Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making money on Youtube

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Making money on Youtube

This might be a lounge discussion. I don't know.

I like to check out car reviews. Not everyday cars. Super cars or hyper cars. There are a few channels I follow that do regular car reviews and obviously when the opportunity presents super cars as well.

I came across a review for something, a McLaren or Ferrari. something like that and it was along the lines of "Why I bought" or "Living with" the car. Anyway video was by a young person mid 20's. I'm thinking right. Rich kid. I watched anyway and while the Tuber was clearly english public school educated they didn't come across as a prat, spoiled brat. I watched a couple other videos they did and the style is friendly and personable.

These are not rich middle eastern kids running amok in London in the summer.

The videos are not always about their cars although a lot are. There are videos on adventures, driving here, joining convoy runs. Jumping in other peoples super cars for quick drives, ride alongs and occasionally casual interview type things. Then I noticed they had a large number of subscribers/followers.

I noticed they also linked to a couple other channels of people around the same age doing the same thing. Now some of them probably came from wealthy families, well spoken in that english way. They all seem reasonably personable. It is only a few minute window in to the highlights of their world though. I think most of them made the money they bought the cars with. Even is a couple may have got a leg up through family. I think in the main they do their own thing.

What intrigued me was the number of people following along and the number of views they get per video. In some cases they are punching out a video per day and when some event is on, car show or road trip the videos are more frequent.

Then I go thinking, are they making real money from YT. In one case, one of these kids has funded all his cars from YT - owning one at a time and upgrading after a year or so.

Then I started looking at other Youtubers and I was floored by how much monety some of these people are making. I did come across a web page that showed daily page view states, how many ads were being watched long enought to generate a comission and other elements adding to the estimated income. Lets face it, estimated could be a long way from reality but some numbers looked pretty solid.

I would say once you get to about 500,000 subscribers and you hit 20%+ views per video e.g. 100,000 views per vid, you are making some money in the few grand per vid. They might pull $50,000 - $100,000 per year.

When you start to look at the real big hitters on YT like Pewdie Pie and Bieber and others who have millions and tens of millions of subscribers and some are getting 40 - 50% of subscriber numbers in views per video they are talking Tens of $1,000 per day. Some are pulling what might be more than $100,000 per week. The numbers are mind boggling.

Pewdie pie does games I think. Never watched. Bieber of course does Emo. Some are doing makeup tips, clothing, technology. Rappers. Stupidity, moronity, Hicock45 does guns. There is even one called What is Inside. It's a Dad and his young son and they cut stuff open to see whats in the guts. Bowling balls, wasp nests. pool balls. Even they would be pulling tens of $1000's per video.

if you then fine tune the adverts playing with your videos you can increase your commish, add some Merch and you could be really pulling in some moola.

Quite an eye opener. Given some of the personalities around here some GSUS thunderdome shit fight YT videos could be a crowd pleaser?
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

Serpo (8th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,066 Times in 2,708 Posts

Re: Making money on Youtube

I absolutely love Benchmadefor knives and I would love to do product reviews

My hook would be to do a review of a knife and tell a practical application story

I especially would push the fact that I have big hands so certain knives wouldn't make sense to use unless you are a collector.

I also would by whatever I'm reviewing and pay full boat to avoid bias
    Honor The Most High, Keep His Commandments and all will go well with you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Twisted Titan For This Useful Post:

Glass (27th April 2016)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

I think the key is doing what you like and being natural. It seems to me the most popular people on YT are just that. And buying something your reviewing adds to the integrity of it. You don't have to feel any obligation to the maker or supplier.

I'm just stunned by the $$ potential and the number of YT'ers who are in those numbers. Combine everyone and you are talking amazing numbers. + YT takes a sizable cut from all YT'ers. It really is a massive business.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,066 Times in 2,708 Posts

My wee one watches these girls called come play with me.

They are playing house with elsa and Anna dolls and it's all improv

These kids are CONSISTENTLY racking up videos 5 million plus views and sometimes 11 million.
    Honor The Most High, Keep His Commandments and all will go well with you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Twisted Titan For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (27th April 2016)

Thanks

One major problem with google adsense on youtube is that a lot of plebs have discovered it in the past couple of years and are fighting over a smaller piece of the pie thus reducing the overall quality of the content. For instance they create all these crappy clickbait videos with titles like "barnfind" where they only go to some dude that has had something in air conditioned storage for a couple of years, or "reviews" of products people don't even own but just blatantly copy pictures of from the internet and do a crappy voiceover etc. Another cancerous moneywhoring trend i have a dislike for is the type of video where they buy some brand new overpriced cellphone or similar popular product and destroy it just to get views and then reading the comments from all the clueless apes that cant fathom why somebody would do such a thing. Oh and the "reaction" videos.. Which is another interesting subject in it self. The largest "reaction" channel on youtube, run by 2 jews, recently in their bottomless greed tried to copyright usage of the term "react" and even went as far as to try to sell the concept to their idiot viewers so they could generate ad reveneue from all their "licensed" react channels... kinda backfired though, but the reaction business is for the most part staged, overplayed and often politicized etc. One more trend that recently got exposed as being totally fake is the so called prank channels where hordes of people have come forward to let others know that it was all fake and that they played the role as an actor.

