Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New American Dream. Moving back in with your parents. Yay!

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts

The New American Dream. Moving back in with your parents. Yay!

"We All Work As A Team" - Millennials Explain How It's Going Living 'Rent-Free' At Home

"I had an apartment in Chicago," said Meghan Kennihan, 34, a running coach and personal trainer who lives in her folks' finished basement in La Grange. "It was tiny and expensive. I was miserable. I moved back. Now, I have a bedroom plus an area for my scrapbooking hobby and another for my exercise equipment. It's like having my own apartment except I have more space than I can afford to have in an apartment."
    Not only is there more space, but the price is right. Millennials have been able to save on rent, and are just trying to chip in other ways around the house where possible, as 24 year old Dean Pearce explains.
    "My parents have done so much for me, and now they're letting me live here rent-free, so I try to help out. I pick up my sister from school, do the dishes or whatever chore needs to be done. My mom makes dinner. We all work as a team."
    As a matter of fact, the trend of kids living at home with their parents has gotten so strong that home builders are now designing homes with just that in mind. "One out of six buyers have or plan to have a grown child at home" said Richard Bridges, Chicago division sales manager at David Weekly Homes. For a mere $35,000-plus, Richard says the plan can include a bedroom/bathroom suite in a finished basement to accommodate the kids who inevitably will be returning home to live.

Chicago area builder PulteGroup says in their new models, kids can enjoy a bedroom/bathroom suite with a kitchenette and separate living space. "Our NexGen option is the greatest in housing since indoor plumbing." said Jeff Roos, western regional president at Lennar Corp.

In summary, it looks like things are going well for kids who are moving back home, all things considered. Rent is affordable, and now parents are even taking it upon themselves to buy houses that have the look and feel of one's own personal apartment for their children to return home to someday. It is safe to say that this is quickly becoming the new American Dream for current and future generations.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...rent-free-home

Now that I moved back in with my parents I can smoke pot all day and drink at night with my friends.
    Since I moved back home my mom gives me an allowance so I don't even need a job anymore
    Nothing beats homemade dinner and sleeping in late. Mom even washes my clothes. I spend almost all waking hours gaming now
    Chances are I will inherit this house anyway. Hope the old man dies soon so he will get off my back.
    After I moved back home I was able to get government aid. The extra money helps and I don't have to pay it back.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ximmy For This Useful Post:

agnut (28th April 2016),Jewboo (27th April 2016),midnight rambler (27th April 2016),Neuro (27th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Re: The New American Dream. Moving back in with your parents. Yay!

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

My son is 26, employed and lives with me because he can't afford to live on his own. This is the new norm.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mamboni For This Useful Post:

Hillbilly (27th April 2016)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

my idea - don't stop with import tariff on goods, add tariff on foreign labor -- indian techies, mexican labor....and everything in between

US workers and wages are under relentless attack by nyc/dc -- especially brutal if you are low on the hate crime rank hierarchy. the US nigs and mexicans weren't enough in number nor skill to get it done.....so they've opened the floodgates to int'l anything-but-white hirings

the lowest of the low is white US male

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheka. For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (28th April 2016),ximmy (28th April 2016)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

My three kids are all married, all own homes, have babies and have built great careers. I, and they, must have screwed this new American dream up somehow
    If you're offended by any of my posts tough shit!
    "Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"
    If you're not prepared for what's coming it's already too late!
    Niggers will never be satisfied!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joshua01 For This Useful Post:

Shami-Amourae (28th April 2016),ximmy (28th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 4,272 Posts

Everything is free, everything. Free food, water, heat, electricity, everything. Only one asshole has to pay and that's me. Wonder why I have a bad attitude at times?
    Jackie did it and you know it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cebu_4_2 For This Useful Post:

ximmy (28th April 2016)

Thanks

Speculation and an overly generous welfare system is the cause of much of this, at least in Norway that is the case. Some live over their abilities though which i suspect is the case with many of these people.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua01 View Post
    My three kids are all married, all own homes, have babies and have built great careers. I, and they, must have screwed this new American dream up somehow
    Good job. You can usually judge how good the parent is by how successful their kids are.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shami-Amourae View Post
    Good job. You can usually judge how good the parent is by how successful their kids are.
    Thanks but all I did was keep them on the rails growing up and do my best to give them good guidance. The kids deserve the credit for taking that and making good use of it. Many parents do the exact same thing as I did but ultimately it's the kids who are in control of their lives, not the parents. Those parents that are totally devoted to doing whatever they can to set the kids up for success while bringing them up do not fail or succeed, the kids do.
    If you're offended by any of my posts tough shit!
    "Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"
    If you're not prepared for what's coming it's already too late!
    Niggers will never be satisfied!!

Palladium
    Thanks

Great avatar, Cheka.