Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Bitcoin

Thanks
    Thanked 8,816 Times in 4,307 Posts

Re: Tell me about Bitcoin

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    The only realistic viable alternative, as far as I can tell, open to this author, is direct bartering of goods and services, without a medium of exchange, which has its advantages in avoiding third parties taking their cut, but in general great disadvantages in that you can not create a market place for goods and services, which means that rarely buyer and seller would optimize their return. Iow John Smith wants to buy bacon for labour but the butcher doesn't need new horse shoes which John Smith is particularly good at making. Instead he is asked to sharpen his knives, which he never did well before. Johns brother Adam Smith is good a sharpening knives though, but he wants a birthday cake for his daughter, but perhaps the baker wants to trade a birthday cake for horse shoes? So that John Smith can eat bacon... Or perhaps John and Adam hasn't spoken to each other for years because of a sour barter deal, and the butcher trades some poorly cut pork scraps for some blunt knives. Adams daughter never got a birthday cake and the baker had to carry his flour himself from the mill, since the foot of his horse had an infection, and his horse was taken to the butcher who tried to barter it away as prime pork...
    Barter has it's place on a small scale and I myself have done bartering with great success. Labor for labor most of the time. But like your scenario above points out it's not very good when it comes to accepting payment as a business.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Neuro (25th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

The only realistic viable alternative, as far as I can tell, open to this author, is direct bartering of goods and services, without a medium of exchange, which has its advantages in avoiding third parties taking their cut, but in general great disadvantages in that you can not create a market place for goods and services, which means that rarely buyer and seller would optimize their return. Iow John Smith wants to buy bacon for labour but the butcher doesn't need new horse shoes which John Smith is particularly good at making. Instead he is asked to sharpen his knives, which he never did well before. Johns brother Adam Smith is good a sharpening knives though, but he wants a birthday cake for his daughter, but perhaps the baker wants to trade a birthday cake for horse shoes? So that John Smith can eat bacon... Or perhaps John and Adam hasn't spoken to each other for years because of a sour barter deal, and the butcher trades some poorly cut pork scraps for some blunt knives. Adams daughter never got a birthday cake and the baker had to carry his flour himself from the mill, since the foot of his horse had an infection, and his horse was taken to the butcher who tried to barter it away as prime pork...
    A modern economy cannot function without a medium of exchange (money). Your post does a good job showing why.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

4. The Following User Says Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

Neuro (25th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    A modern economy cannot function without a medium of exchange (money). Your post does a good job showing why.
    Bartering as the only form of commerce can only function in a small low tech village IMO. I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility in my lifetime. Post-SHTF...
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Barter has it's place on a small scale and I myself have done bartering with great success. Labor for labor most of the time. But like your scenario above points out it's not very good when it comes to accepting payment as a business.
    I have done bartering frequently as well, exchanging adjustments for artwork, massage, dinners, car servicing...
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

Thanks

I have done bartering frequently as well, exchanging adjustments for artwork, massage, dinners, car servicing...
    I once designed a facade renovation for a carpet/window cleaning business in exchange for carpet/window cleaning for my house. But to your point, how often does a carpet/window cleaning business need a elevation drawing of a new facade, while at the same time an architect could use some carpet/window cleaning?? For the rare occasions in our modern economy where such needs happen to overlap, it's a cool thing, but we could never count on this as the primary method of economic activity.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks

What other types of "servicing" have you traded your skills for??
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    What other types of "servicing" have you traded your skills for??
    Notch notch I say no more...

But what I meant was an oil change and changing the filters.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neuro For This Useful Post:

madfranks (25th September 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Blockchain technology is a double edged sword though. Decentralized it is a tool that could free all of mankind. Centralized (state controlled) it can be used to enslave us all.
    How could it be centralized in control? I thought, by design, that would be impossible with bitcoin. The only thing I can think of, is bitcoin is ahead of it's time and .gov could work on an "approved" or "backed by the gov" type of coin as a competitor. But even then, the people buying bitcoins wouldn't trust a government cryptocurrency. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I found this interesting link regarding the total value of bitcoin, compared to other types of investments, stocks, US dollars, etc.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how...ive-2017-06-21
    life is good.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,816 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    How could it be centralized in control?
    Say for example the Federal Reserve gets around and creates it's own "digital dollar". All member banks would likely use a Proof of Stake algorithm instead of a proof of work. While it would technically be Blockchain technology it would be centralized. Bitcoin itself could never be centralized due to the nature of it's initial release. But the technology itself is open source and could be made to be centralized by a state.

I thought, by design, that would be impossible with bitcoin.
    With Bitcoin yes, it cannot be centralized. But the technology is freely available and there is nothing preventing a state from creating it's own centralized blockchain.

The only thing I can think of, is bitcoin is ahead of it's time and .gov could work on an "approved" or "backed by the gov" type of coin as a competitor. But even then, the people buying bitcoins wouldn't trust a government cryptocurrency. Any thoughts on that?
    Most Bitcoin enthusiast would not under any circumstances trust a government issued cryptocurrency. They might trade in it, they might even transact in it if it's beneficial for them to do so. But trust would still be in Bitcoin and other decentralized currencies. Kind of like Gold and Silver, we hoard it, but we certainly do not pay our taxes with it.

Also, I found this interesting link regarding the total value of bitcoin, compared to other types of investments, stocks, US dollars, etc.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how...ive-2017-06-21
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Hitch (26th September 2017),madfranks (26th September 2017),Neuro (29th September 2017)

Zinc
    Thanks

The price has been skyrocketing in recent years. Now is the time to invest in bitcoin, it's going to be worth it in the long run