Thread: Kit 'O Beer #31 - Australian Pale Ale

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Kit 'O Beer #31 - Australian Pale Ale

I had this one and the Canadian blonde sitting in the cupboard so dropped it on Sunday.

No hop boil on this one

The recipe:
    1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
    1.25 kg LHBS brew booster powdered malt
    2 x 7gms Coopers standatd yeast - 4 hr rehydrate.

Dry Hop
    2 - 3oz Cascade pellet hops

Changes:
    None

OG unknown
    Volume: 23L
    Fermenter: Standard #1

Brew temp: 28C - ambient
    Pitch temp: 22C
    Current temp: 22C

Notes:
    I didn't take an OG on this one. This fermenter is the one with the over tightened spigot, so basically the spigot needs to be screwed in further than normal to seal it and when you do that, the outlet is not pointing straight down. In this case it is 1/3 of a turn further around. The opening is almost at the top. It's too difficult to take a sample. I might spin it around a small amount at the end of the week to take a sample, just to track when it's done.

I will think about it. Or I might just wing it.

I usually put in dry malt then added 3 or 4L water 3 - 4 quarts. Mix violently. Then pour in the liquid malt.

This time I did dry malt, then liquid malt then hot water then mix. Top up to 23L

The temp seems to be running at about 23C which is a bit high. Can't seem to get this one down those last couple degrees. So far it has been fermenting ok. Got a nice krausen going.

I will do a 24hr cascade dry hop then keg. Not going to mess around any more.

will need to buy another fermenter or try and get replacement faucet for the Coopers one as that leaks also.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Re: Kit 'O Beer #31 - Australian Pale Ale

ok well thats another keg to go down the drain. The gas line let go, the kegs depressurised and all the gas is gone. No chance of getting any more gas at least until monday so it's done. its full of air now so it's spoiled anyway.

Given that it's now about the 8th brew in a row thats gone bad for one reason or another I guess we have to chuck it in. I can't afford to be buying beer let alone throwing it down the drain as well.

I guess if I stick to swill it will save a lot of money because I can only get down about 2 beers before the hangover sets in from the ethanol or meths they add to it.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Re: Kit 'O Beer #31 - Australian Pale Ale

drove a lot of places today and managed to get a tank of gas. from a welding place. Had a conversation with the guy and you just know they get what youre doing but no one talks about it directly. Using welding co2 for beer gas. I was talking about an adapter so I could connect the harris 601 reg. I learned that the regulator is considered to be part of the tank valve, even though it can be disconnected from the tank. So an adapter is a no no.

plugged it in to keg. I wanted to pressurise so I coud draw off some beer and see what state it is in. Apart from the liquid disconnect pissing beer everywhere. The beer was surprisingly carbonated. Needs a bit more but only a little. Smells pleasant. No strong hop aroma. Tastes ok. The beer is green given that it's only a few days old.

I don't think this disposable gas stuff is the way to go. Despite people saying it's the same thing. It has an oily mouth feel IMO. It is not make you puke intense but its there. Anyway at least it is not spoiled, other than this oily residue. So long as that doesn't kill me we will get through this and focus on getting a proper tank as soon as we can. I notice prices of new tanks have jumped 10% in the past couple weeks. hmmm

on another positive note followed an amazing green Lamborghini Murcielago for a few kilometres. What an amazing sounding beast. It is a very wide car. Lots of people out cruising around today. Plenty of motorcycles as well.

Liberty Tree.