Tikka have clearly been listening to their customers and have updated their T3 to a new T3X. I'm starting to sound like a marketing guy.

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x

I really like the Tikka's. I've never fired one but had the chance to handle one at a couple gun shows and get a feel for the action. When you pick one up it's got a really sexy feel to it. You're hands are all yeah baby caressing the thing. hmmmm

From what I can tell the main changes are:

• Modified grip that allows you to change out the pistol grip from something larger or longer. Don't know if you can get something like a thumb hole without changing the whole stock but it will be interesting to see.
  • Foam inside the stock. Again not sure if it is an insert or if they just filled it up with foam. I've heard both so not sure. I guess some recoil reduction there. People say less noise but I'm not sure why that is a problem
  • Metal bolt shroud. This seems to be a big deal. Maybe its more durable or improves the action smoothness? I will need to get my hands on one to see on that.
  • Top rail. I don't know if there is much going on here. I have to say I really don't know so will need to see what others are saying
  • Enlarged ejection port - this is the big one for me. The port is slightly elongated and rounded out a bit more at each end. The main thing is the port is deeper now and it is possible to load a cartridge through the port

This means this rifle is now practical as an F class competition rifle. The reason being you can't have more than 1 round in the rifle at a time. I like the Savage as well but I would prefer to pay the extra and get a Tikka. And I would like to spend some time doing F class comps. Maybe not really serious but the Tikka T3 was not ideal.

Now this new T3X solves the issues of chambering a single round at a time, You don't have to detach the mag to do it.

I like. I want. hmmm

There aren't many reviews with a trip to the range yet. Mostly unboxings.

Here's a review and a trip to the range with a .243

I think the accuracy is very good with Tikka's new ammo as well. Pretty impressive. I also think this gun will be very popular.