Thread: How Trolls Are Ruining the Internet

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

How Trolls Are Ruining the Internet

http://time.com/4457110/internet-trolls/

How Trolls Are Ruining the Internet

(((Joel Stein)))

August 18, 2016 7:09 AM ET

They’re turning the web into a cesspool of aggression and violence. What watching them is doing to the rest of us may be even worse

This story is not a good idea. Not for society and certainly not for me. Because what trolls feed on is attention. And this little bit–these several thousand words–is like leaving bears a pan of baklava.

[...]

But trolling has become the main tool of the alt-right, an Internet-grown reactionary movement that works for men’s rights and against immigration and may have used the computer from Weird Science to fabricate Donald Trump. Not only does Trump share their attitudes, but he’s got mad trolling skills: he doxxed Republican primary opponent Senator Lindsey Graham by giving out his cell-phone number on TV and indirectly got his Twitter followers to attack GOP political strategist Cheri Jacobus so severely that her lawyers sent him a cease-and-desist order.

The alt-right’s favorite insult is to call men who don’t hate feminism “cucks,” as in “cuckold.” Republicans who don’t like Trump are “cuckservatives.” Men who don’t see how feminists are secretly controlling them haven’t “taken the red pill,” a reference to the truth-revealing drug in The Matrix. They derisively call their adversaries “social-justice warriors” and believe that liberal interest groups purposely exploit their weakness to gain pity, which allows them to control the levers of power. Trolling is the alt-right’s version of political activism, and its ranks view any attempt to take it away as a denial of democracy.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

brosil (19th August 2016),cheka. (18th August 2016),collector (20th August 2016),Hermie (18th August 2016),hoarder (19th August 2016),Jewboo (18th August 2016),midnight rambler (18th August 2016),Tumbleweed (19th August 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Re: How Trolls Are Ruining the Internet

Obviously, it's a "problem" that legislators will "have to address."

The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

hoarder (19th August 2016),midnight rambler (18th August 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

(((They))) are now freaking out.
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

crimethink (18th August 2016)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

love reading msm propaganda with comment sections -- the 'trolls' shredding the lies in the article

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheka. For This Useful Post:

crimethink (18th August 2016),hoarder (19th August 2016),mick silver (20th August 2016),Tumbleweed (19th August 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

More fucking whining from another metrosexual I'm-better-than-you-because-I'm-a-progressive thin-skinned libtard:
    "oh my, the trolls on line are so mean and scary and they called me bad names! This is all Trump's fault! I'm a victim of hate! OMG." I think what I find most objectionable about the leftists is their passive-aggressive two-faced mock-shocked slimey unprincipled weasily personas. You see, when a whiney leftist calls Trump a violent misogynist chauvinist pig-dog, he is not enaged in hate speech. No no no, he is a sensitive caring progressive who supports unfettered third trimester abortions (champion of women's right don't you know) and is merely helping the reader to understand Trump. When leftists call Trump a nazi and racist, these are not terms of hate. Rather, these are analytic terms employed in the service of the public by a sensitive caring progressive who is incapable of hating anyone.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mamboni For This Useful Post:

boogietillyapuke (19th August 2016),Carl (19th August 2016),crimethink (18th August 2016),Jewboo (18th August 2016),madfranks (18th August 2016),messianicdruid (18th August 2016),mick silver (20th August 2016),midnight rambler (18th August 2016),Tumbleweed (19th August 2016),woodman (18th August 2016)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

IF you let them guide you or pat attention to them they mean something but if you really don't pay attention to them, as I do, then they are really nothing..........I don't even know what a troll really is, why hell maybe I am one and don't even know it kekekekekek

V
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
    IF you let them guide you or pat attention to them they mean something but if you really don't pay attention to them, as I do, then they are really nothing..........I don't even know what a troll really is, why hell maybe I am one and don't even know it kekekekekek

V
    <<<<< Troll!
    If you're offended by any of my posts tough shit!
    "Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"
    If you're not prepared for what's coming it's already too late!
    Niggers will never be satisfied!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,817 Times in 4,307 Posts

I prefer the /Pol/ Time cover myself.

Last edited by Ares; 19th August 2016 at 05:01 AM.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (18th August 2016)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

author is a flaming racist --- defending jewish control of hollywood and whining about indians moving into his town

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Stein

In 2008, Stein, being Jewish himself, wrote an article for the Los Angeles Times titled "Who runs Hollywood? C'mon". It attempted to highlight and yet argue against the importance of supposed Jewish control over Hollywood

In July 2010, Stein wrote a humor column for Time in which he expressed his discomfort at the impact immigration of Indians has had on his hometown of Edison, New Jersey.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheka. For This Useful Post:

hoarder (19th August 2016),Jewboo (18th August 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce View Post

V
    It's a creature from Norwegian fairytales.