The biggest problem with all this is that people don't know what is fake or real anymore. One trend where this is obvious is when it comes to abandoned places. Since so many people use the keyword "abandoned" in their video just to get views and then squeeze a few extra dollars out of the guilible viewer they have now come to the point that they believe that all abandoned places are trashed and destroyed by vandals and copperthievs etc, and when somebody shows a genuinely abandoned place where things are untouched they all scream fake fake fake.

OPs observations are correct though, a lot of common folk have made huge fortunes thanks to it. All it takes is the rights to one viral video and you can be set.

TLDR: youtube is crap thanks to the moneywhoring that is currently taking place there which is making everything fake.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Norweger For This Useful Post:

Serpo (8th May 2016)

Unobtanium
    Thanks

YT is a mixed bag. There is a massive amount of YT SPAM now. The term "review" is probably one of the most abused terms in YT land.

As I said I like to watch car videos. Either people reviewing a car or owners telling about their cars and people getting up to adventures. Motorbikes is another one I like to check out but using the term motorbike/motorcycle review will get you pages of YT SPAM like you describe. A slide show of pictures pulled from the net with that automated script reader voice over the top.

And there will be 20 or more videos uploaded in the space of 30 minutes in the one channel so the first half dozen pages of results are rubbish.

I try and filter out this crap but its' a challenge. Now when i find something of interest I check out a few videos, book mark the channel if it's good and also look at a few of the other channels linked to is because they are often similar or at least filtered. With the super car stuff I've been checking out I've realised a few of these guys know each other but I think in most cases they met via driving adventures, saw that so and so was YT'ing and decided to join in.

If you can stomach these guys, and I don't think I can, they are pulling 10million subscribers and this video has 10 million views. I think pulling one view per subscriber is an achievement anyway, even if it's not my cup of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNiafLl0iA

Liberty Tree.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

following a thing called the Gumball Rally 3000 - no doubt a take off, of the famous US and other rallies from the 60's or 70's? It's not a race but I guess a cruise across several countries in your supercar, parking up here and there and letting joe public have a gawk at your wheels.

One of the more popular supercar video posters is a guy called Shmee150. he has a Mclaren, a Ferrari and something else I can't remember. Not driving an exotic super car this year. Taking 3 mates with space for luggage.

This is YoutTube Celebrity. Day 6 of 7 driving days so nearly done.

There's a video for each day but that one sums up how big a following you can get on YT if you do something you love doing. Even the Cops at the border knew the guy from YT and had watched his videos.

I've heard it costs about $70K to get a car in the Rally. Not sure if that is true but I think it's probable.

Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,790 Posts

Been considering this my self now and then , not that I have even joined ,what is it google , YT,gmail , in that people can put their voice out there, make clips , basically about anything , stuff thats talked about here ,who knows what.
    Personally its health subjects for me but really with a bit of imagination there are lot of interesting subjects.

Its difficult for me to join up with the treacherous mob called YT ect, but considering there is not a lot of alternative in this area perhaps.

So the people who do it for the bucks or the people that do it ,just to get the information out there.

And then the money starts rolling in and it goes to peoples heads and they lose themselves in then forgetting the original message they started with

.People become corrupted by loads of money, it effects the personality of people, unless you have been through all that and seen through it , you dont have to be like that or them.

Speak from the heart about something you are interested in and its not about fame and fortune because they are an illusion , if they take you away from your heart.

Its not the thinking and believing anymore ,thats where we where lead astray, they took us from our hearts and turned us into idiots(for them basically)instead.

Forget about what you want, they seemed to say on my first day of school, you are going learn what we want you to learn.

So our hearts have been kicked out the door, but when our hearts speak to us ,hopefully we can listen to it more
    and more.

Believe what the intellect wants or tells you to believe , no matter what it is ,without exceptions ,at your own peril.

Here is a clip on higher ed..........

The Cabal...........“Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King’s horses and all the King’s men couldn’t put Humpty back together again”.

Unobtanium
    Thanks

theres a lot of people doing it and you dont have to put your face online. At least with YT you can have an alias unlike facecrook which insists you link to a real world identity.

I think the people that do the best on YT do put their face on there but it is not always the case. There are some motorcycle YT'ers who stay inside their helmets. Only their voice on line.

As you say there are other avenues but you won't get as much exposure. Places like JustinTV or Vaughnlive, where people broadcast. You could build up a video library and just hit the repeat button and run a 24/7 stream. Or you can run a weekly time slot show.
    A lot of people use YT to build a base then "offshore" their material elsewhere. Do a 2 hour show and post 1st hour free on YT. Subscribe the 2nd hour. Some stream live to YT and archive the show elsewhere.

I saw some YT channel where the presenter is simply opening boxes of toys and talking about them. Gets 20 million hits per toy. Mindboggling. Obviously if you have a pet that is cute, lazy, stupid, snores or farts a lot that is YT gold and a sure fire ticket to the high life.

Liberty Tree.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

Serpo (8th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    I saw some YT channel where the presenter is simply opening boxes of toys and talking about them. Gets 20 million hits per toy. Mindboggling. Obviously if you have a pet that is cute, lazy, stupid, snores or farts a lot that is YT gold and a sure fire ticket to the high life.
    Thanks for the info , will give it some thought.......

Yes the lovely plastic toys quite often......

which when babies or kids actually touch them, they absorb bromine which inhibits absorption of iodine............

the whole thing is one sick joke......

The Cabal...........“Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King’s horses and all the King’s men couldn’t put Humpty back together again”.