunctions that further threaten the workers at the facility and local residents. “This latest failure at Indian Point is unacceptable and I have directed Department of Environmental Conservation Acting Commissioner Basil Seggos and Department of Health Commissioner Howard Zucker to fully investigate this incident and employ all available measures, including working with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, to determine the extent of the release, its likely duration, cause, and potential impacts to the environment and public health,” Governor Cuomo said in an official statement.

“For over 40 years, Entergy’s Indian Point nuclear facilities have been damaging the coastal resources of the Hudson River estuary…New York is home to four commercial nuclear facilities. When properly located and safely functioning, these facilities are regarded as important generators of electricity… However, by virtue of its location as well as its operations, the Department cannot make the same finding as to Indian Point,” Secretary of State Cesar Perales said.

Unfortunately though the fate of the facility is uncertain as the decision to close Indian Point Nuclear Plant in the interest of workplace safety and the cessation of radioactive groundwater contamination affecting 23 million people does not, for whatever reason, seem like an obvious one to the state of New York or U.S. federal regulatory agencies.

Share This Article...

“Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (3rd March 2016)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Re: America's Little Fukushima: Nuclear Plant Leaking 'Uncontrollable' Amounts of Rad

Does it seem to others, as it does to me, that the Nuclear Industry has intentionally set things up to fail? That is, it would seem to be a type of terrorism directed at populations, but to what purpose? I don't see any way that nuclear energy could be cost effective, given the damage it is causing world wide and the cost to remediate any contamination, which in my opinion is of little effect anyway. Yes, I know the demons that control the fate of mankind get erections at the thought of nuclear armaments but surely it goes beyond this.

What do they know that we don't? What do we know that they don't? There is no way of remediating nuclear contamination. There is no safe way to dispose of nuclear waste. It sits there forever, threatening future populations. In what way is this acceptable? Should one consider it to be a case of short-sighted greed, or stupidity, or just plain old evil? Maybe all three.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

mick silver (3rd March 2016),skidmark (3rd March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 4,272 Posts

Re: America's Little Fukushima: Nuclear Plant Leaking 'Uncontrollable' Amounts of Rad

Yellow cake factories. By-product is electricity.
    Jackie did it and you know it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cebu_4_2 For This Useful Post:

collector (3rd March 2016)

Platinum
    Thanks

No one ever talks about that - the reason this dangerous power source is so prolific in a country that seems to have an unlimited supply of depleted uranium ammo...direct correlation perhaps?
    The consolidation of the States into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. --General Robert E Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Does it seem to others, as it does to me, that the Nuclear Industry has intentionally set things up to fail? That is, it would seem to be a type of terrorism directed at populations, but to what purpose? I don't see any way that nuclear energy could be cost effective, given the damage it is causing world wide and the cost to remediate any contamination, which in my opinion is of little effect anyway. Yes, I know the demons that control the fate of mankind get erections at the thought of nuclear armaments but surely it goes beyond this.

What do they know that we don't? What do we know that they don't? There is no way of remediating nuclear contamination. There is no safe way to dispose of nuclear waste. It sits there forever, threatening future populations. In what way is this acceptable? Should one consider it to be a case of short-sighted greed, or stupidity, or just plain old evil? Maybe all three.
    I doubt there's a conspiracy here, just ineptitude.

Nuclear power is only profitable if you cut corners.

If it was done correctly, and safely it wouldn't be profitable.

Everyone in this process expects the others guy to be responsible and pick of the slack, but none of them ever do.